VW tiguan tow a big twin?

14 hours ago, yorkyguy said:

The VW is a big V6 with the resulting modest fuel economy. The new 2ltr twin turbo Volvo Powerpulse puts out 235 BHP which is comparable with the Touareg/Amarok vehicles. 

There is way way more to it than having a comparable maximum peak  "power" value, and saving a bit on fuel.

• Like 1

We have an xc60 2018 D4 gross weight 2465kg and it tows our Crusader T/A easy.

I,m a relative newbie although i have towed a large boat before and towing with the Volvo is a doddle.

On 15/05/2020 at 21:16, mprcomp said:

We are still looking for that elusive tow car at present. So see a VW tiguan but my worry is their Kerb is 1711 so not very heavy. Obviously when we tow with it we would have 5 people in a boot full to the rafters which would add a bit of weight.

When working out the ideal weight for a tow car for a given weight of caravan, I always understood that it was the kerb weight of the vehicle which was used as a guide along with the manufacturers recommendation  which were taken into consideration.  The payload of the vehicle is a separate issue, so adding the weight of wife, kids, awning etc. is not really the way to go.  I'm not one to insist on the 80% guide, but think that my max. would be 100% ratio.   What do others think?

John.

Never ask a man if he comes from Yorkshire. If he does, he'll tell you. If he doesn't, why humiliate him?

It is true that as far as the guidelines go the loading should be ignored but in reality if you are loading the towing car near its limit it does make a difference. The car has to be heavy enough to control the caravan in an emergency so for me 95% would be the limit. There is a considerable difference though between the best and worst tow cars so if you have not been able to try a similar models towing you should err on the side of caution. 100% may be acceptable with the very best tow cars but yours probably is not one of them.

So many factors affect the true towing performance that it is difficult to give generalised rules that will adequately apply to all cases - other than of course the actual legal limitations. I do think the cc 85% rule is conservative but recognise why they take that stance for inexperienced towers.

My previous tow car was an Audi S4 Avant which had a kerb weight of 1750kg but Audi quoted a max. braked towing weight of 2100kg which works out at over 120%. I towed a 1900kg caravan (= 108.6%). But weight is not the only factor. In this case it was a twin axle van and the Audi has a fairly long wheelbase both of which aid stability. Coupled to the more than adequate power of the car and sensible distribution of weight in car and caravan the whole rig towed really well and was very stable never giving me any problems.

If YOU are not sure, go conservative - better to be safe than sorry.

Life is not a rehearsal . . .:)

Porsche Cayenne S Diesel & Knaus StarClass 695. Previously Audi S4 Avant & Elddis Super Sirocco

1 hour ago, Leedslad said:

I'm not one to insist on the 80% guide, but think that my max. would be 100% ratio.   What do others think?

John.

I don't have a max. The problem with a towing caravan is the wind. The same caravan with more weight tows much better than when it's empty.

Our current caravan has an MPTLM of 1450 and it's less than 100% but no idea how much less. If Bailey had offered us an upgrade to 1800kg I would have bought it and starting to put all the heavy stuff in the caravan.

• Like 1

What about a Ssangyong Turismo it has an unusual seating of 2 2 3 which may work for you. If not what about what I would deem the best choice of you can get over the image but a transit custom. Even in short wheel base it's got a massive boot the lwb model which isnt that much bigger than some 4x4 is stunning I've put two big prams next to each other in there easily without folding them down. Weight wise they are over 2 ton and in manuals can pull over 2 ton hp can be low as most have 130hp but that's fine they are designed to work. As for driving all commercial van's are imo very nice to drive just need reversing cameras to help with the length IMO. 

24 minutes ago, Edde said:

What about a Ssangyong Turismo it has an unusual seating of 2 2 3 which may work for you. If not what about what I would deem the best choice of you can get over the image but a transit custom. Even in short wheel base it's got a massive boot the lwb model which isnt that much bigger than some 4x4 is stunning I've put two big prams next to each other in there easily without folding them down. Weight wise they are over 2 ton and in manuals can pull over 2 ton hp can be low as most have 130hp but that's fine they are designed to work. As for driving all commercial van's are imo very nice to drive just need reversing cameras to help with the length IMO. 

But subject to lower speed limits than cars.

2015 VW Touareg 3. 0 V6 TDI + 2013 Lunar Clubman ES

On 16/05/2020 at 15:50, montesa said:

fwiw ....

Tiguan sounds very much on the small side physically for 2 adults + 3 growing kids + gear + all the Caravan surplus gear (to stay within modest payload) = bigger car me thinks.

M

there's a vital point here, missed everywhere else - growing kids. They might fit now, but how long do you normally keep vehicles? How old are the children? Remember the child seat regulations for any which are under 12.  Can you get any needed seats in and still have room for older kids, or kids who will be older during your ownership of the vehicle?

I would have thought the back of a Tiguan a bit tight, they are not huge. 

Mercedes E350 CDi AMG Cabriolet, Lunar Freelander 640EW Twin Axle @1700kg

********* Naughty Step Aficionado And Grand Collector Of Naughty Points *********

8 hours ago, Black Grouse said:

But subject to lower speed limits than cars.

Good point however if you go for a 8 seat minibus ie transit custom then they are defined as m1 (cars) so normal speed limits apply. A double cab with the partition between occupants would be subject to the lower limits. 

