Sign in to follow this  
Babstreefern

First holiday of the year

Just come back from my first holiday in the caravan.  Got to the secure site first.  Tilted the caravan slightly back on its rear steadies.  Got the brush out and swept loose bits and pieces off the floor, then got the mop and bucket out.  Mopped the floor.  Cleaned (well, dusted really) the tops.  Got my bottle of orange juice out, together with my Kindle, and sat back and read for an hour or more.  Pity about the view (or lack thereof).  Even heard in the distance what sounded like a lawn mower, which made it feel I was on a site (but no smell of freshly cut grass).  Came back home totally relaxed.  The cost £nil:D

• Like 5
  • Haha 3
  • I disagree 1

I did the same.

Went to the storage to get the bedding for a fresh wash, and just opened the blinds and sat there for a while on my emails.

Probably 30 minutes at best, but still very relaxing.

I'm going over mine tomorrow to change the number plate,  I'll  probably do something similar, last time I lay on the bed and fell asleep for half hour.

• Haha 2

I’m really not being funny here or even castigating anyone for being out-and-about …  but where in the “rules” does it say we can wander off to storage on what is categorically a non-essential journey?

I see we can go to work, go out for exercise and sunbathing, play golf or tennis, go to parks and beaches, and view houses for sale. But that seems to be it.

I have lots of jobs to do on the van, but don’t think I should be leaving home to do them … am I missing out?

John

• I agree completely 1

My storage site has recently opened for maintenance only. They've removed the catch so you don't need to touch it for access but the electronic lock is still activated with a fob. A container of sanitizer is fixed to the wall for you to use at the entrance and the toilet facility has been locked. The owner has requested that people don't sit outside their vans sunbathing or having a drink but only visit to do maintenance or collect items in the van. I removed my winter cover to bring it home for repair and I'll be removing stuff stored in the van and storing it at home for the foreseeable future. I'll be returning to do some work on the van if possible soon. The owner also insists that social distancing guidelines must be observed and this proved  to be easy as there was only one other chap down there. I can't see a problem or a risk with this as long as everyone who visits uses just a little common sense. If we get a second wave of the virus and a strict  lock down is re introduced it'll be a different matter.

John 

• Like 2

You are allowed out for recreational purposes as long as you keep the 2m distance. 

If they are encouraging people back to work (with 2m distance) and nonessential shops soon then 'common sense' suggests that doing a few jobs at your van while maintaining 2m distance  should be acceptable.

My opinion is that even if you are allowed out are you happy with the risk to you and others?

Do you have a plan on how to deal with things you might need to touch, gates, doors, petrol pumps, taps etc?

What happens if you break down?

Will you wear a mask?

Etc......

I think there is a lot to consider even if you are 'allowed out'.

It's not only you that you are risking but the people you live with and anyone else who passes where you have been or comes into contact with you.

• I do not understand 1

1 hour ago, Johnaldo said:

I’m really not being funny here or even castigating anyone for being out-and-about …  but where in the “rules” does it say we can wander off to storage on what is categorically a non-essential journey?

I see we can go to work, go out for exercise and sunbathing, play golf or tennis, go to parks and beaches, and view houses for sale. But that seems to be it.

I have lots of jobs to do on the van, but don’t think I should be leaving home to do them … am I missing out?

John

I don’t think you are missing out. Reading the current regulations it seems clear that it would be a non essential journey and therefore is not something I would consider. Cleaning out a caravan etc could in my view should be left to a later date.

Somewhat ironically only two days ago the OP was on here criticising the police for not doing enough to prosecute people who flout the regulations, then in this post boasts of how much she enjoyed her non essential journey!
If everyone just stayed at home unless essential maybe we could all get back to a sense of normality. I would love to just go out and enjoy this lovely weather but my conscience and common sense won’t  allow it.

