Sign in to follow this  
HarveyTheRabbit

Absolutely ANYONE can register a caravan with CRiS with no checks by CRiS

Posted (edited)

In April 2019, unknown to me when I bought my caravan, a vicious ex partner (who I met online) intercepted a CRiS letter addressed to me following my caravan purchase and clandestinely registered my caravan to herself. 

Clearly, CRiS conduct NO CHECKS whatsoever when someone registers keepership; ANYONE can register a caravan with no questions asked at all. 

I called their staff to alert them, the staff member did not even put notes on my own CRiS account to record the call.

The ex partner now claims she owns the caravan and is demanding money to release a security marker she placed on the caravan and refusing to remove it.

I have the invoice from its purchase, yes I understand that CRiS registration is NOT proof of ownership; she does not agree (of course).

However, the CRiS website is very misleading, comparing itself to vehicle OWNERSHIP at  DVLC - this is wrong and I intend to report the CRiS website as misleading; at no point does the website state that it refers to Keepership, and not Ownership. 

Any others with similar cases? Do let me know.

Edited by HarveyTheRabbit
add more information

DVLA equally makes the point that the registration document isn't proof of ownership.

• I agree completely 1

Thank you BG - but my point is does CRiS make that clear?

According to CRiS I am the first owner of my 'van, bought used at 2 years old. I did contact them, with evidence from the dealer, and they have refused to change the documentation. I have no faith in them.  :(

Transfers of property when a marriage/partnership splits are always fraught with issues as most items which are jointly owned in the eyes of the Family Court are usually bought, invoiced, receipted to just one of the pair.

A very difficult situation with no easy answer. Not knowing what the caravan is worth I am not clear if it is worth taking legal advice on what you can do. It may be a solicitors letter will sort out the problem and if you have one in connection with the split then I would see what they think.