Sign in to follow this  
Durbanite

Overseas booking with CMC?

The old format was a lot easier to use, but this new one is a load of rubbish and very frustrating to use.   Trying to select the dates was a hassle as could not scroll to the month as could not see the months.  If I moved the screen downwards the calendar disappeared and it was a real hassle to get it back up.  I had to click on my car length several times before it would accept the length.  Then had to go through the same process for the height.

I managed to select a crossing which I thought was rather expensive, but it said that if I select 4 vouchers the crossing will be cheaper so did this only to find that the crossing I had selected had all the details wiped out and had to start again.

Maybe less frustrating to pay the extra and join the BF Voyage club as with the club the price is a lot lower for Sept month?  Very disappointed with CMC and their booking website.  Is it perhaps easy just to phone the CMC as they were only £30 less with vouchers than BF without vouchers for non member?

Why not ask a BF Club Voyage member for permission to use their membership number? You get <10% of ferry prices with that, which means it's often cheaper than the CMC. I know Mr Plodd is a BF Club Voyage member and there are other CT members.

Ern

Hi,

A subject that comes up quite often and my response is the same now as before-you will almost always get a far better deal with CMC, via a combined fare, than with BF as a Voyager Club member.

I am talking hundreds of pounds, this year's crossing would have been over £300 cheaper and don't forget that you have to pay to both join and be a member of the BF  Voyager club.

The main thing is to look at the CMC ferries info and see where the best value is to be had-like a caravan goes free offers.

Re the website it hs improved since it was changed but still not a great experience.

What were your crossing/date/outfit details?

11 minutes ago, Ern said:

Why not ask a BF Club Voyage member for permission to use their membership number? You get <10% of ferry prices with that, which means it's often cheaper than the CMC. I know Mr Plodd is a BF Club Voyage member and there are other CT members.

Andy, Mr P,  kindly gave me his code when I was considering a trip with car only

As a Club Voyage member I CAN (and do) get a much better price for a ferry crossing  from CMC but only out of season, (if you book via CMC the caravan goes free out of season so it’s a big saving) but if you are tied the school holidays the Club Voyage system offers very substantial savings of up to 30% 

I am still a CF member if anyone needs “anything” 

Andy

Experience is an awful teacher who ends up sending you simply horrifying bills

I was a looking at Sept and CMC without cabins and dogs was £760.  BF price with cabins and dogs was £790!  Not a voyage member at present.

1 minute ago, Durbanite said:

I was a looking at Sept and CMC without cabins and dogs was £760.  BF price with cabins and dogs was £790!  Not a voyage member at present.

Heck, I can cruise round the fijords for 7 days in luxury for that price.

• Like 1

Jaguar E-Pace 180D HSE R Dynamic - 2008 Swift Conqueror 540

"Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan Talk"

1 hour ago, Durbanite said:

Hi, when I looked earlier prices on the CMC site were about the same as direct with BF.

This is something that heappens from time to time, and clearing cookies often fixes that, but this year my quoted price from CMC for a June return Plymouth to Roscoff, with cabin going out and 4 site vouchers was £319.80. If you take of the cost of the vouchers thats £232 for the ferry.

Just found an old post I did on the CMC forum and it gives a good feel for the possible benefits;

Club ITX Fare v BF Voyager Discount

Hi All,

Following a post on another forum, where the poster offered the use of his BF Voyager code, I contacted him and he kindly gave me his code, to get a 10% discount on BF,so that I could compare prices.. I was considering a solo trip at Easter, this is not now going ahead but, whilst looking at prices for that period saw a price difference, for a trip at the same time with the van, between booking direct and via the club of over £400.

We have had a discussion over the last few days regarding the large savings that I have had when buying an ITX package.I did point out, as I have here in the past, that the Plymouth-Roscoff route does seem to be particularly good in this regard.
I did a comparison again yesterday, and posted it on the other forum, and I am now posting that here.

I have posted re these savings in the past and the main reason for doing so again is that the level of saving seems to fall into the 'its too good to be true' category and people may then dismiss it as being inaccurate.