• Thanks 1
  • I disagree 2

I think the non essential part of the guidance has not applied since 13th May and we are now allowed outside so visiting a caravan in storage ought to be ok. The important thing is to social distance. The guidance does not specifically mention caravan storage as it does not mention almost everything else. https://www.gov.uk/government/news/new-guidance-on-spending-time-outdoors?utm_source=f3fc1c2a-9679-494b-9830-6451ea9e84de&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=govuk-notifications&utm_content=daily

• Like 3

I find it strange that we can now travel anywhere in England to excercise etc...as long as we are home the same day.

We can(those who want to)wait in a que for KFC.

Return to work using car,bike,walk or public transport (adhering to governments advice regarding social distancing).

Have a certain number of relatives in your garden (grandparents,grandchildren etc..)

There are lots more that would also involve coming close to others,handling and touching things,but its frowned upon to jump in the car(possibly alone) drive to compound,get out of car and enter the caravan where you can stay for the day without being in contact with anyone else or touching other peoples property.

Jump back in the car when finished and drive home without meeting anyone or touching anything.

I feel very lucky that ive continued working through this pandemic and I have no underlying conditions.

I really do thank god for that and Im really feeling for the"more mature" folk are not in the best of health and I do understand your worries and concerns,but there has to be a point,somewhere,where we all have to get back out there (with extreme caution).

I hope my post didnt sound rude to any previous posters,but its just my own thoughts:)

• Like 5
  • I agree completely 3

If the van's in storage locally I don't see an issue with visiting it so long as distancing etc is maintained. Much less of a risk than going to the shops.

• Like 3
  • I disagree 1
  • I agree completely 3

Good for you OP.

I've been to mine twice. There really is very little risk to yourself and others if you are sensible and "stay alert". 

• Like 2
  • I disagree 1
  • I agree completely 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Blackrat 51 said:

I don’t think you are missing out. Reading the current regulations it seems clear that it would be a non essential journey and therefore is not something I would consider. Cleaning out a caravan etc could in my view should be left to a later date.

Somewhat ironically only two days ago the OP was on here criticising the police for not doing enough to prosecute people who flout the regulations, then in this post boasts of how much she enjoyed her non essential journey!
If everyone just stayed at home unless essential maybe we could all get back to a sense of normality. I would love to just go out and enjoy this lovely weather but my conscience and common sense won’t  allow it.

You are allowed to make non essential journeys now. In fact I understand you can travel any distance in your car as long as you return home the same day. Visiting my storage site, 20 minutes drive at the most, where there's hardly anyone else around is a lot safer than going food shopping or popping in to a garden center both of which are allowed but I won't do.

Edited by johntog

Why not? 

The plants are "well withered"🤣

• Haha 1

We've been going out to the caravan for Sunday lunch the past couple of weeks. Haven't seen a soul. The view is a tad obscured by trees though. Oh and by the way, it's at Ourgate!

9 minutes ago, swirly182 said:

Why not? 

I'm over 70 and my wife a little younger. My daughter and son in law both work in food retail and I hear to many instances of people, both staff stacking shelves and customers, not practicing social distancing. In fact too many are reaching over other shoppers to remove or replace items, sometimes coming within inches of each other.  We get most large shops online, although that was very difficult to arrange, and our son in law picks up a few things while he's at work. All the time we can do this we're keeping away from shops for the time being.

John

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Paul1957 said:

I think the non essential part of the guidance has not applied since 13th May and we are now allowed outside so visiting a caravan in storage ought to be ok. The important thing is to social distance. The guidance does not specifically mention caravan storage as it does not mention almost everything else. https://www.gov.uk/government/news/new-guidance-on-spending-time-outdoors?utm_source=f3fc1c2a-9679-494b-9830-6451ea9e84de&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=govuk-notifications&utm_content=daily

Paul, I agree that “essential” could have been dropped. But your link is to the Guidance which is a bit generalised  - if you go to the actual Regulations it now says “you cannot leave home without a reasonable excuse” - these are listed as work, food shopping, exercise, medical, funerals, house purchase, plus many many more - but not caravan storage or anything in a similar vein.

There’s too much of this “I think it would be okay if I go out and do such-and-such” going on, and not enough of common sense abiding by the intention of the rules.  Everyone is looking for a way to get around the regulations instead of ways to stick by them … and save lives.

