Sign in to follow this  
2seaside

Holidays abroad??

Seems that the main questions now being asked by the media are when can we book holidays abroad? 

Also several comments here and elsewhere about the quarantine being aimed at preventing people from holidaying abroad (which, when you look at the list of exemptions, does seem to be true).

My take on all of this?

Yes, the Gov IS trying to stop everybody heading off en-masse for a holiday overseas.

(A). This is a new virus, and the scientific bodies still do not know how it will behave.

(B). The biggest fear is a big second wave of infections.

(C). If this happens, then many countries will go back into lockdown.

(D). The last lockdown included closed borders.

(E). Closed borders = a lot of people stranded away from their home countries.

(F). Which results in a lot of emergency flights to get them back.

(I hope that those complaining about not being able to fly/cruise to a holiday destination are not the same people announcing that they do not feel safe going back to work/sending their children back to school).

• I agree completely 1

Well, we had *hoped* (in a very optimistic way, I guess) that we would be able to go to France at the end of June whilst facing the reality that it likely wouldn't happen, but Spain have just said that they'll start to welcome foreign visitors from the start of July which scuppers us as our ferry was to Bilbao, and France have said a 2 week quarantine on arrival in the country as well, so that's pushed ours aside.

I suppose there's the faint possibility that the start of June will see domestic campsites re-opening, and that we'll be able to use those instead.  I did say faint possibility...

We had thought of moving our holiday abroad until next year, but the problem of getting Covid 19 insurance will probably mean we will not be able to go.  We were looking at booking in early March but saw the potential problem, we are glad now we held off.

We could always change our minds if things improve, but I do not see it.

Posted (edited)

For those that still have a job and are in work. Going abroad wont work. We go most years to France (2 weeks isolation), 2 weeks holiday, then return to the UK for a further 2 weeks isolation. 6 weeks in total, wont work for me

Edited by David P
  • Sad 3
  • I agree completely 1

Posted (edited)

It’s simple...

If a member of your intended family holiday is an overweight 60 + yr old male, with a tendency towards high blood pressure, diabetes and/or kidney problems, he is taking the biggest risk.

Roll the die if you wish.

Edited by ericfield

In my opinion you shouldn't be holidaying abroad anyway, this country needs the money kept here to support business not spent in some other country propping up their economy, if you must go abroad then I would suggest that you should pay a fine to re-enter the country to compensate for not supporting the UK economy.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • I disagree 4
  • I agree completely 1

I have a wife locked down in Spain hoping to return by car to the UK next month, hopefully. Then she will spend 14 days locked down in her (our) own house. I can't wait and am thankful she is not returning by plane and train. 

16 minutes ago, David P said:

For those that still have a job and are in work. Going abroad wont work. We go most years to France (2 weeks isolation), 2 weeks holiday, then return to the UK for a further 2 weeks isolation. 6 weeks in total, wont work for me

The 4 week isolation, if still retained in July/August, will prevent foreign holidays in France. 

Staycation will be the order of the day, which will put some revenue back into our own coffers but deny foreign visitors cash....not to mention gumming up all the UK caravan sites. ☹️ 

5 minutes ago, Barney1 said:

In my opinion you shouldn't be holidaying abroad anyway, this country needs the money kept here to support business not spent in some other country propping up their economy, if you must go abroad then I would suggest that you should pay a fine to re-enter the country to compensate for not supporting the UK economy.

Works two ways.

All the foreign visitors that bring in millions or dollars, yen and even euros each year won’t be coming here either.

• I agree completely 1

We were due to leave for France on Tuesday, obviously thats off, as is our trip to Spain in Sept/Oct, so for us 2020 is a total write off, we are taking no chances as we have been confined to barracks since 23 March, so roll on 2021

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Barney1 said:

I was in agreement with you until you suggested a fine . . .

Greece and islands I think open tomorrow they said they need our money.

Just now, David 38 said:

If the reason for opening up is financial - then I believe it is the wrong reason. If however it is a medical decision - then I wish them well. Personally I will not be venturing outside the UK for a while.

• Thanks 1
  • I agree completely 1

2 hours ago, ericfield said:

The 4 week isolation, if still retained in July/August, will prevent foreign holidays in France. 

Staycation will be the order of the day, which will put some revenue back into our own coffers but deny foreign visitors cash....not to mention gumming up all the UK caravan sites.

Works two ways.

All the foreign visitors that bring in millions or dollars, yen and even euros each year won’t be coming here either.

all the more reason to support UK business and stay here.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Gordon said:

If the reason for opening up is financial - then I believe it is the wrong reason. If however it is a medical decision - then I wish them well. Personally I will not be venturing outside the UK for a while.