The two quotes below, first is BF direct the second via the club,are for two adults ,car and caravan on BF Plymouth- Roscoff out June on a Thursday night and back July on a Sunday morning with inside two berth cabin. going out. Sadly I am unable to post the screen grab that I did on the other forum so its just the text..

The club price includes the cabin, you need to check as this is not always the case, and 4 site vouchers which cost £87.80. If you take off the price of the vouchers the ferry cost is £267.40.

This is a saving of £437.60.

Even if you did not use the vouchers you are still saving £349.80.

If you could get the 10% discount with Voyager Club the direct price is £634.50 so still a very large saving which may make this route viable for many who might otherwise not consider it.

BF DIRECT
Outbound sailing £325.OO 
Vehicle and passengers
Inside 2 berth cabin with ensuite facilities, bunk style beds x 1 £55.00 
Inbound sailing £325.OO 
Vehicle and passengers
Total £705.OO 

CLUB
Your holiday basket
Plymouth to Roscoff ferry (Brittany Ferries) Ship Name: Pont Aven
2 Adults
1 x BRIT 2 bunk ensuite - inside
Roscoff to Plymouth ferry (Brittany Ferries) Ship Name: Pont Aven
2 Adults
Overseas Site Night Vouchers -4 vouchers
Current package price
£355.20

The other poster was Andy, Mr P!

1 hour ago, Durbanite said:

Hi, which crossing?

Hi, just got a price for Portsmouth-Caen, usually the cheapest route, and it is for a 5mx1.8m car and a 7.3m van with 4 site vouchers as follows;

Portsmouth

03 Sep 20

14:45

Outbound

MONT ST MICHEL

Caen

03 Sep 20

21:30

Caen

27 Sep 20

08:30

Return

NORMANDIE

Portsmouth

27 Sep 20

13:15

Crossing: Deal available

Basket total: £252.80

If you take off the cost of the site vouchers the ferry cost is £165!

33 minutes ago, Allan Guest said:

Hi, just got a price for Portsmouth-Caen, usually the cheapest route, and it is for a 5mx1.8m car and a 7.3m van with 4 site vouchers as follows;

Portsmouth

03 Sep 20

14:45

Outbound

MONT ST MICHEL

Caen

03 Sep 20

21:30

Caen

27 Sep 20

08:30

Return

NORMANDIE

Portsmouth

27 Sep 20

13:15

Crossing: Deal available

Basket total: £252.80

If you take off the cost of the site vouchers the ferry cost is £165!

My quote was 2 -28/09/2020 for a twin axle with height 3m plus 3 dogs and a couple.  That was the price we normally pay for the St Malo crossing.  Last time we used the Portsmouth - Caen ferry in 2018 it was about £560 for the same combination

Hi, If you are looking at the St Malo route then you will be paying quite a bit more as its a more expensive route to start with.

Without checking I cant be sure but believe that twin axles cannot be booked online so maybe that, and the dogs , is skewing the price.

My first choice of route is Plymouth, but always look at the options, and I am sure that a St Malo crossing would never be viable due to the cost. 

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Durbanite said:

My quote was 2 -28/09/2020 for a twin axle with height 3m plus 3 dogs and a couple.  That was the price we normally pay for the St Malo crossing.  Last time we used the Portsmouth - Caen ferry in 2018 it was about £560 for the same combination

Hi, just looked and price for your dates, with my van details, and three dogs, is £521 to Caen.

Go next day and it’s £327.
Either day to St Malo is £673 so a premium of £350 to go via St Malo.

My wife says I enjoy the planning more than  the holiday and achieve it savings of this magnitude is well worth the time and effort.

Hope you, and we, can get away and at a great price.

Edited by Allan Guest
Add info

I've always found phoning the club the best idea. I give them the dates and they work out the best option for us. If we go ahead this year we are Portsmouth out and Cherbourg back both overnight sailings with a cabin 2 a and 2 c car and van at 3m high 12.5m long.