There’s a very high percentage chance that one of those covidiots on Clacton beach today will catch the virus and die, or worse still give it to someone else, who will then die !

John

• I do not understand 1
  • I agree completely 3

4 hours ago, Johnaldo said:

John

If you look around, garden centres are open, as are Halfords, B&Q, B&M, etc.  Where does it say we can't go.  I live 4 miles from my caravan.  Its on the way to the market to get my meat.  I call in on the way.  My 93 year old mother lives in Warrington, roughly 25 miles each way.  I've not seen her since mid-March.  Mr Cummings went a tad further to takes his wife and child over 200 miles, even though his wife was looking like she has actually got the virus.  So where does it say I can't go?  I'm not even close to anyone.  No one was on the site, just me, on my own.  I'm further away from people, then when I'm at home:angry:

• Like 3
  • I disagree 1
  • I agree completely 3

Posted (edited)

__

5 hours ago, Johnaldo said:

John

Lots of " But it's not in the rules " !

And " It's a non-essential journey " !

Sadly simple common-sense appears to go out of the window in these scenarios.

If all the detailed minutiae to determine non-essential journeys and all the precautions to be taken to prevent to prevent spread in daily life were printed, it would take up the same space as the 33 volumes of the Encyclopaedia Britannica sat in the corner of my library.

Folk witter on at all the things you can't do and what determines an essential journey, when in fact there are very few rules and fewer suggestions.

How can a journey to a garden center, a dog groomers, etc. be an essential journey in any stretch of the imagination, it can't but we can do it !

Where are the proscribed lists, there are non, the minimal rules and suggestions rely on common sense to fill in all the gaps.

1) If anyone walking /cycling to take their daily exercise passes their storage compound, no one else is in, they comply with all the distancing rules, they pop in to check everything is OK or collect an item, how should this diversion be labelled ?

2) Exactly the same if someone passes by in their car on the way to the chemist  or supermarket and makes the same diversion with the same conditions ?

Which has the most potential to put you and others at risk 1) or 2) ? In my mind 2).

All anyone can do is to take sensible (see that magical word) precautions to the letter against catching or passing on the virus, which I suspect most on CT do, even then you still may catch it due to the vast swathes of folk bereft of any common sense whatsoever.

I'll not suggest, advise or castigate anyone who decides to visit their caravan in storage, the decision will be theirs and I would expect, as those sensible folk on CT who have already done so, that they take all necessary precautions.

Blackrat 51 said:

In the main, the police were trying, not successfully, to prevent people from not complying with social distancing, the most important aspect of this, the thousands in crowds,............ not quite in the same league as a lone person going to an empty compound, is it ?

Ched said:

Do you have a plan on how to deal with things you might need to touch, gates, doors, petrol pumps, taps etc?

I would think the sensible ( magical word again ) within CT would have this covered from day one, why ? because what you said encompasses all daily life, not just visiting a compound.

What happens if you break down?

Exactly the same as would happen if you broke down going to the shops, chemist, doctors, anywhere,.

Why on earth would it be any different  or is there something mystical about if you broke down visiting a carvan compound which would change things ?

Edited by Silversurf
  • Like 4
  • I agree completely 1

As I said before, it's a question of using just a little bit of common sense IMHO. Checking your van in an almost deserted storage yard that's quite close by is a lot safer than a trip to the coast where there may be a lot of other people, which is allowed. The owner of my storage has been told under controlled condition, social distancing etc, he can allow access for maintenance, repairs etc. I wouldn't travel to the coast myself at the moment anyway as I'm an old bloke who needs access to loos and the damn things are all shut, for obvious reasons. :(

John

ps;  I found I could check my eyesight by looking at car number plates at a distance in my road so avoided an unnecessary 30 mile drive. Will this be deleted?

