Jump to content
meadowsweet

Broad Lane Leisure - Alcester, Warwickshire closing

Recommended Posts

Not sure why this is "exciting news" but Broad Lane Leisure, Alcester are closing, assuming planning permission is obtained.

 

Broad Lane Leisure (Alcester) - Aldi Statement


Next year is a landmark anniversary for Broad Lane as we celebrate 50 years as a family business. The past thirty of which, we have been retailing out of our Alcester showroom.


Another landmark moment, is that our Kings Coughton site, may well be changing its use! There has been speculation so we are writing to provide an insight into exactly what ‘is’ going on.


Four years ago, Aldi asked us to sell our land at Alcester. For us a family, we gave it great consideration, yet, we decided the time was not quite right. Twelve months ago, we signed an Option Agreement allowing them to apply for planning permission to build a new store on our site. Subject to approval, they would then have the option to buy. As you will understand legal agreement meant we could not discuss the details, so we have remained silent.


Aldi's plans to develop the site is now in the public domain. https://aldiconsultation.co.uk/alcester/ If they succeed with planning permission and go-ahead with the purchase, we will continue to operate from where we are for a period of at least six months, well into 2021, before relocating, which is likely to be twelve months plus, from now.


Whilst the land is being sold, the family business is not, and Broad Lane Leisure will continue.


Our industry has been changing for some time and opportunities are being created. Our job right now, is to pursue the very best and exciting elements of what we do, and to do them even better! With the right people and products, along with a great level of service and aftercare, the future is very bright for the staycation-based holidays. We are yet to understand the impact of Covid-19, although we are keen to make the very most of the industry that we are a respected part of.


As we await the outcome of the planning application, we will review the timings of our next steps. Meanwhile, we will continue to plan where and how we move the Alcester operation. We will continue to operate in the area although we will be unable to commit until Aldi exercises its option to go ahead.


We remain extremely positive and welcome the future with optimism, enthusiasm and excitement. Be assured we value our team and the opportunities that they bring to the success of our future, and we are all ready to embrace the ‘new’ norm!


Due to the lockdown we are unable to engage directly to answer every question, however, we will endeavour to do so as and when restrictions and time permits. Emails may be directed to Broad Lane at AldiAlcester@broadlane.co.uk


To view Aldi’s virtual exhibition https://aldiconsultation.co.uk/alcester/virtual-exhibition/


Stay safe and we look forward to seeing you soon.


Darren and Steve Brown
Joint Managing Directors.

 

I imagine they will remain open for a few more months, although not currently open at the moment.  They have another branch in Kenilworth so I imagine they will carry out services on new caravans there.  

 

Another large caravan dealer in Salisbury, Webbs caravans stopped selling new caravans a couple of years ago.

 

What future does the caravan industry have?

 

 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, meadowsweet said:

 

 

I imagine they will remain open for a few more months, although not currently open at the moment.  They have another branch in Kenilworth so I imagine they will carry out services on new caravans there.  

 

Another large caravan dealer in Salisbury, Webbs caravans stopped selling new caravans a couple of years ago.

 

What future does the caravan industry have?

 

 

 

 

As I read it their intention is not to close their Alcester business, merely to relocate it.

Major supermarkets pay top price for prime sites and slightly less prestige sites are likely to be going for a song for the next year or so, in which case they could well be in for nice little cash injection.

  • I agree completely 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, meadowsweet said:

 What future does the caravan industry have?

 

 

 

 

I think it will be a rapidly diminishing industry. The opingtunities for touring seem to be disappearing - touring pitches being changed to statics of one type or another in many places here and abroad. As sites go this way, the touring pitches will become less viable.

Sites with statics dont need expensive toilet/shower blocks etc. The ecologists have gained adequate influence and governments are tackling the emission problem by banning vehicles with IC engines. Industry will not invest in a diminishing market and so the decine will accelerate. The industry seems to have one remaining sector with a future and that is small campervans - panel vans converted - can park anywhwere and move quickly. Feasable as second cars. On the continent called Camping Cars. The light commercial van industry will survive even when IC engines are driven into extinction, so the base vehicle will be available. The touring caravan and motorhome as we know them are destined for the bin. 

Edited by Ern
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well done Broad Lane for making a press release, now no one will worry that they are going broke.

In the distant past, I've bought caravans from Broad Lane at Kenilworth and in the last few years used the Alcester shop for bits and pieces.

I've always had good service.

  • I agree completely 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As I understood it at the time, the Kenilworth operation separated from Alcester branch and Coventry branch as the Brown family business seemed to have a mixture of sons/brothers/cousins of the original founders who have subsequently traded semi independently. To my knowledge the Kenilworth operation have retained a number of loyal staff. I am also guessing that the remaining  Browns could well be looking to their retirements'

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, bubble2015 said:

Well done Broad Lane for making a press release, now no one will worry that they are going broke.