Financial reasons are just as important, if we don't start coming out of  lockdown soon the country will be ruined

20 minutes ago, rutlandwarrior said:

Financial reasons are just as important, if we don't start coming out of  lockdown soon the country will be ruined

Risk and reward 

Just as well top yourself if you plan to go abroad soon, what have we all be saying = STAY SAFE

5 hours ago, Les Medes said:

We were due to leave for France on Tuesday, obviously thats off, as is our trip to Spain in Sept/Oct, so for us 2020 is a total write off, we are taking no chances as we have been confined to barracks since 23 March, so roll on 2021

A lot can happen between now and September! It is four months into the future so I wouldn’t be too keen to write a trip off just yet. 

We are due to go to France at the very end of August, I’m keeping my fingers crossed but not holding my breath!

Andy

We took ages planning a month long European tour starting mid June. Ferry to Zeebrugge then down through France, Italy, Slovenia returning Austria, Germany and back to Belgium. Ferries and all campsites booked.

Cancelled the lot because I just can't see it happening. No lost cost but only got credit vouchers from P&O - they argued the ferries are still running so we could go as planned if we wanted. Not too worried about that we'll no doubt use them next year.

5 hours ago, rutlandwarrior said:

Let us be honest, the country already has a steep hill to climb if we're to get back to the financial situation of only a few months ago, and we are all going to have to pay handsomely for it to happen.

To put it in stark contrast, the choice is for financial reward now and possible death later, or health now and possible financial reward later. Not an easy choice is it?

I agree that we cannot stay locked down for ever but as soon as it was suggested that we could start easing off from the lockdown, a proportion of society went mad. If we could ALL be trusted to take things slowly, then fine, it is safe to lift some restrictions BUT would you trust every single person in the country to stick to the rules, even if they disagree with them???

• Like 2
  • I agree completely 1

6 hours ago, David 38 said:

But there is the matter of getting there. Mrs JetA1 is primary carer for her mother who lives with us, for several years she's been able to look forward to two weeks in Greece with her best mate, it is her once a year respite break. This years trip was booked for the last to weeks in August, the girls were deposit paid and due to pay the final balance just a couple of days ago. 

It appeared that the only way to keep the protections in place was to make the full and final payment and hope that in the likely event the holiday didn't take place that refunds would be forthcoming. After having a great deal of difficulty in contacting the tour operator (TUI) she finally got through and they've reallocated the deposit for the same holiday in 2021, with the final balance being paid this time next year. It doesn't fix the upset of missing this years holiday but it has given financial certainty to the situation with no losses incurred. 

11 hours ago, jetA1 said:

After having a great deal of difficulty in contacting the tour operator (TUI) she finally got through and they've reallocated the deposit for the same holiday in 2021, with the final balance being paid this time next year. It doesn't fix the upset of missing this years holiday but it has given financial certainty to the situation with no losses incurred. 

I just hope for their sake that TUI are still trading this time next year or the voucher will likely as not be worthless.

39 minutes ago, KnausCol said:

We took ages planning a month long European tour starting mid June. Ferry to Zeebrugge then down through France, Italy, Slovenia returning Austria, Germany and back to Belgium. Ferries and all campsites booked.

Cancelled the lot because I just can't see it happening. No lost cost but only got credit vouchers from P&O - they argued the ferries are still running so we could go as planned if we wanted. Not too worried about that we'll no doubt use them next year.

How interesting  Same route to us but the other way round.  We were leaving mid May. 

Pleased that the cc Club refunded the complete Ferry cost although we have asked a couple of sites to keep our reservation for next year which is fine!

Fingers crossed! 

Well I think this virus has pretty well stopped our travel over the oggin. We had already decided that this year was probably to be our last year going anyway. Lizzies health is slowly gearing worse. So we will just travel in this country.

Should have gone at the beginning of June. CMC have sorted all our travels out, and have refunded everything.

It amazes me with all the discussions in the papers/news programmes etc about "when can we book our holiday abroad" they spend a lot of time talking about which transport services are operating/planning to operate, which countries have opened their borders/planning to open their borders, they remind people to calculate the quarantine period - but they make no mention of the fact that the FCO advice has not changed and therefore travel insurance is almost certainly invalid.

Does everybody travel without insurance, or what?

Me - I'm staying in England for the rest of the year.  At least if anything happens I'll be able to get home again.

• Like 1
  • I agree completely 2

11 hours ago, Gordon said:

I just hope for their sake that TUI are still trading this time next year or the voucher will likely as not be worthless.

Exactly my thoughts, these vouchers are going to be worthless as the companies will push prices through the roof making it too expensive to go next year anyhow,