Sign in to follow this  
Seizingup

Insurance for caravan value over £30000

Hello ,

has any of you experience of getting a decent quote for a £30k plus caravan?

Just got CCC renewal quote for £670.

Granted, I have a twin axle Adria Alpina, which cannot be fitted with Al Ko wheel lock, as the Al Ko brake drum size prevents fitment, so do not have receivers, that ups the cost, no doubt.
Adding a tracker will cost as much as any reduction in premium, so likely no advantage  there.

I realise an expensive van is always going to be equally expensive to insure, so will probably have to just go with the flow and take it on the chin.

Got a few online quotes, with Towergate the best at £100 less, most other insurers decline to quote on a  van costing over £30k but, annoyingly, only tell you that having just spent an age inputting all the details.

Any pointers gratefully received.

You mention "renewal" so I assume it was previously insured by CMC. How does the old premium payable compare to the new premium payable?    

Posted (edited)

there is so much effecting your insurance that it is difficult to offer advice on just value alone. Alko wheel locks are not the only insurance approved devices, do you have other wheel locks, hitch lock etc. Where is the van stored, Cassoa site, driveway? Why no tracker? your happy to pay £30k plus for a van but not a couple of hundred quid for a tracker?  The benefits of a tracker are not just your insurance premium but making your van less attractive to thieves, and easier to recover if it is stolen.

It's been many years since I worked as an underwriter but the lack of tracker on such an expensive van would put me off wanting to quote. Insurance is there for peace of mind, just in case, but keeping the van secure is first and foremost your own responsibility. 

Edited by PMW
  • I agree completely 1

What is the benefit of a tracker other than reducing premium?

1) Thieves dont know about its fitment and dont care anyway.

2) Knowing the type of criminals that steal caravans there is no way I would want a caravan back if it wasnt recovered within the first hour as it would be un inhabitable, 

• I agree completely 2

I have pointed this out on many previous occasions but here goes again.........

A tracker does NOT protect anything against being stolen, and it MAY assist in recovery of a stolen caravan. 

I consider trackers to be a waste of money (because of the above) so invest my money in physical security measures. None of them are 100% effective BUT they offer the benefit of delaying the commission of any theft (which a tracker,  by the very nature of its unknown  presence, doesn’t) 

I pay insurance, if my caravan does get stolen my insurance company pay for a replacement. I would rather it doesn’t get stolen so I take all reasonable steps to prevent its theft in the first place, that involves physical security such as wheel and hitch locks, and they don’t have an annual subscription attached to them!

You pays your money and you make your choice.

The premium quoted does seem rather high but, as has been said, there are a large number of factors that influence premiums. The only advice I can offer is to shop around as much as possible. 

Andy

• Like 1
  • I agree completely 3

Thanks all for the responses.

I have  2 Nemesis  wheel clamps on one side, a Stronghold clamp on the other side and an AlKo hitchlock fitted while stored at home.

Will use just the Nemesis clamps and hitchlock while on sites.

I accepted that insurance would be much more expensive when we placed the order and just simply paid the difference on the existing previous van policy.

Probably was not expecting the renewal premium to double, so raised an eyebrow to say the least.

I am totally confident that the van is as safe as it reasonably can be on our property where it is stored.

It would be very difficult to extricate it without damaging the van considerably or demolishing 2 reinforced dwarf brick walks a metre high and removing 2 locked vehicles all in view of neighbours. Of course I realise there is no absolute guarantee!

Given all this, if it was stolen, I would not want it back, because it will have been damaged to some degree and do not have much faith in authorities being very interested anyway. So a tracker, purely in my own opinion, is a waste of money and would not neccessarily provide a satisfactory outcome in any case.

