Holidays across the channel - from 1 January 2021.

I always take my caravan insurance documents with me when I go abroad along with all my other paperwork , I also insure with the CCC for breakdown & health insurance as I assume most sensible people do . 

I don’t think that the “old” paper driving licences have been acceptable/valid in the E.U. for many years now. That’s why the U.K. changed to the plastic card variety, to ensure conformity across the entire E.U. 

I dont quite see how UK caravans can be required to have their own separate insurance in the E.U. Because they do not have any registration details to individually uidentify them like cars do (Caravan VIN numbers are not required to be held on a central register, such as DLA Swansea, like car VRM’s are. CRiS is a wholly voluntary system)  

Last year I obtained two “Green Cards” from my car insurers  one showed the cars VRM and the other showed my caravan make and model but no specific identifier for it.  In the U.K. any third party insurance risks are covered by the towing vehicles insurance anyway. I suspect that’s not the case for cars registered in the rest of the EU other than the U.K.

I wonder if U.K. insurers will now see that as a means of separating car and caravan third party risk insurance, and use it as a way of generating more income by insisting each must have its own? 

4 minutes ago, stevew1 said:

I always take my caravan insurance documents with me when I go abroad along with all my other paperwork , I also insure with the CCC for breakdown & health insurance as I assume most sensible people do . 

I certainly have breakdown and health insurance, but not with the CCC, they are far too expensive! 

Edited by Mr Plodd

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

After seeing the reports of young Brits partying on the beach & breaking all social distance rules in Sydney , a la Bournemouth in the summer & the escapees from the Swiss ski resort it will be a wonder if our reputation as Covidiots doesn’t bring even more obstacles our way when travelling. Maybe proof of vaccination will be brought in ?.

Spain is introducing a database of those that refuse the vaccine. They said it will be available to other countries but the info will be kept confidential. 

Reported on R4 Today prog this morning. 

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

I have always had a separate insurance for my caravan,thought everyone did,it’s identified by its serial number,and printed on the documents 

22 minutes ago, Pheasant said:

I have always had a separate insurance for my caravan,thought everyone did,it’s identified by its serial number,and printed on the documents 

Are you referring to your Caravan Insurance policy covering Loss/Damage? Mr Plodd is not refer to that, but to Third party cover. Most caravanners rely on their car policy which covers third party risks involving the caravan.

The cover for third party risks granted by the car insurance only applies when the caravan is attached to the car.

When not attached, for example on site or in storage, you would need separate caravan insurance to cover third party risks.

3 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

I don’t think that the “old” paper driving licences have been acceptable/valid in the E.U. for many years now. That’s why the U.K. changed to the plastic card variety, to ensure conformity across the entire E.U. 

I dont quite see how UK caravans can be required to have their own separate insurance in the E.U. Because they do not have any registration details to individually uidentify them like cars do (Caravan VIN numbers are not required to be held on a central register, such as DLA Swansea, like car VRM’s are. CRiS is a wholly voluntary system)  

Last year I obtained two “Green Cards” from my car insurers  one showed the cars VRM and the other showed my caravan make and model but no specific identifier for it.  In the U.K. any third party insurance risks are covered by the towing vehicles insurance anyway. I suspect that’s not the case for cars registered in the rest of the EU other than the U.K.

I wonder if U.K. insurers will now see that as a means of separating car and caravan third party risk insurance, and use it as a way of generating more income by insisting each must have its own? 

I certainly have breakdown and health insurance, but not with the CCC, they are far too expensive! 

I find the CMC very expensive with even the cheaper of the two policies dearer than the CCC  , I like my choice with the CCC because it covers all eventualities with the caravan for up to 6 months abroad in large chunks & also covers me in Europe if I get the urge to fly off somewhere for a shorter break , the CMC policy can be tailored to your own use but you don’t get many days for your money .

43 minutes ago, stevew1 said:

I find the CMC very expensive with even the cheaper of the two policies dearer than the CCC  , ...

I like the good reputation of the CMC of paying out on a claim.

38 minutes ago, David 38 said:

I will endorse David's statement.   Although my claim occurred ten years ago and things may have changed since , the CMC dealt with my £30K claim promptly - even to the extent of insisting that they book me a flight home from Malaga, and send a driver to bring my vehicle home. 

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

3 hours ago, OWOMW said:

The cover for third party risks granted by the car insurance only applies when the caravan is attached to the car.

When not attached, for example on site or in storage, you would need separate caravan insurance to cover third party risks.

The only legal requirement is that there is in place some insurance to cover third party risks when on a public road. It is highly advisable to have additional insurance cover but it is not a requirement in law.

The Caravans “Green Card” is proof that the minimum cover required for use on a road is in existence. 

57 minutes ago, David 38 said:

But tge CMC are not actually an insurance company are they? As such they are not covered by the industry regulator! 

Each to his own of course, I know a few who have been with the same car insurer for many years because “They've always been good to me” That always makes me smile, they have never made a claim and are paying sometimes nearly three times the amount I am! 

6 hours ago, stevew1 said:

Maybe proof of vaccination will be brought in ?.

Hi, I have seen, and heard, this quite a few times and wonder what it would achieve?

