B3nnl

What are people doing with their leisure batteries during lockdown?

Our is at home and so I'm keeping the charger on more or less all the time, also using the fridge on and off for beer chilling.  Defrosting monthly and letting the charger rest at the same time, then putting smart charger on to give a 14.2v boost.  The battery is only a year old so I'm hoping it will be fine. 

Mine is a Varta dual purpose so ive just been switching mine around with the one on the car every fortnight as they take the same size battery, im currently doing around 100 miles a week as my step daughter works four evenings a week so needs a lift each way, obviously its not mega distance but it seems more than sufficient thus far.

Our solar panel keeps the battery well topped up!

Take mine out every year when we park the van up for winter. Then it gets 24 hours on an Optimate charger once a month. I’ve just carried on the routine for a bit longer this year. 

• Like 1

For the last 9 years my caravan goes into storage around end Oct or beginning of Nov then doesn’t come “home” until March.

Its a very short trip to my home and every year when I collect the van there’s been sufficient power to place the caravan on my driveway using the motor mover, about the only time I have to use it.

This year with the lock down extending the storage season I decided only last week to go to my storage facility, remove the battery and bring it home to top up the charge.  I measured the voltage before connecting it up and it was 12.7 volts, so not bad for a 10 year old battery left standing since Nov last year.

• Like 1

That is fantastic; what make? Luck, quality or care?

10 hours ago, The Coachman said:

For the last 9 years my caravan goes into storage around end Oct or beginning of Nov then doesn’t come “home” until March.

Its a very short trip to my home and every year when I collect the van there’s been sufficient power to place the caravan on my driveway using the motor mover, about the only time I have to use it.

This year with the lock down extending the storage season I decided only last week to go to my storage facility, remove the battery and bring it home to top up the charge.  I measured the voltage before connecting it up and it was 12.7 volts, so not bad for a 10 year old battery left standing since Nov last year.

October to May , I take it you don't have an alarm or a tracker . That is still amazing,  we had our last battery for 10 years, but we would bring it home to charge it up every 6 to 8 weeks as it would drop to 12.5v . , we did have an alarm and TBH we didn't use it much as we use all service sites.  When we bought a new one  the difference was very noticeable as the battery held it's charge a lot better.