Would rather pay the extra premium at the end of the day, we have made our choice of van, which will be our last (again🤥) and intend to enjoy it. We can afford it, but do not like being taken for a ride, the same routine is done for our car insurance every year, where we can insure our 2 cars, worth much more than the caravan for considerably less. 
Of course, I realise the risks are very different from an insurers standpoint.

so hey ho.

thanks again all

A tracker should be backed up by signage, so it is not unseen, just unfound. 

If you don't sign your tracker then of course it will not deter theft. Contrary to what some might think, insurance companies know what they are doing, they know what reduces risk and what doesn't. It's the foundation of their industry. They offer a discount if you fit a tracker not from the goodness of their hearts, but because they deter theft. That doesn't mean that Andy is not dead right in making the van physically too difficult to bother with, my van lives at home, in the garden, behind a pair of six foot gates, hitchlocked to a towball welded to a bar which is locked to the gate posts and clamps the gates shut, wheels are locked, corner steadies are locked and then just to be sure there is a bollard as well. 

If your attitude is, i won't fit a tracker because if stolen I don't want the van back then shouldn't you expect increased premiums?

As to the OP try Lifesure ... https://www.lifesure.co.uk

The discount offered for having a tracker is rarely, if ever, greater than the tracker subscription anyway, so financially trackers don’t, in my view, make any sense at all. Unless that is you want your caravan back again IF it ever gets stolen. That’s not what I would want. 

Andy

• I agree completely 2

Posted (edited)

Trackers do work as  was shown some time ago when three Swift caravans all fitted were stolen from Preston caravans. The police managed to arrest all involved before any of them had left the city. The recovery rate is about 70% for some which is certainly worthwhile and in general the recovery is very quick so no damage should be done so getting it back is not a problem. The problem there is if it is recovered some time later after others have used it but by then you have probably been paid out anyway.

Basically you have to look at the security of your asset and decide for yourself if the cost is worth the extra security to you.

Losing a caravan with lots of personal effects inside is very traumatic so there is more to it than just the security point. Even worse if you are away it might leave you stranded miles from home.

I would not advertise a tracker as fitted as that may mean the thieves will try and trace it and do more damage, but against that it might prevent a theft so it is not cut and dried.

As for the quotes I would stick with the C&CC  policy for the extra quoted. Towergate is a large and reputable broker but they do not quote a DEFAQTO rating for their policy which suggests that something is missing, although there also was no copy policy or full details of the insurance that I could find. The FEEFO ratings are simply how easy it is to take out a policy, they are all easy to set up, so to me it is of no relevance.

The identity of the insurer is not shown either, although that may be down to them using several, I would want to know who the insurer was though, before going further.

We have the C&CC policy which has a five star DEFAQTO rating and is as comprehensive as any I know of. From experience the claims service is excellent which is what counts most if you need it.

When I last looked at quotes the C&CC was in the middle of the quotes on cost which is where you would want to be. Those at the cheaper end are likely to have cut costs somewhere to get the premiums down which rules them out for me.

You did not buy the cheapest caravan so why risk the cheapest insurance.

Using the Nemisis Ultra gets us a 10% discount if that helps.

Edited by Wildwood
  • Thanks 1

You could try Ripe insurance-underwritten by Aviva . Our new £35000 Bucanneer cruiser is £330 with the CAMHC inc new for old and the movers covered too. We have the Alko wheel locks hitch lock tracker and alarm all fitted as standard except the hitch lock so find your quote surprisingly high.

Posted (edited)

Completely agree with you, Wildwood, while it may appear a bit over the top, i am not one to skimp on things like this. We have only used  CMC or CCC club insurance throughout our caravanning career.

Just appeared a bit over the top, but lack of wheel lock and an alarm does obviously increase the risk.

Both club quotes are similar, so will stick with what we have.

FWIW, thanks for the tip, Jezzerb, had a look, at least the site stopped proceeedings when the alarm question came up and saved me inputting all the detail, only then to be informed, so a good site in that respect.

Had considered the Towergate quote after checking policy clauses.