In the distant past, I've bought caravans from Broad Lane at Kenilworth and in the last few years used the Alcester shop for bits and pieces.

I've always had good service.

 

When in the area we have used the Alcester store, like you for bits and bobs, a lovely store and very helpful people

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did hear they were buying a purpose built site on the industrial estate literally round the corner from their current site. Don’t know how true that is tho. Would

make sense tho. Good location , good customer base and very accessible. 
 

personally I hope the don’t move as they are my local accessory shop! I’m just down the road 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Stevan said:

As I read it their intention is not to close their Alcester business, merely to relocate it.

Major supermarkets pay top price for prime sites and slightly less prestige sites are likely to be going for a song for the next year or so, in which case they could well be in for nice little cash injection.

I think the big issue will be getting planning permission because at the moment the road is not suitable for large numbers of traffic turning into the site.  At present prior to lockdown, it could take ages to get onto and also leave the current site.  Hope it is resolved without issues as Broad Lane a re nice to deal with.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Durbanite said:

I think the big issue will be getting planning permission because at the moment the road is not suitable for large numbers of traffic turning into the site.  At present prior to lockdown, it could take ages to get onto and also leave the current site.  Hope it is resolved without issues as Broad Lane a re nice to deal with.

When  a major supermarket chain decides on a new large development they often pick up the traffic management costs (New traffic lights, roundabouts etc.) and heavily contribute to relocation of existing occupiers. Here, near home, Asda built  whole new community centre and a youth centre, just so they could develop the site that the old, somewhat dilapidated, ones were on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Stevan said:

When  a major supermarket chain decides on a new large development they often pick up the traffic management costs (New traffic lights, roundabouts etc.) and heavily contribute to relocation of existing occupiers. Here, near home, Asda built  whole new community centre and a youth centre, just so they could develop the site that the old, somewhat dilapidated, ones were on.

They would have to widen the road considerably and this could involve changing the round about just prior to the store.  Immediately opposite you have a factory and then lower down houses.  It is not going to be a cheap option to widen the road in that area and keep pavements in place.  Check it out with Earth Google.  There will probably be a large objection from locals to the site.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Durbanite said:

They would have to widen the road considerably and this could involve changing the round about just prior to the store.  Immediately opposite you have a factory and then lower down houses.  It is not going to be a cheap option to widen the road in that area and keep pavements in place.  Check it out with Earth Google.  There will probably be a large objection from locals to the site.

 

Big developments often include new dual carriageway, roundabouts and sometimes motorway junctions, all at the developer's expense - it's a way that local authorities and Highways England get round budget restrictions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Durbanite said:

They would have to widen the road considerably and this could involve changing the round about just prior to the store.  Immediately opposite you have a factory and then lower down houses.  It is not going to be a cheap option to widen the road in that area and keep pavements in place.  Check it out with Earth Google.  There will probably be a large objection from locals to the site.

You might be surprised at how big a budget a major chain can throw at a project like this.

Getting through the planning approvals process is why everything at this stage will be just proposals and conditional agreements under a cloak of confidentiality.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If I was Broadlane, I'd take the money and consolidate the business. We're entering a world-wide depression and a society where human interaction is banned. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If I read the information correctly the idea is to relocate. Presumably the Aldi money would be enough to cover that and more, supermarkets are prepared to throw silly money at sites they want.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Aldi already have a store in Studley and another on the cards for Evesham (may even be open by now) so a lot will depend on the planners view, whether they decide that Aldi already have enough presence in the area, or whether they welcome the extra choice and job creation for Alcester,hope Broad Lane re invest in a new purpose built unit, we bought our current van from them and were very plesaed with the service, not the cheapest but worth it.This is our 8th caravan and our 6th dealer and we think they are one of the better dealers overall

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Woodsieboy said:

 

. . . . . a lot will depend on the planners view, whether they decide that Aldi already have enough presence in the area . . . 

 

 

There are six in Derby and Lidl isn't far behind . . . . 

.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I do hope they relocate somewhere nearby, as though not local to us we often make a day out of visiting their shop, then onto Hiller's Garden Center and Farm Shop where the kids can ride the miniature railway (and dad too of course) then pop into see the MIL in Birmingham. 

 

It's amazing the number of items they sell that I never knew I needed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Aldi in Studley is badly sighted, causes gridlock in the village, cars turning into the store causes back up to the near roundabout, the A435 is a very busy road with lots of HGVs so the opportunities to turn are limit.

The same could be said for the Broad Lane site being on the same road and close to a roundabout, we will see.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...