spare wheel

robertB

My sons 2006 TA is stuck on our drive for the duration and today I have wrestled the spare wheel from the carriage underneath.

The tyre manufacturers date is 2004 and the wheel has never been off or used  so basically I have a "brand new" 16 year old tyre still with the rubber pips and a damaged valve stem (road damage I assume)

I will have to replace tyre because of age but don't it just rankle when it is mint

There is no hard and fast rule that tyres have to be changed after a set period. The  main cause of deterioration in a tyre is exposure to UV light, hidden away underneath it will have had very little exposure to light and could still be good.

Although this tyre is perhaps pushing the limits, I would be prepared to use it as a spare if it is still free from cracks and bulges. Good enough to finish your journey and replace as soon as convenient,

I agree, if its not got cracks or bulges, then the worst that will happen when used as a spare is that it will be way out of balance. They tend to go asymmetric as they age. But it will be fine as an emergency use only spare.

.......if it has been sat in an alko carrier  jiggling around for 14 years then there will be grooves in the tyre walls caused by rubbing against the carrier's bars.

These grooves can weaken the tyre walls.

Don’t use it , tyres have an age limit for a reason , I took my 7 year old unused spare off & you could flake the rubber off with your thumbnail  , like the old rubbers we used to have at school . For the cost of a new tyre , £40 to £50 why risk it . I now keep my spare under the bed. I wrestled mine from underneath  like you & thought there is no way I want to do that at the side of the road , I bought a cover for it & it stops me putting ‘ stuff ‘ under there that I need but never use .

On the subject of tyres any one know at what age a car space saver should be replaced? 

I've not checked the date on mine and I don't think the date is part of an MoT.

29 minutes ago, WilliamJames said:

.......if it has been sat in an alko carrier  jiggling around for 14 years then there will be grooves in the tyre walls caused by rubbing against the carrier's bars.

These grooves can weaken the tyre walls.

20 minutes ago, stevew1 said:

Don’t use it , tyres have an age limit for a reason , I took my 7 year old unused spare off & you could flake the rubber off with your thumbnail  , like the old rubbers we used to have at school . 

Without a doubt, if it fails a visual inspection for any reason it's only journey should be for disposal!

There are no scuffs, grazes, cracking or bulges of any kind at all and it has been bolted solidly to the alko carrier. It even has the coloured bands still on it,  but at 16 years old the rubber will have degraded and being as the tyre will have to come off to have a new valve fitted I think a new tyre is in order.  Don't think it's worth the risk.

Shame though 

13 hours ago, Ched said:

On the subject of tyres any one know at what age a car space saver should be replaced? 

I've not checked the date on mine and I don't think the date is part of an MoT.

https://www.theaa.com/driving-advice/safety/non-standard-spare-wheels

1 hour ago, joanie said:

I wonder if the advice goes out the window with some cars?  Our car has 20" tyres all round, but the spare tyre is 18"and a proper car tyre however in every other aspect it is identical to the main tyres.  Is it a space saver and restricting us to 50mph or not?

2 minutes ago, Durbanite said:

I wonder if the advice goes out the window with some cars?  Our car has 20" tyres all round, but the spare tyre is 18"and a proper car tyre however in every other aspect it is identical to the main tyres.  Is it a space saver and restricting us to 50mph or not?

I think space savers have the max 50 mph warning on the side!!!

14 minutes ago, Ched said:

I think space savers have the max 50 mph warning on the side!!!

Okay thanks as we do not have any warning sticker on the wheel unless it is on the side I cannot see.  Wheel is too darn heavy for me to lift out to check.  It is now about 8 years old and still in perfect condition as never been used.

15 minutes ago, Durbanite said:

If the spare is a steel wheel these sometimes have a different size to the alloys such as not as low a profile. The overall diameter ought to be the same though. Space savers are usually quite thin and they are so obviously different to a normal tyre they stand out. The tyre should have a speed rating on it and if not a space saver it should be the same as your other tyres.

18 minutes ago, Durbanite said:

It should be treated as an emergency space saver - otherwise it's illegal to use as there's a requirement that tyre sizes aren't mixed on the same axle.

5 minutes ago, Paul1957 said:

If the spare is a steel wheel these sometimes have a different size to the alloys such as not as low a profile. The overall diameter ought to be the same though. Space savers are usually quite thin and they are so obviously different to a normal tyre they stand out. The tyre should have a speed rating on it and if not a space saver it should be the same as your other tyres.

Just checked to refresh memory and it is a steel wheel.  Only difference is the width as everything else is the same size i.e aspect ratio, rim diameter, load and speed rating.

