Britannia LV rescue Vs CMC Mayday.

Hey folks.

Seeing as ADAC is removing the Plus cover for me from 1st Sept I need a new breakdown recovery service.

I think I have got to the final two contenders.

Either Mayday and then RP when we go abroad.

Or the Britannia LV European cover provided via Boundless..

I used to be with Mayday before I went to ADAC and am aware how good it is. 

Does anyone have experience of actually using Britannia LV and are they reliable? 

We have travel Insurance through my work so I was hoping the RP will not be needed if we can get a decent vehicle European policy.

Thanks.

I'm with Britannia through my Nationwide Flexi+ account, had them out to me on local call outs and got good service.  The garage that came out is one that goes out to others as well, so service will be same whoever you join if all use same agents.

• I agree completely 1

Regards, David
Ford Kuga ST line 2ltr. Diesel 2017,  Bailey Pursuit 11 400/2 2018, Emove em303 motor mover, Hyundai 1000i Generator.

Does Britannia give all the Mayday benefits for the caravan or is it just for car breakdowns ? Asking because I recently opened a NWide A/c just before they reduced the interest rates . . . . . . . . .

2 hours ago, DerbyClubman said:

Does Britannia give all the Mayday benefits for the caravan or is it just for car breakdowns ? Asking because I recently opened a NWide A/c just before they reduced the interest rates . . . . . . . . .

In short no, you don't get the onward travel part but with CSMA you get European cover for the price of Mayday.

• Thanks 1

Nationwide Flexi+ covers Europe as well as UK

Regards, David
Ford Kuga ST line 2ltr. Diesel 2017,  Bailey Pursuit 11 400/2 2018, Emove em303 motor mover, Hyundai 1000i Generator.

I'm with Britannia (also a Boundless member) and had cause to use them 3 times over the years. The most recent was In France three years ago when the clutch on my Citroen failed.  The recovery vehicle picked up my car within an hour of my call, took it to the local Citroen dealer and I got it back two days later, all fixed. Britannia kept me informed at all stages. First occasion some years ago near home was a failure of the caravan axle. Again, picked up promptly and sorted without fuss. I wouldn't use anybody else.  I'm also in the minority who had a really poor experience with a Red Pennant medical emergency and wouldn't go near them again.

John M

2017 Skoda Superb Estate 2. 0 Tdi 190; 2014 Swift Challenger 530SE + Powrtouch Evolution

How long is the European cover with Britannia bought as a Boundless member?

There seems to be little wrong with Britannia except the extent of the cover. They cover the car and may not attend in the event of the caravan being the cause of a breakdown.

Mayday also gives you onward travel if your car breaks down on the way to a site and recovery back home if the car cannot be fixed when you are away. It will also recover the caravan if the car breaks down while you are away from the site and need recovery home, I am not sure Britannia will do that. Mayday service is generally regarded as excellent.

The RAC Arrival through the C&CC is more expensive, and there have been some bad reports about their service of late, but they have the additional benefit of covering you to take the caravan back to storage and the car home, which s the biggest failure of Mayday and another one against Britannia. The cover is otherwise the same as Mayday. Mayday do give a half hearted message that they will do both if there is no additional cost to them and it can be done on the route of the recovery. I think that means you may have to bribe the recovery driver.

If the caravan is kept in storage then probably Mayday and Arrival are the best bet.

Posted (edited)

I can store my van at home as a temporary measure so that's not a problem.

Phoned Britannia 180 days cover per policy year for European cover and the lady said the caravan is covered whilst it's connected to the car. That seems pretty standard for most breakdown policies.

17 minutes ago, Wildwood said:

There seems to be little wrong with Britannia except the extent of the cover. They cover the car and may not attend in the event of the caravan being the cause of a breakdown.

Mayday also gives you onward travel if your car breaks down on the way to a site and recovery back home if the car cannot be fixed when you are away. It will also recover the caravan if the car breaks down while you are away from the site and need recovery home, I am not sure Britannia will do that. Mayday service is generally regarded as excellent.

