On 16/05/2020 at 19:28, Borussia 1900 said:

Cycling will not make you slim, fact!!!

Cycling will make you fit, fact!!!

I can't cycle any more, but use a treadmill.  Hardly ever eat processed food.  I class sausages as processed food.  I avoid sugar, don't smoke and have about 2 beers a week even when on holiday.  We prefer cooking fresh veg and making our own bread.  Normally I am about 13kg over weight,  but this year I am 20kg over weight probably due to a lot of inactivity.

On 16/05/2020 at 20:33, Cherokee2015 said:

Improved  cycle lanes would be good for starters, the ones round here are terrible, stop and start at random and not on commuter routes. 

What is the point in  improving cycle lanes when many cyclists still prefer to ride on a busy A road when the cycle path is more than adequate?

All but the thickest people know the health risks associated with obesity. And for anyone with normal brain capacity it’s an entirely self inflicted condition. Much like smoking. Which people still do.

It’s an impossible ask for the government to intervene when people have so little regard for themselves, if you know something’s  likely to inhibit your lifestyle and lead to an early and painful death, but are happy to carry on regardless, how is anything you are told going to change things?

Society picks up the bill for treating people’s self indulgences. 

I don't think anyone chooses to be fat.  Maybe their parents fed them on junk and now they are hooked.  Fat people are always struggling to lose weight. government can certainly incentivise people to eat better by taxing sugar and introducing better food labelling.  Children can receiveve better dietary advice at school and parents can be rewarded for doing the right thing for their children.

3 hours ago, Durbanite said:

What is the point in  improving cycle lanes when many cyclists still prefer to ride on a busy A road when the cycle path is more than adequate?

Our cycle paths are in the roads and like I say just stop suddenly leaving you in the middle of traffic 😮

Janet and Jason xxx
Jeep Cherokee Limited 2. 0CRD (2015) towing a 2016 Swift Challenger 530 Alde

26 minutes ago, Cherokee2015 said:

Our cycle paths are in the roads and like I say just stop suddenly leaving you in the middle of traffic 😮

I often use this one as an example of why I don't use cycle lanes,  in reality they are appalling either starting somewhere useless, or ended in the middle of a junction or being littered with obstacles.

Screenshot 2020-05-17 at 16.18.58.png

2010 Lunar Delta Ti pulled by a 2012 Volvo XC60 D3 AWD remapped to 210bhp & 501Nm

Obstructed cycle ways is an all too common problem - but I still use them whenever possible.

image.png

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

Re fat - unfortunately it has now reached the point where being heavily overweight is the new "Normal" so when they see someone with a healthy weight, they regard them as undernourished. I have been accused of being ill because my bmi is in the middle of the healthy range.

All too often when you ask someone what they weigh they have no idea because they either never look have no means of measuring themselves.

Re cycle lanes - There are 2 editions of a book called "(bad language removed) cycle lanes" full of examples of the two posts above. There could be a 3rd and more, but I expect the author just gave up. I use them when they are less dangerous than the road, but sadly that is all too often not the case.

On 16/05/2020 at 18:16, bessacarr425 said:

Yes he is right..  Fortunately he has looked after his health by taking regular exercise such as playing tennis jogging and cycling.   

The warning is glaringly obvious, the sad alternative is that Dianne Abbot woman:D:D

is this a health post, or a political one? There are plenty of examples of politicians of ALL parties who are badly overweight.

1 hour ago, Gordon said:

Obstructed cycle ways is an all too common problem - but I still use them whenever possible.

image.png

That's an example of bad planning, parking restrictions are needed to make those cycle lanes effective - even if the vehicles didn't park on the footpath they'd still be obstructing the cycle lane.

2015 VW Touareg 3. 0 V6 TDI + 2013 Lunar Clubman ES

I don't think anyone chooses to be fat.  Maybe their parents fed them on junk and now they are hooked.  Fat people are always struggling to lose weight. government can certainly incentivise people to eat better by taxing sugar and introducing better food labelling.  Children can receive better dietary advice at school and parents can be rewarded for doing the right 

4 hours ago, Fireman Iain said:

It’s an impossible ask for the government to intervene when people have so little regard for themselves, if you know something’s  likely to inhibit your lifestyle and lead to an early and painful death, but are happy to carry on regardless, how is anything you are told going to change things?

An ex work colleague of mine was exactly as you describe. Around 6'2" tall and weighed in at 19-20 stones. He was tested and eventually diagnosed with diabetes, (the kind you can control with diet, I'm sure that somebody will be along to tell me which type of diabetes that is). His doctor frightened the life out of him by telling him all the problems he could encounter if he went on to develop full blown diabetes, (insulin injecting). He went on a strict diet and lost around 4 stones. He looked great and a lot of people he only met occasionally via work commented on how well he was looking. However, he gradually went back to his old ways, sugary drinks, biscuits, fried fast food etc, and within another year he had put all of the weight back on plus an extra stone or so. He eventually went on to develop insulin injecting diabetes, and, as soon as he started injecting, it was almost as if he took that to be a licence to eat and drink anything he wanted. He retired, and eventually rang me to ask for another colleagues phone number. He then told me that he'd had a quadruple bypass, had both legs amputated and had gone totally blind. He sadly died 6 months later.

2014 SsangYong Rexton W towing a 2017 Sprite Major 4EB. (After June 9th).

As a type 2 diabetic, which can be controlled by diet and/or medication, it amazes me how many diabetics take utter liberties with their diet! I have met nothing but support and understanding from non-diabetics, only other diabetics seem to lack understanding!