Its quite common to have a steel spare with a smaller wheel diameter and a tyre with a taller aspect ratio. Our Volvo V70 was like that. However your car sounds unusual as you have described a steel spare with a tyre of the same diameter and narrower, as this tyre must have a lower load rating. It may not be legal. Space saver spares have the full load rating and are only down graded on speed and distance. I would check it further if I were you. As a matter of interest, would the full size tyre fit in the storage place? Many cars have a spare wheel well which will not accept a full size spare (like our Tiguan). I have tweaked the storage space on ours so that we have a full size 19x235 spare in the boot, but a slightly narrower 19 x 225 spare would have gone in ok without the tweak. I wanted a spare which could be fitted and left on the car.

Edited by Ern

Any spare wheel, supplied by the manufacturer, with different dimensions to the main wheels will be clearly and indelibly marked  with do not exceed 50mph (or 80kph)

2 hours ago, Durbanite said:

Just checked to refresh memory and it is a steel wheel.  Only difference is the width as everything else is the same size i.e aspect ratio, rim diameter, load and speed rating.

If there is the single difference of width, then it's illegal to use except as a speed limited space saver - it would be important to keep to the 50mph / 50 miles limit to minimise damage to any differentials as the rolling radius will be different to the other tyres.

5 minutes ago, beejay said:

Any spare wheel, supplied by the manufacturer, with different dimensions to the main wheels will be clearly and indelibly marked  with do not exceed 50mph (or 80kph)

"should be" - I have known cars with an unmarked standard size spare where an optional size has been fitted to the four road wheels.

Edited by Black Grouse

2 hours ago, Durbanite said:

Okay thanks as we do not have any warning sticker on the wheel unless it is on the side I cannot see.  Wheel is too darn heavy for me to lift out to check.  It is now about 8 years old and still in perfect condition as never been used.

You've never had the spare wheel out in 8 years?  If it's valve is on the underside how do you check the pressure?

Any warning will be on the outer side and as most spare wheels are mounted "face down" to provide storage for the jack and tools.

3 minutes ago, Black Grouse said:

If there is the single difference of width, then it's illegal to use except as a speed limited space saver - it would be important to keep to the 50mph / 50 miles limit to minimise damage to any differentials as the rolling radius will be different to the other tyres.

"should be" - I have known cars with an unmarked standard size spare where an optional size has been fitted to the four road wheels.

Factory fitted optional wheels will usually have the same overall diameter for all the sizes offered. Nonetheless, any spare not identical to the running wheels should be marked with the 50mph restriction.

Just a thought, somewhere in the cobweb strewn corners of my memory, did it say at one time on the thin space savers that they should only be fitted on the rear so a back wheel had to be transferred to the front for the sake of the steering and if so is the idea now defunct ?

BTW new tyre now fitted to caravan spare

The most likely reason for the narrow tyre is that the previouse owner has added it. As I said earlier this may be the widest size which would go in the wheel storage space.

18 hours ago, beejay said:

You've never had the spare wheel out in 8 years?  If it's valve is on the underside how do you check the pressure?

I have only owned the vehicle since Oct 2018.  The tyre is fitted with a tyre pressure sensor so we would be alerted if the pressure fell below the required pressure.

The spare tyre is fitted standard on the same lower specification vehicle however I take your point.  I cannot see any warning sticker on it although there may be one on the other side that I cannot see.

3 hours ago, Durbanite said:

The tyre is fitted with a tyre pressure sensor so we would be alerted if the pressure fell below the required pressure.

You might want to check that spare tyre as most tyre pressure monitoring systems only come on when the wheel is rotating.

On 22/05/2020 at 15:21, robertB said:

Just a thought, somewhere in the cobweb strewn corners of my memory, did it say at one time on the thin space savers that they should only be fitted on the rear so a back wheel had to be transferred to the front for the sake of the steering and if so is the idea now defunct ?

BTW new tyre now fitted to caravan spare

There was a recommendation that spacesavers should not be fitted to the drive wheels regardless of that being front or rear, but I don’t think that applies any more. 

3 hours ago, DACS said:

You might want to check that spare tyre as most tyre pressure monitoring systems only come on when the wheel is rotating.

Certainly the  case with my Tyrepal aftermarket TPMS (it conserves the transmitters batteries!) 

Andy

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

2 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

There was a recommendation that spacesavers should not be fitted to the drive wheels regardless of that being front or rear, but I don’t think that applies any more. 

Don't think it can apply as the space saver in my 4wd can be fitted to any wheel.

Life is not a rehearsal . . .:)

Porsche Cayenne S Diesel & Knaus StarClass 695. Previously Audi S4 Avant & Elddis Super Sirocco