635mwd

Taking van out of storage during the restrictions

Posted (edited)

Evening all . My storage site fees are due and the storage site has texted to confirm they are open Monday and Friday. So I was going to call in and settle the fees for the year.  Whilst there was contemplating taking the van home it fits on the drive  ( we are just over a mile away) as it hasn’t moved since last year .  That would give me the opportunity to spend some time cleaning etc. ( I’ve run out of things to do in the house). Given the current restrictions am I being reasonable?

Edited by 635mwd
Update title

As travel no longer has to be essential in England, assuming that you are in England, then why not?

Why not?

Strictly speaking, the journey itself is not correct as it is not for exercise, work or shopping - but you will be getting some exercise when you start polishing the van, so I'd say go ahead.

11 minutes ago, Easy T said:

As travel no longer has to be essential in England, assuming that you are in England, then why not?

Hi easy, Interesting as my understanding is that  travel is still linked to the reasons why you can be outside as HMG website says;

The reasons you may leave home include:

for work, where you cannot work from home

going to shops that are permitted to be open - to get things like food and medicine

to exercise or spend time outdoors

any medical need, including to donate blood, avoid injury or illness, escape risk of harm, or to provide care or to help a vulnerable person

I think in areas like Cornwall the fear is that people using the exercise/spend time outdoors reason will make a day of it and 'come on down' however, as you cannot stay overnight ,towing a van may attract attention and may not be viewed as being in accordance with the guidance.

If there was a genuine need to move it you may be OK but just doing so because you want to clean it??

For the distance of just over 1 miles I can't see any problem

33 minutes ago, Easy T said:

As posted on the "Coronavirus" thread earlier. The amendments that came into effect today in England.

Health-Protection-Regulations-Amendments-England-changes-130520 (1).pdf

Thanks for the comments I’m in good old County Durham. I’ll give it some thought. No rush it would just give me something to do!

My van is in storage and I have a service booked in July offsite, but I won't be pulling the van out so will have to cancel.

55 minutes ago, onewheelonmywagon said:

My van is in storage and I have a service booked in July offsite, but I won't be pulling the van out so will have to cancel.

My van's service was booked for late April but was postponed. The dealer phoned me today and re-booked it for late June.

Yes I’m in the same situation. Year two service was booked for April no contact yet from dealer for a new date  but I have at the moment the 4 month extension .

What is the situation with storage sites being open? I store mine at a Cassoa site and that has been closed except for emergencies since 25th March, apparently on advice from Cassoa. I also see CMC has closed their storage sites.

Yet from discussion here others are obviously open.

Posted (edited)

It's down to the site - but as the guidance suggests, only go out for essential journeys and I've not noticed that caravan sites or storage facilities are one of the listed places that have been allowed to open or that are considered essential.

So AFAIK the advice is that they are closed and should remain so until the official advice is for them to open and those who are either open or those who are going to their vans are breaching the advice (even if they do feel that they are a special case).

Edited by matelodave
  • Like 1
  • I disagree 1

Mine's been open, but very quiet.  There's a mobile service chap based on site, and even he has been closed - he normally has a 6-week backlog.

Just to give an update been along today and paid my storage fees. Site is only open 2 days and people visiting are being discouraged unless paying fees etc. Did however check the van over and it’s standing OK not as filthy as previous years.  So decided to leave it where it is for now.

I do not see any problem, although there might be a technical breaking of the rules. Assuming you can get in and out of the storage area without being up close top anyone then there should be no risk to you or anyone else. Personally I would do it but that is just an opinion.

I wonder where you would stand if your paid for storage period had come to an end and you didn't want to renew? Would you be able to remove your van? If the site was closed would you be liable for further fees if you didn't? Would a request by the site to remove your van be a just reason for the journey to remove it?

Current circumstances throw up all sorts of conundrums eh?

Personally I agree with Wildwood if safe to do so, whilst accepting that it's not strictly within the guidelines. Let's face it the guidelines are there to keep people safe and are, by necessity, generalised so application to an individual circumstance takes some common sense.

Mine's been open all the time.  I periodically drive there on my way to the local market to get my meat.  I just make sure its ok, but also there's no one there anyway.  I don't go in, just park at the gate and glance in, which is enough for me.  I can also go on the allotment to work there.  I'm further away from other people, than I am when at home.  The only thing on there you can't do is buy anything from the shop and cannot use the toilets.

I've just had an email from a caravan site we booked with before the lockdown.

They said that the money we paid them will be kept on their account until the end of 2021.

They also said that they are hoping(depending on the governments new guidelines)to re-open from July 4th and have given us the opportunity to book before their online booking system goes live.

Will have to see what happens but will give us the chance to try out our new(to us) caravan.

There is no public bars,cafes,restaurants on site and I imagine the toilet/shower block would be closed,but we can be self sufficient.

Have to wait and see🤔

2 hours ago, George&Ade said:

and I imagine the toilet/shower block would be closed,but we can be self sufficient.

Have to wait and see🤔

Likewise. Our first booking in Cornwall has shifted from May to June and now to July and I doubt that will go ahead.

However, for once I may be ahead of the game, having "panic bought" two bottles of Thetford Blue and 3 packs of happy Bowl toilet liners! Just in case. (Hopefully, like the Nightingales, they'll see little use).

:D

WRT storage, our compound has remained open throughout but I kept away till this week when I was pleased to find all was well and the solar panel had the battery up at 13v with the rat repeller singing away as I had left it.

An interesting point regarding what happens if your storage fees run out during lock down. My feeling is that if they will not let you remove the caravan and you have asked to, then they cannot charge you, as there is no longer a valid contract.

1 hour ago, Wildwood said:

An interesting point regarding what happens if your storage fees run out during lock down. My feeling is that if they will not let you remove the caravan and you have asked to, then they cannot charge you, as there is no longer a valid contract.

Isn’t that being just a bit unfair on the storage site only. They are working to government instructions and the van is still taking up a place.   Guess this is like the threads on paying for a seasonal pitch when you can’t use the site. 

There is a storage site near me and  I saw a van being towed at 8.45 yesterday morning ( Sunday) . Been to Tescos today to do the weekly shop and there was a campervan in the carpark. Some people are obviously moving them.

As far as I know storage sites never came under government scrutiny so there is no instruction on whether they can stay open or not.

I suppose it depends on how you access it as to if it is safe to do so. If you have an electronic card for access then I see no problem.

40 minutes ago, Wildwood said:

As far as I know storage sites never came under government scrutiny so there is no instruction on whether they can stay open or not.

I suppose it depends on how you access it as to if it is safe to do so. If you have an electronic card for access then I see no problem.

They really do not need to come under “ government scrutiny “ - everyone is covered by the “ Essential travel only “ instruction and, as has been said on other CT threads, going to a storage site could not be described as “ essential “

• Like 1
  • I agree completely 1

Posted (edited)
On 18/05/2020 at 11:31, Wildwood said:

If your storage ran out and you asked the site to have access to remove it and they refused.

Dealing in if's however is pointless, the answer will only be known when the storage site is asked the question.

1) They can't charge you, unless they have a clause in the contract stating that, if at the end of the contract it isn't removed within  X days charges will be payable, but if they prevented you from removing it before that time was up, how could they charge you ?

2) How can they charge you? presuming the fee isn't on S/O or DD.

The number of places that are open now is amazing, many borderline on serving  'essential needs' , whatever the latest essential needs are deemed to be,  with a far greater potential of transmitting / receiving Covid than when collecting a caravan  from storage.

Which presents the greatest danger, collecting a caravan where all chance of making contact can easily be attained, or going to a supermarket, shop, or for a bag of chips.

Sometimes a smattering of common sense solves what may appear as insurmountable problems.

Edited by Silversurf