Bristle Hound

What Caravan Equipment Have You Bought/Ordered Today?

Me today?

A new replacement Alko jockey wheel
The current one on our Compass, altho an Alko one, its s***e. Solid ***** plastic wheel

So ordered this one -
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ALKO-Joc...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

https://ukshop.alko-tech.com/uk/plus-jockey-wheel-steel-rubber1.html

So come on people of CT what have you been buying for your 'van?

• Like 1

Today nothing. Last thing bought about was about 5 months ago, some replacement battery box hinges, which I have yet to fit. Next purchase will be a gas cylinder refill, but no idea when.

John

• Thanks 1

Before the lockdown - a pair of Milenco Grand Aero Mirrors as my old offside mirror of unknown manufacture was hit by an HGV on an A road when travelling back from Yorkshire last Autumn. He was over the white line on a bend and it's a wonder he didn't get the van as well !!

Mike

Nothing yet. We want some new chairs for the awning but I want to try them out for comfort first. Some new (longer) rock pegs for the awning are on the list as well.

I want a decent table for the awning/outside - any ideas?

11 minutes ago, junglejim said:

Well they are on sale almost everywhere that is open or on line

Supermarkets season goods, DIY shops etc. etc. spoilt for choice and prices I would think.

Loo chemical. I’ve been using my van as a dormitory the last few weeks to avoid unnecessary travelling. I ran out of chemical about a fortnight ago so tried using washing pods. After having to thoroughly clean and sanitise the cassette last weekend I’ve gone back to the proper chemicals. 

Loo chemical. I’ve been using my van as a dormitory the last few weeks to avoid unnecessary travelling. I ran out of chemical about a fortnight ago so tried using washing pods. After having to thoroughly clean and sanitise the cassette last weekend I’ve gone back to the proper chemicals. 

11 minutes ago, David 38 said:

Well they are on sale almost everywhere that is open or on line

Supermarkets season goods, DIY shops etc. etc. spoilt for choice and prices I would think.

That is the problem too much choice! After something a decent height that you can sit at comfortably. Any recommendations for something that will last a while not just one season.

We use the table out of the Pegasus Rimini in our awning otherwise it never gets used  ?

We expected to pick up a bargain deal on a roll out canopy, thinking that retailers must be desperate by now for cash by now. No luck at all! No one is doing deals on Fiamma or Thule/Omnistor. We probably will not even use it this year as the France holiday is cancelled but thought we would get a deal as an investment for next year. We had a reasonable deal on a new Cadac for the garden a few weeks back and were very pleased with that.

20200411_130455.jpg

• Thanks 1

Today I bought a Kampa Gale inflatable awning pump.

Had enough of manual pumping, fancied trying to do it the easy way.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Hort2074 said:

I had to make up an extension cable so that I could get the pump near enough to the awning. This is on our favourite site with hedges on either side of the pitch, couldn't easily get the car close enough. Now works a treat, at least it did before the closures!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JohnPat said:

I had to make up an extension cable so that I could get the pump near enough to the awning. This is on our favourite site with hedges on either side of the pitch, couldn't easily get the car close enough. Now works a treat, at least it did before the closures!

Cheers John, good to hear.

We normally go to the same place every time, which will be fine for access to the car 12V, but I will throw a 5m 12V extension lead in the car just incase!!!

2 hours ago, GaryB1969 said:

Nothing yet. We want some new chairs for the awning but I want to try them out for comfort first. Some new (longer) rock pegs for the awning are on the list as well.

It's funny , but years ago we just bought a coupe of chairs for the van. Now  we have to try them out to make sure the seat is high enough and also the back rest has to be high, the width of the seat has to be wide enough to get in and out easily. The chairs have to be light, aluminium , but not flimsy and to be able to take more than 9 stone :D:ph34r:, it's a real science buying chairs.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, junglejim said:

What size table do you require?

Aluminium preferably?

Charlieboy, something big enough for 4  aluminium yes and a smooth top for cleaning preferably.  Not a slatted top as thats what we've got at the mo and a pain to wipe off.

1 hour ago, Hort2074 said:

Brilliant bits of kit!  I installed a 12 volt socket just inside the entrance door to make it easier to use.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, junglejim said:

We have a "double roll up aluminium table".  Its brilliant!

I've had a quick Google and cant find one - some are discontinued.

I'll be back at the caravan in a couple of days and try to find some more info.

Not a recent purchase but a few weeks ago, I got a replacement gas locker door for my Hobby, which aren't the best design in the world, especially the permutations of the hinge they have tried over the years, which has caused problems, the latest version being the best.

So, whilst I would have been straight down to the van to fit it, I've spent a bit of time changing the hinge to the latest version and due to noting the stress points on mine and friends doors I've been reinforcing these areas.

One of the problems is that they are 5ft 9ins x 2ft 1ins and supported by one central gas ram which makes them a bit wobbly and twisty, especially in the wind, so when I eventually get back down I'll sit and ponder changing to two gas rams, with a pencil behind my ear, a note book and measure on my lap and a glass of thinking potion, red wine, in my right hand, 😉

5 minutes ago, Silversurf said:

Not a recent purchase but a few weeks ago, I got a replacement gas locker door for my Hobby, which aren't the best design in the world, especially the permutations of the hinge they have tried over the years, which has caused problems, the latest version being the best.

So, whilst I would have been straight down to the van to fit it, I've spent a bit of time changing the hinge to the latest version and due to noting the stress points on mine and friends doors I've been reinforcing these areas.

One of the problems is that they are 5ft 9ins x 2ft 1ins and supported by one central gas ram which makes them a bit wobbly and twisty, especially in the wind, so when I eventually get back down I'll sit and ponder changing to two gas rams, with a pencil behind my ear, a note book and measure on my lap and a glass of thinking potion, red wine, in my right hand, 😉

Maybe you could use some carbon fibre or fibreglass rods fiberglassed on the inside of the door to give it some rigidity.  You can get carbon fibre or fibreglass poles that are used to build kites, that are strong and quite cheap.

2 hours ago, junglejim said:

Charlieboy, something big enough for 4  aluminium yes and a smooth top for cleaning preferably.  Not a slatted top as thats what we've got at the mo and a pain to wipe off.

Unfortunately slatted was the type I was going to recommend.

I would advise Ebay though.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, GaryB1969 said:

Brilliant bits of kit!  I installed a 12 volt socket just inside the entrance door to make it easier to use.

Sounds good.

I saved myself the bother by connecting to the 12v caravan battery, using a heavy duty 12 / 24v cigarette socket using crocodile clips, HERE easy peasy!:)

Edited by Barum
Link
  • Like 2

I can see us living in the van when lockdown ends  so to reduce site fees I bought a 1kw folding  solar panel for use on non EHU CLs.  I have been accused of buying "another bit of tech" and I will admit I'll have to visit a lot of CLs to get my money back  :rolleyes:

• Haha 1

today i finally got around to ordering a water inlet conversion kit, getting rid of the old carver style and moving to the new pistol grip and a 10m roll of continuous zipper to go with the 12m of grey fabric which arrived last week ready to reupholster the front sofas. 

11 hours ago, PMW said:

today i finally got around to ordering a water inlet conversion kit, getting rid of the old carver style and moving to the new pistol grip and a 10m roll of continuous zipper to go with the 12m of grey fabric which arrived last week ready to reupholster the front sofas. 

I have an almost brand new Whale version pistol grip pump in our shed.  We had it for our Lunar caravan.  Our new caravan takes the Whale inlet.  I need to get around to selling it sometime.