The RAC Arrival through the C&CC is more expensive, and there have been some bad reports about their service of late, but they have the additional benefit of covering you to take the caravan back to storage and the car home, which s the biggest failure of Mayday and another one against Britannia. The cover is otherwise the same as Mayday. Mayday do give a half hearted message that they will do both if there is no additional cost to them and it can be done on the route of the recovery. I think that means you may have to bribe the recovery driver.

If the caravan is kept in storage then probably Mayday and Arrival are the best bet.

Can you explain where you found out that Brittannia may not cover in the event that only if the caravan is the cause they may not attend?

Thanks.

Edited by Jiffy176
  • I agree completely 1
5 minutes ago, Jiffy176 said:

I can store my van at home as a temporary measure so that's not a problem.

Phoned Britannia 180 days cover per policy year for European cover and the lady said the caravan is covered whilst it's connected to the car. That seems pretty standard for most breakdown policies.

Can you explain where you found out that Brittannia may not cover in the event that only if the caravan is the cause they may not attend?

Thanks.

Yes where?

https://www.nationwide.co.uk/-/media/MainSite/documents/products/current-accounts/flexplus/flexplus-breakdown-insurance-IPID.pdf

Regards, David

All I can see in that is they won't cover a caravan over 8m shipping length

Just now, Jiffy176 said:

When through Nationwide at least.

Regards, David

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, David 38 said:

When through Nationwide at least.

Yes might try and find the full t&c again

https://www.lv.com › docsPDF
CSMA Breakdown DOI - LV

Not sure how old though.

Edited by Jiffy176
9 minutes ago, Jiffy176 said:

Yes might try and find the full t&c again

https://www.lv.com › docsPDF
CSMA Breakdown DOI - LV

Not sure how old though.

I'm not on LV conditions I'm on Nationwide BS conditions and those are what I quoted.

https://www.nationwide.co.uk/-/media/MainSite/documents/products/current-accounts/flexplus/P3350_FlexPlus_UK_European_Breakdown_and_Recovery_Assistance_Policy.pdf

They did come out to me when I had a problem with the caravan only and fixed it.

In the past I've had problems with a caravan only and my breakdown cover covered fixing can't say if I was with Nation wide at that time or not.

Regards, David

28 minutes ago, David 38 said:

I'm not on LV conditions I'm on Nationwide BS conditions and those are what I quoted.

https://www.nationwide.co.uk/-/media/MainSite/documents/products/current-accounts/flexplus/P3350_FlexPlus_UK_European_Breakdown_and_Recovery_Assistance_Policy.pdf

They did come out to me when I had a problem with the caravan only and fixed it.

In the past I've had problems with a caravan only and my breakdown cover covered fixing can't say if I was with Nation wide at that time or not.

Either way it looks like they do cover. I wonder where Wildwood got his info from?

8 hours ago, Jiffy176 said:

. . . . . .and anything more than 2.3m wide which will rule out my Coachman VIP as that is said to be 2310mm wide !!   I know they won't bother measuring such a small difference - but what about the trend for wider vans now with many manufacturers producing vans 8ft wide (2.44m)

• Thanks 1

As I said in my earlier reply, my first breakdown call to Britannia some years ago was because of a problem with the caravan (which necessitated it being taken away on a low loader).  I was then a CSMA member, now Boundless.  However, all anybody needs to do, and should do, is to check the T&Cs of whichever provider they wish to use. Britannia consistently do well in Which? surveys but that doesn't mean they will suit everyone.

John M

• Thanks 1

2017 Skoda Superb Estate 2. 0 Tdi 190; 2014 Swift Challenger 530SE + Powrtouch Evolution

Brittania will cover the caravan, as long as it is being used as a single unit, ie when  towing.

I have an email from Brittania saying they will cover both .

This was my question.

