Sign in to follow this  
Si76

Swift 580 Height

Hello all

We have just joined the Caravan Talk forum and would like some information if possible. 

We are considering purchasing a 580 Challenger around 2016 to 2019.

My question is does anyone know what the total height is WITHOUT the tv aerial on the roof ?

The reason being we have a car porch for storage with a max clearance of 8ft 4 inch  (254cm).

I know it could be a very tight fit but thinking I could remove the aerial to get it in the car port. 

Any advice would be appreciated. 

Thanks 

Ask mr google he might have the answer 

Posted (edited)

According to Google 8’ 7” with aerial. However, be aware that the roof lights are proud of the roof and add to the height. I think you’ll be at about 8’ 4” over these. Removing the aerial isn’t straightforward as it’s cable runs internally.

We had a 2016 Swift Challenger 580 before our current caravan and it was great apart from the bathroom sink. It is so small that even cleaning your teeth without dribbling down the front of the cabinet is a challenge!

50F048B1-4707-4674-8BB5-DDC790EB6E87.jpeg

Edited by GaryB1969

2018 Volvo V90 and 2018 Swift Sprite Quattro EB

Posted (edited)

Can’t help with the 580 height but I had a height problem....putting caravan inside a large timber building, with low roof trusses....and I simply cut away a small section of the roof tie to just allow the aerial to pass underneath.

I then reinforced the remaining part of the tie with a steel band. Also bear in mind, you may not need to modify every roof truss as the aerial (in my van) is halfway down the roof. I only modified the first truss nearest the entry, the aerial never reached the next truss. 

I mention this, in case it would be an option for your situation, to save replacing/removing the aerial every trip.

I am now considering a motorhome which will need the complete removal of the wooden ties due to the greater height of a motorhome. I  will replace the deeper wood ties with narrow steel rod cross ties.....

0F94160B-76FC-4FC8-AEC7-9FC56BBD8E8E.jpeg

Edited by ericfield

I am not sure that this is published anywhere, but I doubt it would fit as the aerial does not project far above the roof lights. You may also have to look at any slope or ramp at the entrance as that could also adversely affect the position.

Possibly only Swift can tell you and they may help once they reopen.

The current Status aerial model https://www.visionplus.co.uk/shop/status-570.html suggests the total installed height above the roof would be 108mm + 35mm (antenna and roofmount/gaiter).  So you can save up to 108mm. (4 inches)

My copy of a 530 install manual says the overall height is 150mm and with dome removed 50mm. 

Again 100mm or 4 inches difference.

For the 550 the manual quotes 125mm for the dome height (and 35mm on the mount).  

So the saving may depend on exact model of aerial fitted to the caravan you choose.

But the other projections above the roof may not save as much as the above figures might suggest.  

The antenna can be removed by pulling the whole pole assembly through the gaiter but the sealing washers / o-rings might not like it.

You might save height by letting the tyres down on the way in/out and re-inflating?

Or look into increasing the clearance in other ways (lower the ground  level or raise the canopy).

2012 Bailey Pegasus 2 Rimini towed by 2019 Ford Galaxy Titanium X, 2.0 EcoBlue, 8 speed auto.

As said above, the height of the roof lights is similar to a retracted aerial so it’s not easy. Also unless the caravan is absolutely level the front or back could be higher. 

I'm just looking at our 2016 Swift Challenger from an upstairs window which is 3ft away from the caravan. The plastic roof lights are exactly the same height as the TV antenna.

Ern

To be frank; I doubt that any modern caravan will be under that 6 ft 4 in height limit.

My Bailey P2 has a 550 with a Heki 2 adjacent on a flat roof.  Heki is 105 mm above roof at its peak.  The Status 160 mm.  So I could save 55 mm a tad over 2 inches on that. My caravan is nominally 2.63 metres (8ft 8in).  But the Midi Heki in the bedroom is 116 mm +/- 10 mm...  so then only a 34 mm 'saving' (worst case).  The mini Heki in my kitchen is quoted at 105mm like the Heki 2.

Swift are very clear that their published height is a 'nominal' figure and will vary with loading, suspension ride height, tyre pressure and even build tolerances;  stating that the buyer must take accurate measurements themselves if (any) dimension is crucial to them.

2012 Bailey Pegasus 2 Rimini towed by 2019 Ford Galaxy Titanium X, 2.0 EcoBlue, 8 speed auto.

If it is just the entrance have you considered letting the tyres down and then pumping them back up after they are inside the car port?

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

1 hour ago, Rodders53 said:

To be frank; I doubt that any modern caravan will be under that 6 ft 4 in height limit.

It’s 8’ 4”, but I think they’re going to struggle even at that. 

Posted (edited)

A pair of old 13" wheels (or smaller) with used low profile tyres might just give vital inches if it's really close. I know it's a faff changing wheels before/after each outing, but so is modifying the building or having to resort to storage.

Edited by limecc

"Remove the aerial" may not be a simple option if it is a status or similar aerial as there is a real risk of damaging the seal with frequent pulling through of the tilt mechanism.

If the aerial is at the front or rear, maybe raising or lowering on jockey wheel will give you the 100mm you need

1 hour ago, Stevan said:

"Remove the aerial" may not be a simple option if it is a status or similar aerial as there is a real risk of damaging the seal with frequent pulling through of the tilt mechanism.

https://www.visionplus.co.uk/shop/status-500-spares/ they sell spares if it gets damaged or wears through use.

The aerial is in fact designed for removal (and a temporary blanking cap supplied).

Whether removal allows the OP to fit the caravan in or not we'll never know as it's a "one post and run"  job (albeit they last visited CT on 5th June).