That worked out £650 ish. SWMBO doesn't sail very well and always feels ill so we have to have a cabin even on a day crossing so she can lie down. We found with 2 kids overnight was the most peaceful crossing as we get onboard shut the door and go to bed. Get woken up by the onboard entertainment, shower dressed quick coffee if I have time and off to the car plus we get a full days travel.

The ferry this year is more than the site for 2 weekend which annoys me. The tunnel and a drive is looking favourable if the costs keep rising.

1 hour ago, Jiffy176 said:

I've always found phoning the club the best idea.

Hi, I always phone as well, but after I have looked at the options, on the chance a new ‘deal’ may be available.

As you can see above moving the crossing one day saved £200 so I always ask for best price around my preferred dates.

12 hours ago, Allan Guest said:

Hi, just looked and price for your dates, with my van details, and three dogs, is £521 to Caen.

Go next day and it’s £327.
Either day to St Malo is £673 so a premium of £350 to go via St Malo.

My wife says I enjoy the planning more than  the holiday and achieve it savings of this magnitude is well worth the time and effort.

Hope you, and we, can get away and at a great price.

Although price is a factor the main point of my OP was the fact that the CMC website for making ferry bookings is very frustrating.  We only use the Portsmouth - Caen route preferring leaving at 1pm to arrive at 9pm and return leaving at 8am to arrive in Portsmouth at about 1pm however this is not an option at present as no 1pm ferry. 

Our caravan is 8.16m in length and 3m high however car is 4.8m in length so total length is under 13m however the Caravan Club add it up as car 5m and caravan 8.5m making it over 13m in length and probably add on an extra "charge" so price is escalated.  We are happy to pay the extra for the 3m height, just begrudge paying the extra for the non existent length.

I do not blame the CMC for this abnormality regarding lengths however BF are happy with the combined unit length at 12.9m as they have measured the combined unit at the docks previously when I used to book direct with them.  

The last time we took vouchers to get a discounted price, we ended up giving away the vouchers to another member on this forum.  The vouchers were no good to us as the camp sites were not on our route to La Rochelle and not on our route back in 2018.  No idea if they now have more sites, but if Bella Riva camp site included it would be helpful.

Hi durbanite, just posted a lengthy response on the CMC forum so wont repeat it.

Looking at your post above makes me wonder if you have done a live quote as there is no 1pm crossing and you mention that they 'probably add extras' which if you do a quote will be shown?

The saving you could achieve by using Caen rather than St Malo, which you mentioned first, and going a day later ,is over £500 so not using vouchers costing £80 is maybe not that big an issue in the scheme of things.

Hope we can get away and at a great price!

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, Allan Guest said:

Hi durbanite, just posted a lengthy response on the CMC forum so wont repeat it.

Looking at your post above makes me wonder if you have done a live quote as there is no 1pm crossing and you mention that they 'probably add extras' which if you do a quote will be shown?

The saving you could achieve by using Caen rather than St Malo, which you mentioned first, and going a day later ,is over £500 so not using vouchers costing £80 is maybe not that big an issue in the scheme of things.

Hope we can get away and at a great price!

My main "rant" is about using the CMC website for a ferry booking!  I am aware that there is no longer a 1pm crossing, but did mention that we used that crossing previously.  At the moment the CMC quote was for the 8am crossing both ways.  We used St Malo once and never again but thought I would mention it when comparing prices to the previous trip.  Apologies for the confusion. :)

As a BF Voyage Club member I get 30% off the fare so about £210 less the cost of joining if I only use it once.  I would still be quids in.  I will have another attempt at the CMC booking site, but it locks the caravan length in at 8.16m plus the 5m for the vehicle adding on another £25 or more.

