Tyre change due

Durbanite

When I checked the tyres on our vehicle in March the rear ones looked like they would need replacing later in the year.  However this was based on our normal mileage and also that we were towing.  It now seems that due to low mileage the tyres will last us until next year.  I normally change the tyres when they are down to about 3mm and don't wait until they are down to 1.6mm.

The rear tyres which are Royal were fitted brand new in Oct 2018 by the dealer, but were a budget brand.  The front tyres are Continental and were fitted less than 1000 miles later.  They still look like new with hardly any wear.  Goes to show that fitting budget tyres can be false economy!

I once made the mistake of fitting budget tyres and only got 5000 miles out of them before the tread wore down to the wires. Our tow car could do with new tyres but its only done 10 miles since the lockdown started and that is only 2 runs to use the air conditioning. Probably little chance of towing this year so I can put off replacing them until next year. Our other car has not done much more since the supermarket is less than a mile away so maybe 2 miles a week.

2 hours ago, Durbanite said:

When I checked the tyres on our vehicle in March the rear ones looked like they would need replacing later in the year.  However this was based on our normal mileage and also that we were towing.  It now seems that due to low mileage the tyres will last us until next year.  I normally change the tyres when they are down to about 3mm and don't wait until they are down to 1.6mm.

The rear tyres which are Royal were fitted brand new in Oct 2018 by the dealer, but were a budget brand.  The front tyres are Continental and were fitted less than 1000 miles later.  They still look like new with hardly any wear.  Goes to show that fitting budget tyres can be false economy!

Good to hear someone else who replaces tyres at 3mm, rather than the 1.6mm legal limit - as tyres wear down their water-dispersant properties diminish rapidly and aquaplane far too easily at 1.6mm. There's considerable support to increase the legal limit to 3mm but this needs global agreement so isn't going to happen quickly.

1 hour ago, Black Grouse said:

There's considerable support to increase the legal limit to 3mm but this needs global agreement so isn't going to happen quickly.

Even European countries don't agree!   Germany requires 3mm minimum.   The French require 1.6 in any groove measured at four points on the tread whilst we have 1.6mm around the central 75% of the tread.   If you have 'winter' tyres fitted, once they are below 4mm, they are no longer regarded as winter tyres.

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

2 hours ago, Jaydug said:

Even European countries don't agree!   Germany requires 3mm minimum.   The French require 1.6 in any groove measured at four points on the tread whilst we have 1.6mm around the central 75% of the tread.   If you have 'winter' tyres fitted, once they are below 4mm, they are no longer regarded as winter tyres.

4mm is a German/Alpine thing for winter tyres - but then few other European countries have a winter tyre requirement.

My winter tyres will be allowed to wear down from 4mm to 3mm during the summer to get a bit more value out of them.

My previous company wouldn’t change company car tyres until below 2mm. They were lethal.

2018 Volvo V90 and 2018 Swift Sprite Quattro EB

3 minutes ago, GaryB1969 said:

My previous company wouldn’t change company car tyres until below 2mm. They were lethal.

If they really were "lethal" how come you are still alive to tell us about it?:blink:

2 minutes ago, daveat92 said:

If they really were "lethal" how come you are still alive to tell us about it?:blink:

I’m not. This is a recording.

1 hour ago, Black Grouse said:

4mm is a German/Alpine thing for winter tyres - but then few other European countries have a winter tyre requirement.

My winter tyres will be allowed to wear down from 4mm to 3mm during the summer to get a bit more value out of them.

Switzerland have very strict rules on winter tyres - to the extent that most people have a second set of wheels fitted with winter tyres so that if they wake up and find unexpected snow it is a much quicker job to swap the wheels.

I’d sooner drive at 1.6mm on premium tyres than 7mm on budget tyres.

They are called ditchfinders for a reason.

13 minutes ago, Bodster said:

I’d sooner drive at 1.6mm on premium tyres than 7mm on budget tyres.

They are called ditchfinders for a reason.

Many premium brands are made in China too!

A RWD BMW with runflats at 2mm was a real handful (lethal for the less pedantic :D ) in the snow. And the wet, frost etc etc. Now I buy my own cars I can change them when needed not when a bean counter tells me I can!