Britannia cover is rated quite highly by caravan owners but there seems to be mixed messages from Britannia as to what is actually covered in the event of a breakdown. One member has had a verbal reply that unless ‘hitched’ the caravan is not covered, whereas another member has said as long as the car and caravan take the same trip to either the UK or abroad they are treated as “ 1 unit “ so a problem with the caravan will be treated with the same regard as if the towing vehicle broke down. I have read your terms and conditions  but they can be interpreted if different ways and therefore I would like reassurance and clarification that in the unhappy event of a problem both car and caravan will be covered ‘hitched’ or otherwise as long as they undertook the same journey.

One scenario is if I arrive at a site and unhitch the caravan , go for a drive around and the car breaks down , if the breakdown to the car was more serious and not immediately repairable and our caravan was on a site  would the cover extend to recovery / repatriation of car as well as the caravan.

Good afternoon

Your query has just been referred to me. I’m sorry for the delay.

Yes, we would help for the scenario you gave. If we weren’t able to repair your car locally, and your car and caravan then needed to be recovered home, we would bring you back.

We do indeed specify that caravans or trailers need to be being towed by a vehicle on cover. This is mainly to prevent caravans being assisted to which aren’t connected to our policy holders’ vehicles. So long as the journey was a planned trip with the car and caravan together, then we’re happy to treat them as one unit. The related exclusions to this are that caravans aren’t covered at the home address / place of storage.

I’m grateful to you for the feedback on this issue and we’ll do what we can to make things clearer. Please feel free to email me directly if you have any further queries. Hopefully, you won’t be unlucky enough to break down. But if you do, we’re here to help.

• Thanks 1

Nissan X trail Dci 150 Sport - Bailey Ranger 520 /4

Thanks for that Mr Puffin. When my ADAC runs out in July I think Brittania will be my choice.

Mayday sounds fine but the extra cost of joining the club makes it more expensive for me as a non-clubsite user.

I've had to call out Britannia twice in France on the same trip because of caravan tyre punctures. No quibble, a local garage came out within an hour each time and did a swap with the spare.   Luckily I had managed to source a replacement spare in between the two failures!

The third time I had to call them out when caravanning was when my hitchlock key broke in the barrel, leaving car and caravan inseparable (I was on an overnight stop and had foolishly put the hitchlock on while we went out on foot for a meal - I'll never do that again!).  At first they did quibble, saying that I should tow the outfit to a garage, until I pointed out that this could hinder the operation of the caravan brakes rendering the tow unsafe.  Unfortunately, the mechanic couldn't do anything other than find me a locksmith to sort it.

Nissan X-Trail Tekna + Coachman Festival 450

Thanks to all who have contributed. This looks like the way to go when ADAC expires.

Some good experiences here.

Just a thought..

If your caravan insurance is up for renewal it may be worth taking a look at Safeguard who offer AA car and caravan UK/Europe breakdown insurance for £65-70pa

Never had to call on them for assistance, so can't comment on the service.

Full details on their website.

It is good to see Britannia will come out if the caravan has the problem. My point was they do not seem to specify this in the wording so I felt that point needed covering.

Because of the double recovery inclusion, my choice is either Mayday or Arrival, I did go for Mayday after some bad postings for the Arrival service, but it was a very close thing.

• 1 month later...

Beware Green Flag / Mayday at present.  Albeit their great reputation.

My policy is due for renewal and I had a couple of questions I required clearing.

I phoned the number given on the bumf and the in car stickers 0800 051 5318.

After more then 16 minutes I had not been connected to anyone. By which time temper was rising.

Shortly afterwards, a girl answered and was more interested in getting my personal details including DOB. After venting my feelings, she went on to give the standard answer for bad service today, which is Covid 19.

She could not give me a satisfactory answer when I asked if I had been broken down and used a mobile phone to seek assistance, I reckoned the phone battery would possibly be flat by that time.

She then said I should have called 0800 40 600, but refused to give direct phone numbers.

Yesterday, I had a call from someone in their head office who waffled on a fair bit but had to agree about the potential of a flat mobile battery. He also refused to give direct phone numbers.

However, once time allows, I shall search my mountain of bumf and hopefully get the number for Green Flag in Glasgow. Here you can speak to their head honcho.

I shall update if possible.