Sign in to follow this  
Roamer51

It refuses to stick! Help needed please

A little information from the experts please.

I have a 2018 Bailey Genoa and try as I might I can't get the number plate to stay stuck for more than a couple of weeks.

I've tried three different makes of number plate stickers, they do their job on the number plate but not the caravan rear panel.

The plastic was cleaned with methylated spirit the first time and brake cleaner for the other attempts.

Any ideas please? 

Screw it on. I did after our dealer fitted one fell off!

How much of the plate area are you covering with the stickers? 

• Like 1

Clean the area well as it could have silicone mould release on it (same with the back of the number plate) then use decent number plate adhesive strip. I use it from a roll and put three lengths running the length of the plate.

• I do not understand 1

If you must use adhesive tape apply multiple vertical strips rather than horizontal ones which tend to hold moisture seeping from above and that doesn't help adhesion. I prefer to use screws with appropriately coloured caps.

• I agree completely 2

meths leaves a residue on the plastic  
The number plate strips from Halfords come with an alcohol wipe.  This cleans off all residues. 
3 or 4 vertical strips, and I found it almost impossible to remove when changing plate

• I agree completely 3

Another vote for Halfords number plate strips.

Plate stayed put for years and difficult to remove when I changed vans.

Only cost a few quid.

• I agree completely 3

What sort of badge tape did you use? cheap stuff is not very sticky. Try proper 3M badge tape and that should work if you do 3 or 4 vertical strips. Not cheap but always done the job for us.

we always asked the caravan dealer or the car dealer, I admit we only asked them when we changed car or caravan , but it's worth a try.

A good clean with white spirit and industrial velcro! (3 x 1 inch squares) Job done. Dealer fitted plate fell off within 1 day of getting home!

dont use white spirit - it leaves an oily residue.  I use HD Velcro and clean with either meths or Isopropyl Alcohol. The Velcro stuck so well and the grip between the Velcro was so god that I broke a plate when removing it from the van when we changed cars.

• I agree completely 2

3 hours ago, Lost in the wilderness said:

meths leaves a residue on the plastic  
The number plate strips from Halfords come with an alcohol wipe.  This cleans off all residues. 
3 or 4 vertical strips, and I found it almost impossible to remove when changing plate

:Plus1:I had to cut mine off with an old guitar string when we changed the last van.

Whipe the surface with a cloth damped with acetone, (nail polish remover) then stick the pads to it.

Works with all sticky pads.

When we picked up our 'van in 2013 the dealer used Gorilla double sided mounting tape.   https://www.amazon.co.uk/Gorilla-Tough-Clear-Mounting-Double-Sided/dp/B00OXVG9FW/ref=sr_1_8?crid=295B4U8Y6LL8Z&dchild=1&keywords=gorilla+double+sided+tape&qid=1590349283&sprefix=gorrilla%2Caps%2C163&sr=8-8

Changed the car in 2017 and couldn't get the old plate to budge, so used it again (3 vertical strips) to stick the new plate onto the old one. Both are still in place. ;)

• Like 1

When you finally succeed with decent number plate strips have a look on Amazon for cheese wire - it's the easiest way I could remove my plate when I changed cars.

I hate to promote anything from Halfords but must give them their due, the number plate tape is excellent and comes with the alcohol wipe so you don't need to worry about what to clean the van with. 

Never use a spirit based cleaner, meths, white spirit etc as they leave a residue, and never use acetate as it is a solvent for polycarbonate, in fact dissolving white lego bricks in acetate makes an excellent filler for damaged polycarbonate panels. 

Posted (edited)

Another vote for Halfords stickers, use 3 vertical ones but have managed with white spirit with making sure it is all wiped off after and dried using lint free tissues (not toilet paper). To remove the number plate later I have coped with string pulled behind the plate to cut through the stickers. Cheese wire and guitar strings would be better but I might lose fingers.

As PMW has said, acetone will dissolve ABS so could take the shine off the rear panel if used to clean it.

Edited by Paul1957

3 hours ago, CJ1149 said:

When you finally succeed with decent number plate strips have a look on Amazon for cheese wire - it's the easiest way I could remove my plate when I changed cars.

Dental floss also cuts through the double sided tape for removal of the number plates, it also works well on stick on car badges without doing any damage to the paintwork or badge; if you need to remove them for spraying or the like.

Thank you all for responding, some good ideas there.

It looks like the consensus is that Halfords tape works well, I'll give them a try.

If that fails I'll try the Gorilla tape.

Once properly cleaned, apply several double sided tape vertical strips to the caravan, then apply the same to the number plate in line with the first and press together.

I have found that the two opposing layers makes quite a difference.

I use heavy duty Velcro and have done on every van for years and have never had a problem

17 hours ago, Cliff&Jackie said:

Screw it on. I did after our dealer fitted one fell off!

Yes I agree - screws are the best adhesive for number plates on the back of caravans. My number plate has not moved since I changed the car three years ago.  

It was also easy to remove the old number plate .

Alan

If all else fails, try this. It’s uses are among others, to adhere the balance masses on wheels of vehicles.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01MDS43CB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_image_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1.

53 minutes ago, AlanNancy said:

Yes I agree - screws are the best adhesive for number plates on the back of caravans. My number plate has not moved since I changed the car three years ago.  

It was also easy to remove the old number plate .

Alan

The OP said he has a 2018 van. Screwing into the back panel himself would surely have implications with the warranty.

I certainly wouldn’t want to screw anything onto my van just in case.

• Like 1
  • I agree completely 3

The secret - that I don't think anyone has mentioned - is to clean the area on the van and the back of the plate with meths and polish it dry then use the large round Velcro self-adhesive pads. Warm the pad first and then warm the van surface to get both reasonably hot (even) before sticking them on.

I stick the hook part to the caravan, then warm the plate and the furry part, attached the furry part to the disc on the caravan, remove the backing paper, and push the plate onto it firmly., all quite quickly. Been doing it for 20+ years and never had one come off yet.

The secret is the warming.......

• Like 1
  • I disagree 1