Sign in to follow this  
yorkyguy

12v locker supply Buccaneer Commodore

Hi all.

We did a dry run today in the garden of the air awning on our new (and unused) Commodore. Our previous Swift had a useful 12v supply in an external entertainment locker which was ideally placed for inflation. The nearest 12v supply in now inside the right hand side of the door which needs ideally to be closed to pull the awning through. I want to install a socket in the front NS locker. Where is the nearest 12v where I can take off a supply to a newly installed socket.? Can I simply connect to the nearest wiring or is it best to install an in-line fuse.

Cheers

I have installed 12v sockets in both the wet locker on the awning side and in the battery locker on the other side in our Adria.
I assume you would fit a CBE/C Line/Berker socket?

I ran  30amp rated cable from the live side of the motor mover isolator switch terminal on the battery box and fitted an inline 15 amp fuse, I then cut a 50mm hole in the cut out that is already conveniently outlined  in the wet locker box moulding. 
The negative wire is connected at the terminal on the motor mover control box, which returns to battery.

Just a case of running cable beneath the benches and across the front.

The socket does not, however have an isolating switch, although I personally do not consider it a problem, as it is only used for the awning pump and tyre compressor, as required. ( could always pull the fuse when unattended)

Just consider that an awning air pump takes 10amps or a bit more to run, so existing and convenient wiring which may be close to the box might be used but checks need to be considered regarding if the wires or circuit may not be rated for the current.

As an aside, I ran a bollard TV coax cable, for when reception is iffy on some sites on the awning side and  also  ran twin Satellite cables to the battery box socket, using CBE sockets with an additional F connector fitted to the 12V Volt/ Sat socket.

Hope this is of interest.

We found it better to use the 12v socket in the car or in some cases connect direct to the car battery?  I think the amp rating for the caravan sockets is not very high and right on the border line.  

Also if you really need to use the caravan one, why not open the door, plug in the compressor, close the door and then pump up the awning? 

Remember that if you add in a 12v socket to a caravan under warranty yourself, the warranty will be affected unless the work is done by the dealer

I used to plug my pump into the 13 pin socket on the car but then purchased a 12v alarm battery for about £10 and it fits in the pump bag.

Will do about 4 inflation of our Kampa air ace between charges.

Ian

I ran a wire from the battery with inline fuse to a isolator (as stated above 10A supply required).  Then wired in the pump  to the isolator.  I can easily disconnect the pump as also fitted it with push connections.

Thanks all for this.

I think I'll run a separate fused supply from either the battery or permanent live off the mover isolator switch. I'll route the cable through the lockers to the C Line socket in the locker. This will be independent of any of the van's wiring and I can remove it as required or pull the fuse for security.

Cheers all.