As the vaccine does not stop you getting Covid-19 you could still have it and pass it on.
Indeed it’s possible that once vaccinated people may be less scrupulous about distancing etc.

2 minutes ago, Allan Guest said:

Indeed it’s possible that once vaccinated people may be less scrupulous about distancing etc.

Yes, it'll be our turn to not give a toss and see how the present Covidiots like that (only kidding.......I think!)

5 minutes ago, Allan Guest said:

Hi, I have seen, and heard, this quite a few times and wonder what it would achieve?

As the vaccine does not stop you getting Covid-19 you could still have it and pass it on.

Not too sure that correct old chap!!

Where is the evidence that if you have been vaccinated against the following that you can still contract it and pass it on??

• Flu 
  • Yellow fever
  • Rubella 
  • Hepatitis
  • Cholera
  • Typhoid
  • TB
  • Polio

There are many more I can think of but I am sure you get the idea :) 

Edited by Mr Plodd

10 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

Not too sure that correct old chap!!

Where is the evidence that if you have been vaccinated against the following that you can still contract it and pass it on??

• Flu 
  • Yellow fever
  • Rubella 
  • Hepatitis
  • Cholera
  • Typhoid
  • TB
  • Polio

There are many more I can think of but I am sure you get the idea :) 

Much depends on the means of transmission and if the virus is a fairly stable one or not.

Take Covid and similar respiratory infections which are spread by droplets one way or another.

After a successful vaccination against say Covid, your antibodies, hopefully, will protect you from being re-infected and allowing the virus to cause the disease in your body, by preventing them from multiplying, and, or ,killing the virus outright.

So even though you are immune you still could breath in a high viral load from a nearby infected person sneezing or coughing, you will then have viable viri in your respiratory tract, possibly mainly your nose, your antibodies will trigger and fight these viri, but it takes time for sufficient antibodies to be produced and to defeat all the viri in your body possibly days, till this happens you still have live viri in your respiratory tract, until such time elapses that all the viri have been defeated.

So yes, theoretically, some one with total immunity from the Covid virus causing the disease in themselves  could pass it on to someone without protection, research is ongoing into this effect and the question of that when someone is successfully immunised should they still wear a mask where required.

Alan.

I think the way it works is that initially you contract whatever “it” is. If unvaccinated then “it” reproduces itself over a period of time (hence the 14 day “lag” between infection and Covid becoming obvious in humans), then makes you ill and in addition produces enough clones of itself for you to pass it on. 

If you have been vaccinated, once “it” gets inside you, your bodies immune system recognises it as being bad, so produces enough killer thingies (technical term!) and such like to kill it off before “it” has a chance to reproduce itself in enough numbers to make you ill/pass it on. 

Glad my terminology made you smile as theres  precious little to do that at the moment :D

Edited by Mr Plodd

Just come up on my Sky news feed. 

Over 53 THOUSAND new Covid cases in the last 24 hours. 

The whole country will be in Tier 4 very soon. I wouldn’t be surprised if Boris doesn’t announce it this evening rather than waiting for tomorrow’s “review” 

Personally I would welcome it, it will be a pain but everyone will be subject to the same restrictions, so no excuses for not complying. And whilst at it start fining people heavily and publicise the number fined for breaking the rules !!

We have GOT to get on top of this, and fast! 

I have to agree with Andy on this one i too think we will be in full lockdown again tomorrow  and yes fine them with a heavy fine £1000 sounds good to me also name and shame them and print number plates as well then the whole country will know who these covid idiots are no sympathy at all.

Martin

7 minutes ago, guinness said:

the whole country will know who these covid idiots are

Only tonight Sky TV reports that Dyfed-Powys Police handed out a penalty notice to one man who had driven from Hertfordshire to walk up Pen-y-Fan.   Also a minibus full of mixed households travelled to the area from Cheltenham.

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

17 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

I think the way it works is that initially you contract whatever “it” is.

Hi Andy, Seems the BBC are also CT. users and have responded by providing this explanation!!

B4300BC1-7332-44DD-8D85-3FB6D794AE54.png

Media reporting the Oxford is going to be rolled out  on Monday.

On 29/12/2020 at 20:51, guinness said:

I have to agree with Andy on this one i too think we will be in full lockdown again tomorrow  and yes fine them with a heavy fine £1000 sounds good to me also name and shame them and print number plates as well then the whole country will know who these covid idiots are no sympathy at all.

Martin

Totally agree, we live in an area with many holiday homes and reports are that they are all full, no wonder we jumped from tier two to tier four with a massive jump in infections over the last three weeks.  The seaside resorts here have been packed with maskless, non-distanced refugees who came from tier three and four areas when we were tier two, and who seem to think they can relax whilst on holiday, to the detriment of everyone who lives here.  

Sorry, rant over.

• 2 weeks later...

Careful what food you pack, though.

If you travel to the EU from a non-EU country, you are not allowed to bring any meat or dairy products with you.  You can however bring a limited quantity of fruit and vegetables as well as eggs, egg products and honey.  Restricted quantities of fish or fish products are also allowed.

https://europa.EU/youreurope/citizens/travel/carry/meat-dairy-animal/index_en.htm

Edited by robloasby

Tuna , mayo , sweet corn sarnies it is then 😊