Sign in to follow this  
stevew1

Post lockdown touring

After watching Ricky & Ralf last night we have decided on our first couple of sites after lockdown  , Blackpool so we can visit the Cottage chippy & Clitheroe probably for a couple of weeks so we can visit the pub where they had the lovely meal outside & all the other places in this foodie  paradise including the converted mill , now a brewery & food complex .

Can’t  wait for next weeks show to collect some more recommendations , my wife is compiling a list 😊😊

• Like 2

Sorry to have to ask, but who or what is “Ricky and Ralph”.

John

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Johnaldo said:

John

That quickly gave me this:

https://gold.uktv.co.uk/shows/ricky-ralfs-very-northern-road-trip/

Edited by Grandpa Steve

22 minutes ago, Johnaldo said:

John

Sorry about that , it is Ricky Tomlinson & Ralph Little from  ‘ The Royle Family ‘ doing a run about Northern England in a Motorhome  , it started off last night on ‘ Gold ‘ at 08:00 pm I think , maybe not to some folks taste but we liked it for the scenery & certainly the food . All tips for us for when we can get the van out again .

From  Rodders  helpful post it is repeated on Friday at 10:15 pm on various channels.

1 hour ago, stevew1 said:

After watching Ricky & Ralf last night we have decided on our first couple of sites after lockdown  , Blackpool so we can visit the Cottage chippy & Clitheroe probably for a couple of weeks so we can visit the pub where they had the lovely meal outside & all the other places in this foodie  paradise including the converted mill , now a brewery & food complex .

Can’t  wait for next weeks show to collect some more recommendations , my wife is compiling a list 😊😊

Clitheroe is a lovely town, we had an excellent meal at the converted mill, they have a fabulous  delicatessen next door, including the bottled beers they were sampling!

Also there is Cowmans famous sausage shop, with a huge variety for the BBQ, and a nice little whiskey and wine shop, plus an outdoor market. There used to be a caravan site nearby called three rivers but I think it's no longer for tourers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Dave Capiro owner said:

Clitheroe is a lovely town, we had an excellent meal at the converted mill, they have a fabulous  delicatessen next door, including the bottled beers they were sampling!

Also there is Cowmans famous sausage shop, with a huge variety for the BBQ, and a nice little whiskey and wine shop, plus an outdoor market. There used to be a caravan site nearby called three rivers but I think it's no longer for tourers.

There is a C&CC campsite and a few others close to town, the Three rivers still have pitch for touring, I was next door on Drake house CL for 5 days in February this year.

We’ve been planning on visiting there for over three years , I saw a very glowing report by Jay Rayner in the Observer about several pubs/restaurants in the area & our friends worked at the CCC site there for a season , last year was THE year but an enforced 6 months without our caravan caused by a lost wheel meant no touring after June . In hindsight we should have just booked into a B& B or pub , c’est la vie .

3 minutes ago, oldboy said:

There is a C&CC campsite and a few others close to town, the Three rivers still have pitch for touring, I was next door on Drake house CL for 5 days in February this year.

:Thankyou:  We were at three rivers on a rainy weekend about 20 years ago. All three ran under and around our van.

• Haha 1

Have been to Cowmans for sausages.  To die for.  Clitheroe's not that far from where I live, which is about an hour's drive.  Worth it:D.  By the way, Ralph is the new detective in Death in Paradise.  He's hilarious in it:lol:

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, oldboy said:

We're booked in to the Clitheroe C&CC site on the 5th June. There's 'some' hope :-D 

I want to rebook our New Forest trip that didn't happen last month. 

Somehow feel the UK will be getting lots more stay-cation visitors this year eventually and the Ribble Valley & Trough of Bowland is on our list as well as Kielder area.

The Pennine North has lots to offer, now the air is much clearer and the boarded up dark satanic mills have re-opened as Outlets, Galleries and Latte bars on the Canals - please do visit !

Hopefully the genuine urban countryside locals will be more welcoming than some of the grumpy rural folk on the news - will be their loss I maybe feel.

200 random folk sat together on an Airplane, travelling overseas to mingle with 800 plus randoms at a Hotel & Water Park abroad is a long way off at the moment. 

M

• I agree completely 1

Sadly, some of the places of which we have fond memories of eating etc may not still be in business when this lot ends......

We were supposed to be on a CL nr Whalley at Easter. Great walking area. Unlikely to get there or anywhere this year methinks 😩😩

Don’t know if I should be admitting this at 71+ but I quite like the music that accompanies this series , probably because my two lads were both teenagers at the time & it was always being played in our house , anyone else interested can hear it on this website , not for some but  as I said I like it .

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/6t2m7PYazmrotuPbYsAzgU?si=0OD2Va2fQh-nir6rrXcN0Q&nd=1#upsell

• Like 1

On 12/05/2020 at 15:40, Johnaldo said:

John

On 12/05/2020 at 16:08, stevew1 said:

Sorry about that , it is Ricky Tomlinson & Ralph Little from  ‘ The Royle Family ‘ doing a run about Northern England in a Motorhome …

Thanks Steve, I’ll give it a look if my tv can get Gold.

John

When I watched Ricky and Ralph, they were sat in the pub garden (the one with the church next to the pub).  Anyway, the large hill behind them, was, if I'm not mistaken, Pendle Hill, as in the infamous Pendle Witches:D

I do wonder how confident we will truly be, using restaurants, bars even public toilets for some time.  

On 14/05/2020 at 19:06, Johnaldo said:

Thanks Steve, I’ll give it a look if my tv can get Gold.

John

Well, neither my TV nor PVR picks up Gold, but then I remembered my Now stick. So on Friday I settled down to watch Ricky and Ralph, but up comes “Subscription required to continue”!   Well, that was that, because I don’t pay any extra for TV above and beyond the licence fee.  Never mind, I’ll catch it on YouTube sometime 🙂

John

Posted (edited)

If anyone visits Clitheroe don't forget to visit Dawsons Department store at the bottom of the hill along from the station. The basement there is a real Aladdin's Cave for we fellas! Look them up on line - they have five separate on-line shops/departments and often knock the socks off their competitors on price. For anyone visiting Skipton they have a second shop there (overlooks the main car park behind the Town Hall) and although not so well equipped it is still very good on prices.

There is also a very good camera (etc) supplier - UK Digital - which used to be in the town centre but is now on a small industrial estate on the edge of the town.

Edited by Woodentop

2 hours ago, Woodentop said:

If anyone visits Clitheroe don't forget to visit Dawsons Department store at the bottom of the hill along from the station. The basement there is a real Aladdin's Cave for we fellas!

I bought some charcoal from them recently.  May have also bought our Weber from them? 

We have been watching Antique Road Trip and found the towns that they visit quite fascinating and wish we could visit them.  Should have kept notes.  LOL!

Dawsons is very good if you want bedding and towels with an excellent web service.