Just saying :rolleyes:

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Babstreefern said:

If you look around, garden centres are open, as are Halfords, B&Q, B&M, etc.  Where does it say we can't go.  I live 4 miles from my caravan.  Its on the way to the market to get my meat.  I call in on the way.  My 93 year old mother lives in Warrington, roughly 25 miles each way.  I've not seen her since mid-March.  Mr Cummings went a tad further to takes his wife and child over 200 miles, even though his wife was looking like she has actually got the virus.  So where does it say I can't go?  I'm not even close to anyone.  No one was on the site, just me, on my own.  I'm further away from people, then when I'm at home:angry:

The real point here is the wording of the regulations and the amendments made to them. Firstly, it is still an absolute requirement to stay at home unless you have a reasonable excuse to venture out. Reasonable excuses include, shopping, medical needs, a legal obligation such as court attendance, attending to a vulnerable person, to escape harm or injury, to go to work if you cannot work from home, going to a public open space for exercise. The list is not exhaustive. The whole purpose of the regulations isn't just about protection from whether you are likely to come into contact with anyone. It's about minimising ANY possible likelihood of transmitting or receiving the virus through any means.

So rather than quoting the, "Where does it say I can't" or "He did it, why can't I" excuses which a Court will never accept, you must actually consider if you would be able to convince the enforcing authorities beyond a reasonable doubt, that you had a reasonable excuse not to stay at home to control the virus and save lives.

I'm amazed that more storage sites don't operate an appointment system , as does mine. One 'phone call to book a slot gives exclusive access. Last Monday I washed my 'van (not the first to do so recently I was told). I phoned him going in, & phoned him coming out. Easy. Just takes a bit of effort.

On an isolated site with 1000+ pitches spread between 4 distinct compounds I was the only person there. How risky was that? ZERO! The nearest I got to another person was.......out of sight (must get my eyes tested now it's all the rage LOL). It's called using common sense, as already mentioned.

Must say I enjoyed every minute.

It's a simple fact that, sooner or later, every one will risk being exposed to some extent. Hiding away for ever (in the hope of a magic cure) is the only other option, though I don't doubt that some people relish the idea. The rest of us are not so paranoid.

31 minutes ago, Legal Eagle said:

The real point here is the wording of the regulations and the amendments made to them. Firstly, it is still an absolute requirement to stay at home unless you have a reasonable excuse to venture out. Reasonable excuses include, shopping, medical needs, a legal obligation such as court attendance, attending to a vulnerable person, to escape harm or injury, to go to work if you cannot work from home, going to a public open space for exercise. The list is not exhaustive. The whole purpose of the regulations isn't just about protection from whether you are likely to come into contact with anyone. It's about minimising ANY possible likelihood of transmitting or receiving the virus through any means.

So rather than quoting the, "Where does it say I can't" or "He did it, why can't I" excuses which a Court will never accept, you must actually consider if you would be able to convince the enforcing authorities beyond a reasonable doubt, that you had a reasonable excuse not to stay at home to control the virus and save lives.

Very wise words and exactly the point I was trying to make but without the benefit of your expert knowledge.

Please just stay home unless absolutely necessary, which doesn’t include visiting a caravan storage site.

The van will still be there when this is all over.

• Haha 1
  • I agree completely 1

Posted (edited)

On May 13th,the government said that I can travel anywhere in England to visit a beauty spot.

I can visit a beach

I can play tennis on an outdoor court

I can play basketball on an outdoor court

I can swim in an outdoor lake

I can go to a garden centre

Only go to work if its essential and you cannot work from home.....now the workforce is being encouraged to return to work.

Plus more.

None of the above are essential journies which ive now been told I can do.

But going to my caravan 4 miles away where I will probably meet or come into contact with anyone is a "no no"???🤔

Edited by George&Ade
Missed words
  • I agree completely 2

I have been in  since early March, I haven't been shopping  or anywhere else where I may meet people. I take the dogs out once a day and stay out of peoples way, should I meet any. My OH does everything else.  I would love to go and sit in my van for an hour and TBH , I can't see what harm it would do, it would do me a lot of good . We have a card to open the gates and it would be out of the car and into the van, we wouldn't touch anything.  The govt. can't list everything, , thank goodness we can have our cleaners and nannies in and that we can play golf . I don't think that caravans come to mind  very quickly to Boris. 

• Like 3