Sign in to follow this  
Bodster

Adria - Buying Advice

ADMIN COMMENT - Moved from caravan Chat

Apologies for resurrecting an old thread, but I am interested in the proposition of Adria.

Reading the above, if you had an Adria dealer 3 miles from your house - would they be a realistic contender?

On a more local level, I feel morally obliged to buy a Bailey to support our local economy as they are made here - however, Adria seem to have a good reputation for quality - even if the interior is a bit “ikea” to my eyes.

They are also a tad heavy - but towcar isn’t fully nailed down yet - so a moot point. I’m going to have to do a B+E test anyway.

• Like 1

Hi Bodster, we have had five new vans and the only one that did not need to have warranty work done was a Hobby.

The vans have all been bought from different dealers, we have none that could be described as local, and chosen on price only.

The reason for this is that since 1995 we have had all our warranty work done at a local, its 50 miles away but that is local down here, approved workshop.

They do not sell vans so have no brand loyalty to cloud the issues when problems arise.

Baileys are great-had a 2017 Verona  which was nigh on faultless-the only issue we had was a chrome tap bubbled-and the Thetford loo cassette had a little leak-both instantly replaced when mentioned without a visit to the dealer. Support uK-plus for us compared to a Bailey or any uk van the Adrias are a)too stark, b) lacking in features eg no electric hob plate only gas, etc etc. Caravans are just kits, so buy from a good dealer and one you really like is my advice! Like a house-what feels right for you-go rumage round and you'll know what I mean!

Posted (edited)

Can only compare our 2019 Adria Adora Thames to two previous Lunar Deltas. Last Delta had very few minor niggles in three years. However two major issues at time of sale 12 months ago were delaminated floor and damp around awning rail.

Adria hasn't been fault free but all minor niggles have been dealt with without having to visit dealer.

As for buying UK manufactured 'vans, take a look at what cars were all driving, how many of them are built in the UK?

I sort of supported the UK by buying Lunar but look where they got us. The layout of the Adria and its spec suits us just fine and IMO, offers better value than say a Lunar Clubman, Bailey Unicorn etc..

Dealer support is another big deal breaker for us. We could have bought cheaper new from an Adria dealer closer to us but, based on what another dealer could offer us in terms of aftersales service, we chose that dealer further away, albeit only by 20 miles. I'm guessing that the dealer near Bristol is Highbridge?

Buy what suits you regardless of where it's made.

Edited by Pebble
  • Like 1

Adria are well built but very spartan.  Just about everything is an extra including the status aerial.

• Like 1
  • I disagree 1

I would second the above from Pebble- buy what you really like-it's a big ticket item! You don't want to make a mistake!

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Durbanite said:

Adria are well built but very spartan.  Just about everything is an extra including the status aerial.

Really? Adora range post 2018-19, Status fitted, Alde 3020,  BBQ gas point, external 240v socket in locker, radio and speakers, satellite point etc.. Ok, no AL-KO lock supplied or fitted with AL-KO ATC but not a big issue really, 'van still tows well in all conditions. Anything else missing that I should know about, please let me know :D. Oh, had to retro fit a drop down flap on the kitchen work top but that's about it.

Edited by Pebble

Mines had its fair share of issues to be honest but we chose it because the layout worked for us , so did the weight at the time. There was nothing that compared at the time.

If you are happy with the dealer, the service and the layout go for it. 

The interior design works for me, I don't like some of the things UK van builders add in. But a caravan for us is something to holiday in not spend significant time in, we don't do that many nights per year.

• Like 1

I believe that you own a German car, So why worry, Its a matter of choice as others have said.

I voted to leave and would like to see English made goods instead of made in ?

That said I wouldn't buy a English made car.

I now own a Swift Bessacarr caravan and did own a Adria so like chalk and cheese.

The Alpina range does seem to white compared to the Adora range.Only now have Adria made the Altea longer giving more space, These models are much improved .

After all its a lot of money and you want to enjoy using and being away in it.

Enjoy looking and trying different models i'm sure you will know when its the one.

Good luck

David 

• Like 1

You make a good point David.

I do try to buy British built where possible. My wife owns a British built Mini, even if the parent company is German.

I’ve generally always had German cars myself as but there are other factors that come into play given I drive 25,000 miles per year - so maybe that was your point, it is whatever is suited to our needs.

We really like the Avon layout. However they are heavy beasts at 1,650kg MLPTM. With me and the car weighing in at 1,795kg that puts us in 92% territory. I have to take a B+E course and test, but will still be a novice - seems maybe too much to chew for a first van?

On 09/05/2020 at 13:33, german in the blood said:

I believe that you own a German car, So why worry, Its a matter of choice as others have said.

9 hours ago, Bodster said:

I do try to buy British built where possible.

These two comments made me smile as it reminded me of an amusing conversation with my wife.

I mentioned above that we owned a Hobby caravan and it was trouble free over the years we had it.

We fell in love with the van when we were invited to look inside one by the Dutch owners whilst on holiday in Italy, viewed new ones at a dealers in Holland whilst visiting friends and eventually bought from a German dealer.

We had to pay the deposit by bank transfer and take to balance as a bankers draft-not the most complicated venture but not as simple as buying here and that reflected how much we liked the van.

We kept the van for 7 years and, having said we fell in love when we stepped inside, my wife grew increasingly unhappy with the exterior stippled finish.

The amusing part is that we have since the mid 80s had Audis and she would not consider for a moment changing brands so, when she said whilst discussing the options, I was happy to look at another Hobby,  that she wanted to have a British van I offered a compromise.