Edited by Durbanite

BOOKING WITH CMC

Brittany Ferries: Outbound

Depart:

03 Sep 2020, 14:45, Portsmouth Arrive: 03 Sep 2020, 21:30, Caen Ship: MONT ST MICHEL

Pet in vehicle x 3

Brittany Ferries: Return

Depart:

28 Sep 2020, 08:30, Caen Arrive: 28 Sep 2020, 13:15, Portsmouth Ship: MONT ST MICHEL

Overseas Site Night Vouchers x 4

Deposit £77.56 Combined deal total £327.80

BOOKING DIRECT WITH BF

Portsmouth to Caen/Ouistreham

Thursday 3 • Sep 2020

14:45  21:30 (5 h 45 m)

Car/ MPV/ 4x4 5m X 1.83m

Caravan / Large Trailer 9m X 3m

Passengers:

2 Adult(S)

Pet(s):

3 Pet(S)

Price  £740

Note- just seen you have posted so may have crossed in the ether!

Just done another quote using exactly the same details and crossings for dates 02 - 30/09/2020.  CMC came to £874.60.    BF as a non member was £796 with Flexi tickets.  On both crossing the cheapest 2 berth cabins plus the 3 dogs. 

It seems that although cost to join BF Voyage is £150 my savings are £222 as the discount only applies to us for the crossing and not cabins or dogs.  It was £370 both ways for the Flexi ticket.  The only difference is that I was able to input the caravan at 8m instead of 8.16m however still doesn't make a difference of nearly £80?

I will phone the CMC to see if they can better the price as maybe I am doing something wrong?

BTW if I remove the vouchers the price for the CMC and BF are exactly the same????  Seems it is a better option to join the Club Voyage as get a free breakfast and 10% discount buying anything else on board.

Posted (edited)

A lot will depend on which crossing you are taking. Portsmouth to St Male has always been the most expensive by a huge margin, it’s not a lot less than doing Portsmouth to Santander. Look at the other crossings, you might be surprised at the savings you can make.

My sailing is Poole Cherbourg out on 27 August returning  17 Sept

5m car, 7,5m caravan And two adults (no cabin as daytime sailings each way. (Don’t forget you can “camp” at Poole port overnight if travelling in either direction, We frequently do so for the outbound sailing that departs at 08:30)

My total cost is £230 (because the caravan goes free)  Does a caravan go free in the St Male sailing??

We sometimes use Portsmouth to Caen overnight. It’s the Etratatty but I drive on board, I go to my cabin and go to sleep, I wake up, go to my car and drive off so I don’t care that the ship is basic ‘cos I am asleep anyway! 

Andy

Edited by Mr Plodd

Experience is an awful teacher who ends up sending you simply horrifying bills

10 hours ago, Durbanite said:

I will phone the CMC to see if they can better the price as maybe I am doing something wrong?

Hi, that’s probably a good idea as I cannot see how I am getting such markedly different prices however, the dates you state in the last post are different, you did not mention cabins before and you have not said which route, so maybe that’s a factor.

Good luck.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Morning Durbanite, 

Due to pesky seagull activity up early so looked at prices on BF and CMC.

I looked at Portsmouth-Caen for the exact dates given, 2/9-30/9 for your outfit size and 3 dogs, and, as these dates don't have an afternoon out morning back, which seems to be the cheapest combination, looked at crossings on 1/9-29/9.

As all crossings are daytime have not priced cabins.

On BF the prices are £740 and £730 respectively.

With CMC the prices are £665, so saving £75 if you use the site vouchers, but if you travel on the earlier date the price is £315 so even if you did not use the vouchers a saving of £425 and, if you did, you save over £500.

So as for before a very great disparity from the figures you are getting and as you say may be a good idea to call the travel service but, at the moment, the online booking seems to be working OK.

One final point, some years ago I phoned to book having checked online and was told I could not book the combination that I wanted, it was two trips but using the outbound of one with the inbound of the other, so simply said thanks and then booked it online.

Edited by Allan Guest
errors

OH spoke with SIL last night and mentioned that we are considering visiting France in Sept.  SIL then proceeded to put the fear of God into OH and consequently we will not be going in Sept.  Why do other people have to interfere in your life?  At the moment it seems unlikely we will ever get to France or Spain again!   :angry:

Durbanite,  can the two ladies manage the dogs at home while you go away?

10 minutes ago, moorgate said:

Durbanite,  can the two ladies manage the dogs at home while you go away?

LOL!  :lol: