VW tiguan tow a big twin?

We are still looking for that elusive tow car at present. So see a VW tiguan but my worry is their Kerb is 1711 so not very heavy. Obviously when we tow with it we would have 5 people in a boot full to the rafters which would add a bit of weight.

We currently only have a single axle 1550KG but would ideally like a twin with a fixed bed and for non Alde talking 1600KG.

Basically I want a reasonably reliable tow car that will fit in 5 people so needs wide back seat setup. Budget will be 13 to 14K.  Currently car a 59 plate Volvo XC90 but starting to get a bit expensive to maintain. If anyone has any other good suggestions I have not thought about happy to hear them. 

I would like a Volvo XC60 15 plate sort of age but nothing available near me and doesn't look likely any time soon. 

Posted (edited)

Load it sensibly and keep aware when driving and you’ll be fine. From memory some VW’s that don’t have a factory fitted tow bar are supposed to have a cooling upgrade if fitted with an aftermarket tow bar after. I don’t know which ones it applied to.

We have a 2018 Sprite Quattro twin axle (1624kgs MTPLM) and towed it with a 2016 BMW520D @ 1725kgs and now a 2018 Volvo V90 @ 1825kgs with no issues.

Edited by GaryB1969
  • Like 1

2018 Volvo V90 and 2018 Swift Sprite Quattro EB

Thank you. We fancy a Sprite FB next I think as the ones with Alde will be too heavy for all but he heavy cars.

The only thing I wanted was the ability to fit three in the back so would like to see one in the flesh with the kids which maybe a wait till start of June job I think. 

We bought ours new in 2018 and Alde wasn’t an option on the Sprite range. That was a pity as the only disappointment with it is poor warm air distribution to the rear bedroom. Other than that they are very nice and certainly no longer a budget model.

Yes I think Swift ditched the 6FB edition they had with Alde(625) and changed to the L shaped lounge which is nice but we have three children so that model means set up two beds each night

• Like 1

Don't expect a great deal of boot space in a Tiguan. That's why we went for the Passat. 

• I agree completely 1

Lunar Solaris 1 Limited Edition Hopefully Behind A

BMW 520D MSport Touring. ...

***** Jack of all Trades. ... Master of None *****

52 minutes ago, mprcomp said:

We are still looking for that elusive tow car at present. So see a VW tiguan but my worry is their Kerb is 1711 so not very heavy. Obviously when we tow with it we would have 5 people in a boot full to the rafters which would add a bit of weight.

We currently only have a single axle 1550KG but would ideally like a twin with a fixed bed and for non Alde talking 1600KG.

Basically I want a reasonably reliable tow car that will fit in 5 people so needs wide back seat setup. Budget will be 13 to 14K.  Currently car a 59 plate Volvo XC90 but starting to get a bit expensive to maintain. If anyone has any other good suggestions I have not thought about happy to hear them. 

I would like a Volvo XC60 15 plate sort of age but nothing available near me and doesn't look likely any time soon. 

Hyundai Santa Fe and Kia Sorento are probably the best value in larger SUVs - otherwise a VW Touareg would do the job with ease.

2015 VW Touareg 3. 0 V6 TDI + 2013 Lunar Clubman ES

Our 2018 Tiguan was a bit of a squeeze for 3 in the back, wouldn’t contemplate loading it to the gunnels and towing a TA, ours struggled to pull itself along, ghastly car, got shot of it as soon as we could. The 2014 Sorento that preceded it was a far superior car. Maybe didn’t have the ‘toys’that the VW had (most of which we turned off) but the Sorento  towed our 1900kg Swift with no bother, economically and comfortably. The VW nowhere near as comfortable, the DSG box simply horrible, clunky, jerky and rattly. Had a good radio though.....

Agreed about the Touareg, but don't overlook the Skoda Kodiaq.

• Like 1

2018 Passat B8 Estate 150GT TDi150 towing a 2018 Bailey Unicorn S4 Seville

Another option could be a 2014 onwards BMW 530D Touring (F11J which has bags of space for 5, a large luggage area, more power than you will ever need, self levelling rear suspension, automatic as standard and a kerb wait of @1875kg. A great car for towing as I have just said goodbye to mine as I want to tow a heavier caravan than it was suited for. Good luck with your choice 👍

2020 Swift Eccles 650 towed by Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 4.4

"What doesn't kill you only makes you stronger!"

We towed our 1600kg Swift with an E61 BMW 520d Touring.

The brochure said it had a kerb weight of 1695, off the transported it weighed 1740kg, and was a great towcar.

Loads if space and a big boot, and room for 5 adults across the back seat.

So a 5 Series BMW would do the job.

Jaguar E-Pace 180D HSE R Dynamic - 2008 Swift Conqueror 540

"Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan Talk"

8 minutes ago, Grandpa Steve said:

We towed our 1600kg Swift with an E61 BMW 520d Touring.

Loads if space and a big boot, and room for 5 adults across the back seat.

So a 5 Series BMW would do the job.

Surely not????

• Haha 2

Hi, we used to tow a Olympus 624 with a Hyundai Tucson 4wd .

car was the 160bhp version and to be honest it towed fine.

Just don’t think you’ll be racing people away from the lights.

We nov have a 66 plate Santa Fe ( our fifth Santa Fe) definitely better .

For your budget you would probably get a Santa Fe/Kia Sorrento.

Ive only ever looked briefly inside a Tiguan but I think it would be a squeeze for five people and their luggage.

Dont rule out a large estate car as there a few with a reasonable kerb weight about.

Duncan

61 Santa Fe & 2011 Bailey Olympus 624

I own a Tiguan and to me its not a 5 seat unless its 3 small children in the back.  Nothing wrong with the power or torque if you get the correct model, and zero issues with the DSG.

I have the 190ps disel 4motion at a kerbweight of 1755kg, the weight depends on the model and extras, the 240ps for example weighs over 1800kg for the Tiguan.

I would be looking at the Allspace  which is longer than the Tiguan with more boot space if you don't use the 3 row seats.

I tow 1700kg with my SWB Tiguan....

30 minutes ago, DUNCAN123 said:

Dont rule out a large estate car as there a few with a reasonable kerb weight about.

Duncan

Yep, 1825kgs. Only gripe is slightly soft rear suspension.

68C5E9AC-F063-4226-8E74-884523B1CC7F.jpeg

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Woodentop said:

Agreed about the Touareg, but don't overlook the Skoda Kodiaq.

Unlikely to get a Kodiaq within budget of £14-£15K

Our Honda CRV 2.2 diesel manual series IV and "kerbweight" of 1775kg, tows 1800kg with ease and I keep recommending them.  But with two adults, a small dog and quite a bit of caravan "stuff" the car is around the gross vehicle weight of 2200kg.

"With 5 people and a boot full to the rafters" you could easily be over the max permitted vehicle weight.

Whatever you buy, you should check out the gross vehicle weight and the gross train weight!

fwiw ....

Tiguan sounds very much on the small side physically for 2 adults + 3 growing kids + gear + all the Caravan surplus gear (to stay within modest payload) = bigger car me thinks.

M

17 hours ago, Black Grouse said:

Hyundai Santa Fe and Kia Sorento are probably the best value in larger SUVs - otherwise a VW Touareg would do the job with ease.

I really like the look of the Touareg can pick up a 12 plate 40K for 16K but that seems a canny bit of money for an 8 year old car. Also not sure about reliability on them as this is why XC90 is going. 

For VFM can't beat a truck and it'll tow anything-tons of room, tons of towing capacity and loadspace especially if you get a canopy-over the moon with our Navara, and mpg is amazing-30 towing and 38-40 on a good run. 

52 minutes ago, mprcomp said:

I really like the look of the Touareg can pick up a 12 plate 40K for 16K but that seems a canny bit of money for an 8 year old car. Also not sure about reliability on them as this is why XC90 is going. 

The Touareg was voted most reliable luxury SUV (can't remember by whom) but like all luxury SUVs individual faults are expensive - having had a 2011 Hyundai Santa Fe and now got a 2016 VW Touareg, the Touareg is way better in every aspect apart from value for money where the Santa Fe is almost impossible to beat.

Whilst walking dogs, noticed a local dealer has a 61 plate Touareg for just under 10k.Just over 100k miles though.Even got a glass roof! 

10 minutes ago, Dobloseven said:

Whilst walking dogs, noticed a local dealer has a 61 plate Touareg for just under 10k.Just over 100k miles though.Even got a glass roof! 

About 90% of Touaregs have a panoramic sunroof as standard - it was optional on the base model like mine.

We had three XC60s and currently have a 19 plate XC90 ( a total of 8 Volvos over the years) which towed a Swift Challenger 580 last year.  It did this with consummate ease! We now have a  bigger van but not towed it yet. Do look at the weight calcs carefully. Have you considered a later XC90.? The VW is a big V6 with the resulting modest fuel economy. The new 2ltr twin turbo Volvo Powerpulse puts out 235 BHP which is comparable with the Touareg/Amarok vehicles. My mate has a Touraeg and I wouldn't swap him - actually he wants my XC90 :rolleyes:

When you say you will have five people on board and the car loaded to the rafters this should help the towing ratio, but a bit more kerb weight would help. Do be careful you are not overloading the car or the back axle whatever you settle for.

Five adults could weigh around 450 to 500 kg and on top you will have 80 kg or more on the tow ball, so in many cases a heavy load could be just too much. Possibly looking for a model with a good load capacity will be needed.