Crazy to think a Ford  Ranger has a lower legal limit than a 8 seat minibus on a dual carriageway.

• 4 weeks later...
On 16/05/2020 at 16:48, Black Grouse said:

The Touareg was voted most reliable luxury SUV (can't remember by whom) but like all luxury SUVs individual faults are expensive - having had a 2011 Hyundai Santa Fe and now got a 2016 VW Touareg, the Touareg is way better in every aspect apart from value for money where the Santa Fe is almost impossible to beat.

3 minutes ago, Jim Thomson said:

I agree.  I've just moved from a Kia Sorento Titan (superb car) to a 2019, 286bhp, 3.0d Touareg.  It's like night and day.  The Touareg's power is seriously  greater, and it's an absolute hoot to drive.  It's like a sports car on steroids.  Everything screams quality, and the average MPG (solo so far) yesterday was 39 for a 41 mile journey.  The initial cost can be a deal breaker, but still cheaper than an Audi, Mercedes or Volvo.

Nice car but the OP had a budget of £14k

Duncan

61 Santa Fe & 2011 Bailey Olympus 624

I ran a 2018 Tiguan r-line and towed a 1550kg van it was awful DSG never knew which gear to be in, suspension was far to firm and just generally felt that it wasn’t really up to the job, at the end of the day it’s just a jacked up golf. 

• I agree completely 1

2019 Adria Alpina Colorado With E&P Pulled by 2019 VW Amarok Highline

1 hour ago, Mark&Penny14 said:

I ran a 2018 Tiguan r-line and towed a 1550kg van it was awful DSG never knew which gear to be in, suspension was far to firm and just generally felt that it wasn’t really up to the job, at the end of the day it’s just a jacked up golf. 

I didn’t think much of our Tiguan either, awful car.

SsangYong has already been mentioned but have a look at the 2.2 Rexton W as standard 5 seater with a huge luggage capacity or 7 seater minimal luggage space, selectable 4 wheel drive and will tow up to 3000Kg and within your budget.

for example .......

https://www.cargurus.co.uk/Cars/l-Used-Ssangyong-Rexton-W-d2709#listing=143199849

I have the 2017 5 seat Auto version that will pull 3500Kg and I love it  :)

Edited by Robbido

You can see what I tow and what with, from my signature.  I have had this Touareg for 5 years, from new - having previously had another one.  Best tow car I have had - and I say that having owned 4 Discos in the past. I agree with Jim Thomson - serious power and reasonable fuel economy for such a large vehicle.  My version is the Escape, which was discontinued in 2016 - but has low ratio box, diff locks, raised and stiffened suspension etc - a serious off-road vehicle which has come into its own now and again on muddy CLs! The max weight of the Knaus is 2000kg and the Treg tows it almost as if it isn't there!

In terms of reliability, this is where the VW scores over the Disco, in my experience.  Touch-wood - I have had just one issue with it and that was a faulty Nox sensor which cost just under £500 to replace. Sadly, the Discos were nowhere near so reliable.

It will seat 3 adults comfortably in the back but my rear seats are permanently down.  Whilst bigger than the Tiguan, the boot isn't that massive - certainly nothing like the Disco, but  it's adequate.

They are heavy on tyres - but so are most large SUVs.  The originals were changed at 25k, but the current BFG All Terrains seem to be doing better.

Mine has only done 44k miles - so there are some out there with reasonable mileage on them and for the reason that the Escape is no longer available from new, I shan't be parting with it anytime soon.

VW Touareg Escape towing a 2018 Knaus Starclass 695

Personally I would love a Touareg but a skimpy caravan payload means I have to stuff a lot of big heavy stuff in the car, and a Disco 4 copes well with that. In terms of reliability I have only had one fault in the nearly 9 years that I've owned my D4, and that didn't stop me driving it, and was covered by extended warranty.

Land Rover on SORN so not towing anything for a while

18 hours ago, Mark&Penny14 said:

That's a bit harsh, I have no complaints with my Tiguan, DSG performs just as my Mazda TC except for having 7 speeds instead of 6.

Only negative i have is the Tiguan does not tow as stable as the two CX-5's i had, and the engine isn't as good, but i wont be rushing to change it...

We bought a Tiguan 4Motion DSG 150BHP December. We have only towed for 1 trip so far because of Covid. We tow 1350Kg. After the 2.4L Volvo V70 which it replaced this car has a lot less umph. However its very stable - as stable as the V70 was so I'm pleased with almost everything about the car and I think it would be good for a bit more caravan weight - perhaps around 1600Kg.

A big twin axle caravan? Weighing 1600 - 1800Kg?  Not really.

Ern

We have a 2012 Tiguan 4Motion DSG and tow a 1500kg caravan. Boot space is a bit small but I like everything else about it. We have towed dozens of times with it in the UK and France. In the last two years we did 4 trips down through France and around Spain and Portugal for 2 months at a time.  All was good until the last trip when in southern Spain, whilst not towing, the rear differential broke.  2 weeks and 5000 euros later we continued our trip around Spain and back through France to the UK.  I don't know if this was just bad luck or whether all the towing was just too much for it!  We may look at a Kia Sorento for our next tow car but I would like to get a bit more use out of the Tiguan having paid so much to get it fixed.