Although it does not affect us in respect of our main tug, they do not insure over 95% towing ratio outfits, as has been mentioned on here before, so checked that was still the case as my back up tow vehicle would not be within 95%, should it ever be used.

So CCC it is

thanks all

Edited by Seizingup

2 hours ago, Wildwood said:

I would not advertise a tracker as fitted as that may mean the thieves will try and trace it and do more damage, but against that it might prevent a theft so it is not cut and dried.

that's the key point. If someone decides they like the look of your van, but no they are gong to have to rip it apart to find a tracker it becomes less attractive to them, and hopefully they move on. 

I have certain devices embedded in my van which will allow me to track it if it were stolen, and they are so located that even if somebody could trace them with some kind of signal locator getting to them would be next to impossible. 

The only reason insurance companies offer discount for a tracker is that it (obviously) increases the chance the van will be recovered, probably returned to you and they save a fortune.  The question you have to ask yourself is - would I want it back? I certainly wouldn't.

• I agree completely 2

I had a similar problem when I came to insure our Knaus - with a total value - with all the kit etc, at over £40k.  Quite a few insurers simply refused to quote, including Saga who were our previous insurers. I eventually took out CMC cover - the insurance process was simple, the various people I spoke to were helpful and accommodating  and with all the various discounts, I am paying well under a £100 less than the OP, which I think is reasonable.  On a couple of occasions I had a problem with both the alarm and the Alko locks and couldn't activate / fit them and a quick phone call to the Club altered the cover and premium temporarily, until I sorted the problem out - with no 'admin' charge.

As I have posted on here before, I had to make a claim last year when some scrote fired an air rifle at our van whilst on site and caused £1500 worth of damage.  The claims experience was nothing short of brilliant and I had no hesitation in renewing  with them this year - after all, that is the ultimate test of whether or not your insurance is worth it.  What's more, they didn't load the premium as a result of having made a claim.

• I agree completely 1

Agree with the above, we've been with the CMC since we bought the van. Cheaper cover is definitely available but a couple of years back, following pothole damage to the axle, they approved a claim for a new one without any drama or loading of premium. 

3 hours ago, richardandros said:

I had to make a claim last year when some scrote fired an air rifle at our van whilst on site and caused £1500 worth of damage

that is disgusting. just when you think you have heard it all, up pops another low life waste of oxygen.

I got this seasons insurance for my £27000 caravan from C&MH for just over £200.

No wheel clamp required!

Two security devices must be used including factory fitted alarm.

Three days maximum on driveway at home at any one time.

Stored in CASSOA gold facility.

I take first £500 of any claim.

New for old.

C&CC club wanted £500-wheel clamp must be fitted.

Nil excess.

New for old.

It pays to shop around.

3 hours ago, PMW said:

that is disgusting. just when you think you have heard it all, up pops another low life waste of oxygen.

Agree PMW - we were on a lovely site - one we have used before - Wild Rose Caravan Park at Kirby Stephen.  It even has a children's nursery near the entrance - run by the owners.  We were there after having our van serviced at ALV at Tebay - about 10 miles away when, about midnight, some low life thought he'd have a pop at the van.  Think he was aiming for the window but it hit the van about an inch below.  The side panel had to be filled and then re-sprayed and new logos / window seal etc sent from Germany. £1500 and a month without the van , plus two 300 mile trips to take it there and collect it again. Bet he thought it was a huge joke.

• Sad 1

Just renewed our cover with CMC,prior to renewal got quotes from C&CC and Caravan Guard,both much more expensive.

Ian

Had a Toyota Estimate Hybrid insured for $11000 ( approx £5500) When I got a new BMW X4 M40i costing £60000, the insurance premium was only slightly more than the Toyota one ? On questioning this I was told the risk of theft was obviously much higher on the Toyota ? I didn't complain but made me wonder , if in an accident I bet the BMW would be much more expensive to repair than the Toyota ? Obviously us BMW drivers must be thought of as being " low risk" ????