Sign in to follow this  
Babstreefern

Oxon Hall Touring Park

Just had an email from Oxon Hall Touring Park in Shrewsbury.  They are re-opening on 14 July, and because I was put on hold (should have gone on 19 April), I've got priority booking for the next 48 hours.  Reading the T&Cs (which I love doing:D), it states "still following Government guidelines".  So I will still hang fire, and wait for confirmation of its official opening date.  Knowing my luck, I'll pick a date, and probably not be able to go because it still can't open.  When told back in April that I could pre-book only once for me to keep my deposit.  If cancelled again (doesn't state whether I cancel or they cancel), I can only book once or I will lose my deposit.  So a bit iffy

Sounds positive! 

I've just received a letter from my grand-daughter that her wedding is now off which was for the 1 August.  My reason for going to Shrewsbury was to do a trial run towing the caravan (my first time of towing it), which is 2 hours from where I live.  If I was ok with it, I would then tow the caravan to Windsor to Swiss Farm Touring Park at Henley, now I don't have to stay in the hotel, which I doubt that will be on the cards anytime soon anyway.  So will be going to Shrewsbury on 26 July.  The park opens on the 14th.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Hope you enjoy yourself in Shropshire.  We have lived in the county since the 80s and love it.

Shrewsbury is a nice town once things open up. I believe there is park and ride by Oxon site. Also one at Harlescott wih a huge car park. Next to big Tesco with fuel station too.

Car parking at Shrewsbury Abbey is free on Sundays .

Edited by 664DaveS

My wife informed me Shropshire has free parking on Sundays . Telford and Wrekin are a separate council so different rules apply.e.g. if you go to Ironbridge, which is lovely.

Thanks guys for your input.  Much appreciated.  I actually just got off the phone from speaking to the lady at Oxon Hall.  She says that, more than likely, the facilities may not be open, which I don't mind.  Hoping to go to Carding Mill Valley as well.  Always wanted to do a small hike there as it looks lovely, and of course, want to see Ironbridge.  There is a P&R at Oxon Hall.  Only five minutes from the site:D

6 minutes ago, Babstreefern said:

Hoping to go to Carding Mill Valley as well.  Always wanted to do a small hike there 

Best of luck trying to social distance in the Carding Mill Valley, several sections are quite narrow.

• I disagree 1

1 hour ago, MalH said:

Best of luck trying to social distance in the Carding Mill Valley, several sections are quite narrow.

Here's a more pleasant response for you to consider next time: "enjoy yourselves but please be careful in the narrow sections where social distancing may be a bit more challenging". 

This forum is terrible for smart / derogatory / negative comments! Weirdly though, I find it quite entertaining. 

• Like 1
  • I do not understand 4

Posted (edited)

We popped down to Ironbridge today as it's close.  Quiet,as a bit cooler. Parking was free at the moment. They have stopped parking on the riverfront and put barriers in to widen footpaths.

The famous pie shop and ice cream shop next door were open for take away. Had a very nice pastie and coffee!

Last time we visited the riverside was closed, flood barriers up. River very high and fast!

Much lower and sedate today.

You can get a bus from Shrewsbury to Ironbridge, its a nice scenic run. If you have a bus pass you can't use it on park and ride. OK on others. Arriva run most here, since retirement have used ours a bit before lockdown!

Enjoy your visit.

Edited by 664DaveS

Thanks all, I will.  When I booked to go back in April, it was not only to get used to towing, but I really needed a break as I'd been visiting my hubby in hospital for virtually the whole of 2019, and he died in August.  So was absolutely exhausted and totally depressed, so wanted a break.  By the time I organised his funeral, and other things going on, including my aunt who died in the September, I decided to leave breaks until Spring of this year, then the virus came in.  Not been my luck for the last 18 months

• Like 1

15 hours ago, swirly182 said:

Here's a more pleasant response for you to consider next time: "enjoy yourselves but please be careful in the narrow sections where social distancing may be a bit more challenging". 

This forum is terrible for smart / derogatory / negative comments! Weirdly though, I find it quite entertaining. 

Most people on here have a sense of humour.......