Has anybody got a Total Cool Cooler.  They seem very expensive at over £300 and appear to just blow air through a water filled foam pad.  Would be grateful to hear from anybody that owns one. 

Posted (edited)

I think they are basically the same as any evaporative cooler which can be had for a lot less money. 

This type of cooler won't cool a room down, especially this size won't cool your caravan down they are more personal coolers.

The humidity of the atmosphere also affects the effectiveness.

They can drop the air temperature coming out of the outlet by a few degrees so great if you are sitting in your caravan on a hot day with it being directed at yourself but at £300 is overpriced

Edited by Danuk

Similar thing on eBay, not quite as flashy, less than £15. 

I have witnessed an evaporative cooler in action in a caravan and my experience is that if you sit right in front of one they do feel quite pleasant, so a possibility as a "personal cooler".

But.......

Evaporative coolers work using latent heat of vapourisation. Turning liquid water to water vapour requires  heat energy, which is drawn from the surroundings which will lead to a temperature drop. So far so good.

The problem is that they pump out a lot of water vapour which bumps up the humidity which makes you feel more uncomfortable at least partially undoing any benefit.

If you leave all the windows and rooflights open this will remove the excess humidity, but on really hot and humid days this will not necessarily be sufficient.

If opening all the windows and rooflights helps as above, one could argue a decent fan might be just as effective.

After researching all the various options I narrowed my options to either:

a. Buying the lightest compressor type portable A/C unit I could find and venting out of a window, or better still a custom vent in the caravan wall/floor.

b. Install "proper" built in A/C (at least three times the price if a DIY install).

Any compressor type A/C unit will work 100x better than fans or evaporative coolers because compressor A/C units also dehumidify the air which makes as big a comfort difference as temperature reduction.

• I agree completely 1

In all the years we’ve been travelling to various parts of France in the summer we’ve never felt the need for A/C. Just kept windows and roof lights open during the day and the Dyson fan on during the night. A few years ago in the Dordogne in July we were in the middle of a heatwave with hot winds blowing up from Africa. A couple in a big Buccaneer arrived next to us which had an A/C unit on the roof running full time. First morning they emerged from their icy caravan at about 11:00 and both promptly keeled over in the heat.  Yes it was hot but we were fine sitting in the shade of our canopy. They spent the next 4 days rarely leaving their van, going to the showers late in the evening then announced they were heading back to the U.K.  I’m sure if they had let themselves become acclimatised like we had they would have been fine. I also suspect they had their A/C set to full cold whereas if they had set it to just knock the edge off the heat that would have been better. 

Actually, a fan can be remarkably effective if it blows over you and you are wearing light or no clothing.  I slept very well in temps over ninety Fahrenheit by using a pedestal fan on low speed.  This was in Ascension Island.  It's why ceiling fans are so popular in hot countries.  A punkah wallah is also very good.

Skoda Yeti 2.0 Outdoor DSG.  Freedom Jetstream Sports Twin Flare.  Reich mover.

23 minutes ago, kelper said:

Actually, a fan can be remarkably effective if it blows over you and you are wearing light or no clothing.  I slept very well in temps over ninety Fahrenheit by using a pedestal fan on low speed.  This was in Ascension Island.  It's why ceiling fans are so popular in hot countries.  A punkah wallah is also very good.

Unfortunately due to the Modern Slavery Act Caravan Talk cannot be party to this kind of suggestion, please find yourself appropriately rebuked - :beardy::beardy:

• Haha 1

Jaguar E-Pace 180D HSE R Dynamic - 2008 Swift Conqueror 540

"Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan Talk"

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Grandpa Steve said:

Unfortunately due to the Modern Slavery Act Caravan Talk cannot be party to this kind of suggestion, please find yourself appropriately rebuked.

It is not slavery - they get above the minimum wage and free exercise.  😜

Edited by kelper
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, bigbilly said:

Has anybody got a Total Cool Cooler.  They seem very expensive at over £300 and appear to just blow air through a water filled foam pad.  Would be grateful to hear from anybody that owns one. 

Swamp coolers only work when the humidity is very low.  I bought one and tested it - there was absolutely no cooling.

Don't waste your money.

Kia KX 3 auto / Bailey Alicanto Grande Estoril and Swift Challenger 570 (2010 model Not towed - used as a static)

The manufacturer claims it can lower temperatures by 45%.  This is total gibberish.  40 deg F is not 45% colder than 58 deg F because the scale is arbitrary.  The up to 45% is also a clue.  Many companies claim their products are up to 100% effective.  5% effective meets that claim.  Actually, zero meets that claim!