Sign in to follow this  
ladydode100

Elddis avante

Can anyone give me opinions/advice on Elddis Avante please, 2012, the one we have looked at with the fixed single beds, seems  a good price, or are they cheaply made ? known for ant specific weaknesses etc,

Thanks Dode.

Like any caravan check for damp, particularly around the front windows. At that age it will be the Solid construction but that does not mean it can not suffer from damp. Check for cracks in the rear panel.

Especially in the top rear panel

20190423_120733.jpg

Posted (edited)
48 minutes ago, Rbrown3 said:

Especially in the top rear panel

20190423_120733.jpg

I've lost count of the amount of times we've seen this, but bare in mind it's not just an Elddis problem, and it can effect any manufacture.   We haven't seen a British manufacture that hasn't suffered from this kind of stress fracturing. 

A long time ago, there was an extensive investigation carried out by a couple of big names, that concluded the manufactures were drilling pilot holes too small for the screws or rivets the manufactures were using to join panels.  This was causing tiny fractures from the undersized holes, which eventually tracked further outward to what you can see on your Caravan.   That's not always the cause, and in some cases it was down to excessive stresses being put in certain places during driving.   I've seen a good success rate where owners drill a small hole at the end of the crack to stop it, then just run a bead of White sealer over the whole crack.  As it's out of sight, it's not a huge problem that this method is used, but it seems to work on some fractures.

Another issue we've seen dozens of times is on some of the older Bailey Alu-tech side panels.  They literally crack between the awning light and the roof.  I was told by one customer that Bailey claimed people were overloading their Caravans incorrectly, causing the Caravan to bend, hence the cracks in the middle, which I thought was a wind up, until he showed me the e.mail directly from the manufacture.  One can only imagine how much weight you'd need to distribute unevenly to cause a Caravan to bend, and how they came up with this ridiculous conclusion can only be answered by the Caravan industry :unsure:

Edited by Tourershine

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Tourershine said:

I've lost count of the amount of times we've seen this, but bare in mind it's not just an Elddis problem, and it can effect any manufacture.   We haven't seen a British manufacture that hasn't suffered from this kind of stress fracturing. 

We had that issue on our 2016 Elddis product and there were many reports of this happening across all brands.  It seems to have stopped around 2017/2018 as we do not have that issue with our 2018 Elddis product.

Edited by Durbanite

4 hours ago, Durbanite said:

We had that issue on our 2016 Elddis product and there were many reports of this happening across all brands.  It seems to have stopped around 2017/2018 as we do not have that issue with our 2018 Elddis product.

I could be wrong, but i'm sure they've changed the way they attach the panels on the later Elddis Caravans.  I'm sure it's a bonding, rather than screwed, removing the need to drill pilot holes.  It's either Elddis or Swift that's changed the way they attach panels. 

• Like 1

I think the problem arose far later than 2012, so that caravan should be safe. If it had that problem then it would have either been repaired by now or does not suffer from it.