scallywag69

Towing vehicle ability

29 minutes ago, Lutz said:

The would have reason to take it further just to convince themselves, yes, but that doesn't mean that towing a 3 tonne trailer with a car that only has a 1200kg max. towload is, by definition, illegal.

Oh dear :(

Scallywag

I was a Traffic Cop for the best part of 30 years (Hence the knowledge re weights etc)

I retired from the old bill in 2005 and moved on to the Local Council Highway Authority for another 7 years, then took voluntary redundancy. I qualified for my state pension on the 6th last month (65 yrs & 10 months) So I am really a two times pensioner now (and lovin’ It :D ) 

Andy

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Grandpa Steve said:

The would have reason to take it further just to convince themselves, yes, but that doesn't mean that towing a 3 tonne trailer with a car that only has a 1200kg max. towload is, by definition, illegal.

The fact that the towing vehicle could not possibly stop the 3 tonne monster behind it in an emergency is illegal never mind being just plain reckless.

Never mind the likelihood of towing up or down an incline.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, scallywag69 said:

Hi, Just about to become a Caravanner and have my eye on a Lunar Lexon 575 EB 09. My Ford Focus Estate 1.6 Petrol non turbo has the following permissable weights inside the Door....GVW..1825kg and GTW..3025kg...does anyone have any idea on how the Car is going to deal with this Van, we will not be going very far or up and down too many hills so would appreciate any advice please. Thanks.

In a word - NO.

and.....

Nobody has mentioned the wear n tear on the towing vehicle's engine and gearbox. Years ago I towed a 1100kg van with a company car Morris Marina 1.3 - we did not tow a lot but the vehicle was a wreck when it was replaced, burned oil and a horrible sounding gearbox.

• Thanks 1

The thread has gone a bit of course. The simple answer to the question is that the caravan has an MTPLM that exceeds the towing limit of the car. The MIRO is just on the towing limit so realistically it would never be a legal combination.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Wildwood said:

The thread has gone a bit of course. The simple answer to the question is that the caravan has an MTPLM that exceeds the towing limit of the car. The MIRO is just on the towing limit so realistically it would never be a legal combination.

Wildwood, at last, one of the voices of reason, thank you.:D

21 minutes ago, AWanderingLancastrian said:

The fact that the towing vehicle could not possibly stop the 3 tonne monster behind it in an emergency is illegal never mind being just plain reckless.

Never mind the likelihood of towing up or down an incline.

Totally agree, thanks.

• I agree completely 1

29 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

Scallywag

I was a Traffic Cop for the best part of 30 years (Hence the knowledge re weights etc)

I retired from the old bill in 2005 and moved on to the Local Council Highway Authority for another 7 years, then took voluntary redundancy. I qualified for my state pension on the 6th last month (65 yrs & 10 months) So I am really a two times pensioner now (and lovin’ It :D ) 

Andy

Good luck to you Andy, i bet you,re glad you,re out of it, welcome to the World of instead of not having enough hours in the day to do the things that Society drags us in to having to do,( work every hour God gives to be able to survive etc ) to having too much time and not enough things to do to fill the time, another one of lifes examples of it,s unfairness.

Phil.

• Thanks 1

Back in the day I used to tow a double horse trailer with a Datsun LWB Patrol.

I was continually amazed by the variety of vehicles used to tow horse trailers.

The best was seeing a (single) full size trailer with quite a large animal inside being towed by a 2 seater MG.

When I said to her, are you sure?" the reply was, "it's got a really big engine, it has no trouble going up hills".

I asked, "what about coming down again?"

Blank look.

Shortly after had to be retrieved from a ditch. Horse had to be shot. Car and trailer write-off. Not sure if driver was prosecuted for an unsafe load.

Seemed that the trailer took control of the car, with predictably sad consequences.

There is a weight consideration for a reason.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, The road toad said:

In a word - NO.

and.....

Nobody has mentioned the wear n tear on the towing vehicle's engine and gearbox. Years ago I towed a 1100kg van with a company car Morris Marina 1.3 - we did not tow a lot but the vehicle was a wreck when it was replaced, burned oil and a horrible sounding gearbox.

Possibly nothing to do with towing the caravan, all Marinas were like that. I had a 1.3 one, it burnt oil but replacing the cylinder head valve guides and seals and the piston rings and it was then ok. The gearbox just needed new synchromesh rings. On top of that it needed new sills and wings due to rust. The joy of 1970s cars. Younger people now will not need the welding, filling, spraying skills us older ones have learnt.

Scallywag's car will tow his caravan, its weight will need to be kept down, maybe a bit slow and care will be needed but for the few short trips planned it should last.

Edited by Paul1957
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, The road toad said:

. Years ago I towed a 1100kg van with a company car Morris Marina 1.3 - we did not tow a lot but the vehicle was a wreck when it was replaced, burned oil and a horrible sounding gearbox.

By the sounds of it you had one of the (few) good ones ! 

The Morris Marina was a very advanced car for the 1950’s trouble was they were being sold in the 1970’s 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Or ring a local vehicle recovery firm and pay them to carry your caravan on one of their trucks to the caravan site.

There’s a guy local to me who I’ve used when I can’t be bothered to phone my breakdown company, he charges about £40 to take my car anywhere within the city I live. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, The road toad said:

Years ago I towed a 1100kg van with a company car Morris Marina 1.3 - we did not tow a lot but the vehicle was a wreck when it was replaced, burned oil and a horrible sounding gearbox.

Never towed with mine but it sounds a lot like yours was. ;)

2 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

By the sounds of it you had one of the (few) good ones ! 

The Morris Marina was a very advanced car for the 1950’s trouble was they were being sold in the 1970’s 

Totally agree :)

I wonder how much this vehicle could still tow?

Overloaded pickup.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Durbanite said:

I wonder how much this vehicle could still tow?

Overloaded pickup.jpg

This actually highlights part of the issue! We often hear "how much can it tow", without the essential caveats "comfortably, safely and legally"! I don't know about the legal aspect where this was, but it certainly won't have been safe or comfortable.

• Thanks 1

On 21/05/2020 at 13:57, LeadFarmer said:

Or ring a local vehicle recovery firm and pay them to carry your caravan on one of their trucks to the caravan site.

There’s a guy local to me who I’ve used when I can’t be bothered to phone my breakdown company, he charges about £40 to take my car anywhere within the city I live. 

Yep, worth considering LeadFarmer, thanks

On 21/05/2020 at 13:57, LeadFarmer said:

We were on the M6 once towing the caravan when our car broke down (failed turbo). The RAC got a local garage to sort us out. The car went on the truck and the caravan was towed by it, first to the camp site to drop off the caravan and then to their garage to fix the car. So I suspect a breakdown truck is more likely to tow a caravan than put it on the back.  The RAC once recovered our car after a crash and they charged £70 back in 2010 which we claimed back from the insurer so £40 might be cheap. If using a breakdown service watch out for oily gloves since I never managed to remove the oil marks left on the caravan handles.