Sign in to follow this  
Versa11

New to Caravaning, Lake District - Where to stay ?

Hi All, We are both new to the caravan touring world and having only been away for a few day last year as we only bought our first caravan in October of 2019 we are looking for any information on any good caravan sites in the lake district. Obviously if the parks do open but just wanted to start looking now, any ideas would be gratefully received.

We love C&CC Keswick site. Beautifully located on the lake side and an easy walk into Keswick. I also prefer the northern Lake District area as not as crowded as further south. And Whinlatter forest is nearby if, like us, you are into mountain biking - some of my favourite trails.

First question, Versa11 - are you a member of either of the 2 main clubs (C&CC and CMC) as both have a few clubsites in the area.

Secondly, do you want sites with bars, pools and children's amusements, or just large sites without those sorts of facilities, or the smaller 5-van sites?

To get appropriate recommendations you’ll need to give us some clues on your likes and dislikes. Also, an indication of which part of the Lake District you’d like to visit.

John

Living here, I'd say avoid Windermere  and Bowness and as suggested head further north. West in Grizedale area is nice and has less tourists. Too far west and you're near the coast and its a long tow around the SW edge of the Lakes. 

You have a big choice so I'd check out the reviews on UKCS. If you don't know them, I can PM you as the UKCS does not like us posting links on this forum. Silly but still..... 

1 hour ago, KnausCol said:

We love C&CC Keswick site. Beautifully located on the lake side and an easy walk into Keswick. I also prefer the northern Lake District area as not as crowded as further south. And Whinlatter forest is nearby if, like us, you are into mountain biking - some of my favourite trails.

Hi, thanks for that, we will have a look as we too are into our biking. 

1 hour ago, Johnaldo said:

First question, Versa11 - are you a member of either of the 2 main clubs (C&CC and CMC) as both have a few clubsites in the area.

Secondly, do you want sites with bars, pools and children's amusements, or just large sites without those sorts of facilities, or the smaller 5-van sites?

To get appropriate recommendations you’ll need to give us some clues on your likes and dislikes. Also, an indication of which part of the Lake District you’d like to visit.

John

Hi

We are members of the ccm and we are looking for a site with a adult only members as we have no kids, we are into going out on our bikes

1 hour ago, WispMan said:

Living here, I'd say avoid Windermere  and Bowness and as suggested head further north. West in Grizedale area is nice and has less tourists. Too far west and you're near the coast and its a long tow around the SW edge of the Lakes. 

You have a big choice so I'd check out the reviews on UKCS. If you don't know them, I can PM you as the UKCS does not like us posting links on this forum. Silly but still..... 

Yes please, would like to read up on things like that, 

I have used the CMC Troutbeck and Coniston sites and the C&CC Keswick and the Derwentwater sites since I like walking on the hills. Keswick is my preferred one being next to the town so no need to use a car once there which helps since car parks are about £10 for a full day. Coniston is out of the way, but ok for walking the hills around it and has good facilities but it is an odd site being based on a hill. Troutbeck you need to use a car everywhere and suffers with midges (at least when I was there August/September for 3 weeks) plus its facilities were not that good back in 2016. Also used Braithwaite Fold (at Bowness) when it was a CMC site and the C&CC have recently bought a site at Braithwaite which is close to Whinlatter.

The Keswick site is usually full so booking needs to be done well in advance if wanting to go.

It has surprised me to see bikers on the top of hills just following normal walking paths I have struggled to get up but at Whinlatter there are purpose built bike trails through the forest.

I note you have a nice caravan so if you don't need a toilet block and want quiet, have a look at Dockray Meadow Caravan Club Site, don't get many kids on this site due to no toilets,  but well located for the 'not so busy' but very nice east side of the Lakes.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, PaulR said:

I note you have a nice caravan so if you don't need a toilet block and want quiet, have a look at Dockray Meadow Caravan Club Site, don't get many kids on this site due to no toilets,  but well located for the 'not so busy' but very nice east side of the Lakes.

Agreed, been here several times with several good walks and cycle trails from the site. We’ve done most of the others recommended above, we liked Troutbeck Head, I did a lot of cycling from there, Coniston is also good but as said, really is “out of the way”.

The site at Borrowdale near Keswick is fantastic but the final approach can be a challenge and there is a length limit on caravans.

Edited by GaryB1969

We have used Park Coppice at Coniston over many years and prefer its relative isolation with lovely walks, direct access to the Water (for the purists), fell treks and of course the few pubs.

The Lake district is a beautiful part of the country when the sun is shining, just don't forget your brolly and waterproofs.;)

Ravenglass C&CC site. 

Gillside Farm, Glenridding 

Pier Cottage ,Coniston

If you have no children and are not a club member then the Quiet site at Ullswater might suit you.