Chrisw

Elddis Crusader zephyr 2018

Posted (edited)

I was Washing & polishing my Caravan yesterday And noticed that all the water runs to the centre of the caravan roof at the front sky light. ( I have the caravan slightly tilted forward for the water to run)

what I have noticed is there is a clear dip in the caravan at the point of the hinge for the long skylight. Has anyone else noticed this? Is it normal?? It means whenever it rains the water will pool here and it was very green under the hinge part itself but it just does not look right. Almost like lack of support in the roof at this part.  Would be happy to hear from anyone who has noticed this or have any information on this.

Edited by Chrisw

It is a well known ‘feature’ of the stargazer roof and although it does sag there are few reports of it actually leaking. We store our Buccaneer nose up to ensure the water does not pool around the front hinge of this rooflight and yes ours is the same as were all others I looked at when buying our 2018 model last year.

• Thanks 1

Thank you very much for your reply, you have certainly made me feel a lot better I was thinking something was wrong.

i will set the til toward the back as you suggest. 

do you also have the issue of the wall paper tapes curling inside the van?

Yes indeed, another ‘feature’ of Elddis/Buccaneer caravans! You can apply gentle heat with a hairdryer and reattach using a small wallpaper edging roller for example but they will peel away again. The wall board has a slightly textured waterproof finish and this seems to prevent the adhesive from sticking properly. 

Do look v carefully under the window rubbers around the 3 x front windows as the top hinge bar is known to work loose and allow moisture in via the screw-holes. Check nearside window particularly. Do you have a moisture meter if not I would suggest a prudent purchase.

Also get on some steps and check no cracks around the plastic frame of the Heki  rooflight towards the back of the caravan.

Do not be put off though, we have had 3 of these caravans in last 9 years and still like this brand. All brands can have issues.  Make sure issues as described are sorted and you should be good to go - enjoy......when you can!!!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Has the aerial in you van performed ok? Or have you changed it out?
Really appreciate all this. I bought my van new in 2018 and haven’t even managed to get away in it yet due to some silly reasons and now of course the famous virus, I will get away this year and finally be able to enjoy. Van is lovely really happy with it, I am finding some niggles of course, star gazer roof light won’t stay open On the stays, no TV bracket installed and a bit of a nightmare to install due to fridge and microwave, I keep finding screws around the van and not finding where they have come from. But apart from these things I do love the van! I am preparing everything now for the first trip!! I will purchase a moisture meter and keep an eye out for the issues you have advised of. Once again thank you very much for the information.

We have the 2019 zephyr and like you i noticed the pooling of water. I just clean the roof and lift roof hatches and clean the green from inside.

Aerial so far has been fine. We did have on /off panel on the fridge play up and the elec ignition on the cooker failed but both sorted under warranty.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Thank you Colin, Appreciated,

I have the van set up at home and actually I have a good signal no mater where the aerial is pointing at the moment just I hear the 570 is super and I like the ability to tune in using the built in signal finder and to know where the aerial is pointing from inside the van. I want to change the radio to DAB and iphone friendly radio and I don’t think the teleplusx2 supports DAB?

also on installing the TV bracket, the microwave needs to come out in order to get something to fix behind the wall panel there. I installed the Avtex TAK86TM however you cannot Install this normally due to the fridge, you would have to screw too close to it! I was able to modify the bracket and turn it upside down to get a decent fixing but had to locktite all the nuts to prevent them coming loose! Cant help but thinking we should have had a bracket here installed at factory!

have anyone had the issue of the chrome bubbling on the 4 corner handles?

Edited by Chrisw

On 28/05/2020 at 06:50, VOLVOVANNER said:

Yes indeed, another ‘feature’ of Elddis/Buccaneer caravans! You can apply gentle heat with a hairdryer and reattach using a small wallpaper edging roller for example but they will peel away again. The wall board has a slightly textured waterproof finish and this seems to prevent the adhesive from sticking properly. 

Do look v carefully under the window rubbers around the 3 x front windows as the top hinge bar is known to work loose and allow moisture in via the screw-holes. Check nearside window particularly. Do you have a moisture meter if not I would suggest a prudent purchase.

Also get on some steps and check no cracks around the plastic frame of the Heki  rooflight towards the back of the caravan.

Do not be put off though, we have had 3 of these caravans in last 9 years and still like this brand. All brands can have issues.  Make sure issues as described are sorted and you should be good to go - enjoy......when you can!!!!!

I have been testing the caravan this week, and I note that when using the shower the water pulses and with it, every pulse brings scolding hot water. Is it normal and can it be resolved, I would hate someone to get burnt??

No it should not do that however, I am always ultra careful using the shower. Usual method is quick rinse, soap all over and then final rinse so v little water used. I do not stand and soak in the shower so possibly do not run it for long enough to get that hot. On the Alde control panel do you have the temp of the water set at the midway point on the temperature scale (so the triangle is half filled)?

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Chrisw said:

I have been testing the caravan this week, and I note that when using the shower the water pulses and with it, every pulse brings scolding hot water

Check if the pulsing is due to the pump cutting in/out when running the shower. 
it maybe a case that the pressure switch needs slight adjustment 

• Thanks 1

We had the issue with the water scalding and we had to reset the pressure switch.  Under the front seat locker there is a little box by the water inlet it flashes with a green light.  Look in your handbook about how to reset it.  This will solve that.

• Thanks 1

Wow thank you all for the feed back and Information. I really think it’s a pressure switch

problem as the pump is kickin in and then turning off. I head about some vans having a valve to stop this problem too. But hat looks you i will try the pressure switch reset!

i am using the half way point on the Alde panel yes sir thank you. The pulsing was the when I was running on electric but the scolding g was not, when I fired up to test on gas that’s when the scolding was happening water was much hotter! Pulsing either way!

i really do appreciate all your help and information guys!

The pull handles should not be bubbling and if your van is still in warranty I would check with the dealer.

Funny you mention the stargazer roof window and i checked it yesterday and can't get it to stay open either. I spoke to my brother in law who has a  Buccaneer commodore and he reckons you need to open it slowly and it will click into place at about 3 inches and 6. Try it today

He was correct. To open it you need to lift very slowly and it will click at about 3 inches and then again at about 8inches.