I said that I was prepared to buy a British van BUT, if she was intent on buying British, we would have to buy a British car to match!

I did manage to keep a straight face for a few moments and the look on her face was priceless, for the brief time she thought I was serious.

On 09/05/2020 at 12:38, Pebble said:

Really? Adora range post 2018-19, Status fitted, Alde 3020,  BBQ gas point, external 240v socket in locker, radio and speakers, satellite point etc.. Ok, no AL-KO lock supplied or fitted with AL-KO ATC but not a big issue really, 'van still tows well in all conditions. Anything else missing that I should know about, please let me know :D. Oh, had to retro fit a drop down flap on the kitchen work top but that's about it.

The Adria that we looked at definitely did not have a status aerial and we were told that it was an extra along with many other things that are standard in many British caravans.  Same applied to the Knaus caravan we looked at.  As said they are well built but by the time you have added in all the extras, they can cost several thousand pounds more than an equivalent British caravan.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Durbanite said:

The Adria that we looked at definitely did not have a status aerial and we were told that it was an extra along with many other things that are standard in many British caravans.  Same applied to the Knaus caravan we looked at.  As said they are well built but by the time you have added in all the extras, they can cost several thousand pounds more than an equivalent British caravan.

What are the many other things? 

• I agree completely 1

28 minutes ago, Durbanite said:

Well I've just bought a new Knaus and I'm not sure what you expect to find as standard in a British van that isn't included in what we've bought:

BODY Smooth aluminium side panels; ALKO-Chassis with ATC; Alloy wheels - plus steel spare wheel and jack; 3 piece front windows; Large front panoramic sunroof; Heki II sunroof; Heavy duty corner steadies; Dedicated battery locker; Under bed access locker; Exterior 240v socket; Exterior gas supply; Pro.Tec-Frame body construction; Grade III insulation

KITCHEN Glass fronted oven / grill / pan cupboard 4 burner hob (3 gas, 1 electric); Microwave oven; Large sink and drainer; Large Fridge freezer; Truma Ultraflow water supply; Thetford Black enamel sink; Soft close drawers; Easy clean ‘splash back’; Worktop extension

INTERIOR Spacious front lounge with optional front chest; Large rear bathroom with separate shower cubicle; Window & Door flyscreens; TRUMA gas / electric combi boiler for hot water and central heating; LED Lighting; Electric floor heating; TV station including flat screen bracket; Radio / CD player; Bound edge carpets

SECURITY CRiS registration system; ALKO wheel locks 

Every one is different with their requirements.  We have ALDE heating which is an extra £3500 on a Knaus.  On the Knaus the chest of drawers in front between the bunks was an extra £800.  The status aerial was an extra although the wiring was in place.  None of the blinds went below the bottom of the window frame allowing a lot of light in.  The blinds on skyscape window in front came apart on being tested.  Can't remember all the extras that were required at a cost, but the caravan was well built and heavy.   If all the extras had been included we may have bought the Knaus which was a twin axle model and top of the range.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Durbanite said:

All the extras, Knaus or Adria?  The "extras" on an Adora, which I've already listed, don't bother me.  If I added all the things that say a Lunar Clubman or Bailey Unicorn have that our Adora doesn't, we'd still be at a lower purchase cost. And we're 8' wide, the other two offerings aren't. Then we come on to interior fit out materials - Adria use solid ply for the cupboard frames, Lunar used a composite to keep the weight down. The list goes on ;).

Edit - posts seem to have crossed, sorry.

Edited by Pebble

Would not mind buying an Adria or Knaus but have not seen either with a layout that I like.

1 hour ago, Durbanite said:

Every one is different with their requirements.  We have ALDE heating which is an extra £3500 on a Knaus.  

The Alde wet central heating was an option, fortunately for me, because I didn't want it. It's got under floor heating and blown air plus the air con unit we had fitted can also be used as a heater. That was enough heat for me!

We researched and looked at loads of vans before making our decision. Payload was also very important to us as we intend to spend considerable time touring. In addition to the aircon we have added an AWD motor mover and Omnistor 6300 sun canopy, all heavyish items.  The Knaus payload of 355kg allowed this leaving plenty of personal payload - other vans were severely limited in comparison (e.g. Swift Elegance Grande, Elddis Buccaneer 160kg) - imagine what personal payload you have left.

British caravans can look more sumptuous and glitzy than the Knaus, (though I personally prefer the subtler look) and are well equipped but in my view they don't have the same sense of solidity.

But as you say each to their own . . .

• Like 3

I like you have had Audi's for a very long time, my last one being a A8 4.2 tdi, Now have bought a Mercedes GL 4ltr diesel its still old, but I want a new caravan a Adria or German so had to compromise with my car.

Son has a Audi a2 but hasn't passed his test yet, so i keep the battery charged.

Wife has a Fiat 500 Abarth newest car and costs  the least to mantain, to my suprise being Fiat.

Doing your B+E should help you in the long run.

Do not worry about the reversing part of the test, Most training companies have markers to help you when to turn when manoeuvring towards the box.

The longer the trailer the easier to position as the distance between hitch and the axle is longer.

Adria have only included the aerial in the last couple of years, If I remember rightly.

Good luck and enjoy your time what ever make you buy.

Cheers

David

If you go by the PC customer surveys then Adria are always first or second for customer satisfaction and for fault free new caravans. Hobby and Knaus do not appear there tough due to insufficient numbers of owners reporting.

Adria are a little idiosincratic particularly the hob layout which is unique to them as far as I can tell and they are mostly heavy. Like all makes they have their good and bad points, you just have to assess the model you are looking at and decide if it is for you.