I think that a major issue these days is that people expect “The Health Service” to be able to cure/control ALL types of illness. Indeed I have a pal whose wife is type 2, she relies solely on medication, rather than diet, to control it. She eats a really rubbish diet, but of course, as she keeps telling us, it’s only diabetes so nothing serious :unsure:

Andy

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

18 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

I think that a major issue these days is that people expect “The Health Service” to be able to cure/control ALL types of illness. Indeed I have a pal whose wife is type 2, she relies solely on medication, rather than diet, to control it. She eats a really rubbish diet, but of course, as she keeps telling us, it’s only diabetes so nothing serious :unsure:

Andy

There's a large number of life-shortening conditions where the consultant can only say "there's nothing more we can do"

21 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

Andy

Too true, there is nothing "only" about uncontrolled diabetes! The risks around uncontrolled diabetes are far worse than Covid 19. However, for the vast majority of sufferers a combination of diet and medication, with monitoring can give full control, reducing the risks to negligible.

On 16/05/2020 at 18:36, oldboy said:

I agree and disagree with some of the ideas, but  tax on FOOD, No way "One is to tax sugary drinks and food more heavily". 

Why not tax the raw ingredient;-    Sugar? That way anyone who uses any type of sugar as an ingredient in anything would be encouraged to use less of it.

23 hours ago, Ched said:

BMI is just a very simple way for anyone to get an idea if they are within a healthy weight range It's not a perfect system at all but it just needs scales and a tape measure.

Muscle is heavier than fat per cubic cm!!!!

Having spent most of my working life in manual work I have a "muscular frame" according to my doctor my B.M.I. is 34, classed as morbidly obese, but because I am not "fat" I don't have much to worry about. At my last medical check I was told that I didn't drink enough alcohol because my liver function was better than perfect. :)

Retirement, the best job I've ever had. The only problem is, I don't get a day off.       I'm not paranoid, they ARE out to get me.

You know you're an intellectual when you hear The William Tell Overture and you don't think of the Lone Ranger.

12 minutes ago, Flat_at said:

Why not tax the raw ingredient;-    Sugar? That way anyone who uses any type of sugar as an ingredient in anything would be encouraged to use less of it.

Having spent most of my working life in manual work I have a "muscular frame" according to my doctor my B.M.I. is 34, classed as morbidly obese, but because I am not "fat" I don't have much to worry about. At my last medical check I was told that I didn't drink enough alcohol because my liver function was better than perfect. :)

Are you seriously saying you were told to drink more alcohol by a medical professional 

22 minutes ago, Flat_at said:

my liver function was better than perfect. :)

That's a fantasy definition then.

11 minutes ago, stephendutton63 said:

Are you seriously saying you were told to drink more alcohol by a medical professional 

Yes :P. I don't though.

2 minutes ago, Black Grouse said:

That's a fantasy definition then.

"Better than perfect". That's what the Doctor said to me.

Retirement, the best job I've ever had. The only problem is, I don't get a day off.       I'm not paranoid, they ARE out to get me.

You know you're an intellectual when you hear The William Tell Overture and you don't think of the Lone Ranger.

8 minutes ago, Flat_at said:

That's what the Doctor said to me.

Maybe he was a majority shareholder in the local brewery. :blink:

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

10 hours ago, Stevan said:

Refusing to accept that a system of measurement is, at best, only a rule of thumb and treating it as something precise is "sticking your head in the sand"! Forsaking accuracy and a few of the facts just so you can have a simple rule is hardly a sound approach to real life!

Surely BMI is just the same as the “85% rule” for towing.

It’s not perfect, but as a simple metric - it does the job.

I work in the food industry, developing new products to end up in both restaurants and on supermarket shelves. The hoops you have to go through with regards to salt, sugar and fat is incredible.

At some point, people will have to start taking responsibility for themselves - we cannot rely on business and the state.

As for cycling, it’s rarely been any good for losing “fatty” weight unless you are pushing hard. Running is best for me and I’ve both cycled 300km in a day and run a marathon - so have pretty good experience of both.

16 hours ago, Fireman Iain said:

All but the thickest people know the health risks associated with obesity. And for anyone with normal brain capacity it’s an entirely self inflicted condition. Much like smoking. Which people still do.

some medical conditions cause some people to put on weight, When I was in my 40's I had a doctor with the same viewpoint as yourself. I kept telling him that I was gaining weight while trying to diet. It took a long time for him to diagnose the problem and by that time I was really ill and 6 stone overweight, it was hypothyroidism. BTW I did loose the excess weight but it did take some time and now it is still a real battle to keep the weight down

12 hours ago, Bodster said:

Surely BMI is just the same as the “85% rule” for towing.

Yes, but I was deliberately avoiding that analogy because both involve believing that the absence of simple alternatives turns something pretty rubbish into something good!

31 minutes ago, Stevan said:

Yes, but I was deliberately avoiding that analogy because both involve believing that the absence of simple alternatives turns something pretty rubbish into something good!

Significantly large numbers of the UK population are unhealthily overweight - how you going to fix it?

Around here we have separate cycle roads at side of the road only ever seen 2 cyclists using them as I drive by.

Regards, David
Ford Kuga ST line 2ltr. Diesel 2017,  Bailey Pursuit 11 400/2 2018, Emove em303 motor mover, Hyundai 1000i Generator.