Static electricity shock

Hi    when waxing rear ABS panel on rear of my sons ace globetrotter I get a real static belt from the awning rail, enough to make my fingers numb.

Is there any way to prevent this? 

Rubbing a dry plastic panel with a dry cloth is a great way of generating a static charge!

There are two ways of resolving your problem:-

You could reduce the build up by trying a different polish and/or cloth, cotton and linen behave very differently.

Or allow the charge to dissipate, First try different shoes, leather soles are far more conductive than rubber or synthetics.

Then make sure that the van in some way connects to earth, perhaps by something as simple as letting the breakaway cable rest on the ground.

If nothing else works try conecting a wire to the rail somehow and hold it while you polish.

When I worked boatbuilding we often got shocks when vacuuming dust out of hulls so connected a wire from the metal end if the vacuum to the main body as the dust getting sucked along the plastic tube created static and would give us one hell of a belt which the wire prevented.

Edited by Davidmoppet

1 hour ago, robertB said:

Hi    when waxing rear ABS panel on rear of my sons ace globetrotter I get a real static belt from the awning rail, enough to make my fingers numb.

Is there any way to prevent this? 

Instead of just gently touching the rail with say just your fingertips, purposely push the palm of your hand quickly and firmly on the rail, same static passing through you,but not as noticeable.

The static is finding a way to earth through you via the rail, providing a grounding cable for the rail possibly won't work, don't forget that the charge is on you.

Same with static shocks from cars, the fallacy is that as the car passes through dry air, a static charge builds upon the car body and you provide an earth path, the reality is the charge builds up on you whilst in the car especially when wearing man made fibres and move about on the seat, the whole car is at the opposite charge,  as you touch a conducting surface of the car body, to close the door you complete the circuit, the charges equalise.

Try wearing rubber gloves that do not conduct static electricity. Rubber wellington boots might also help to insulate you from the ground. You could also clip a wire to the metal awning rail and put the other end in the ground so it is constantly earthed and any static charge built up is conducted away rather than going through you when you touch it.

If the charge has built up on you as suggested by Silversurf, then wearing anti static soled shoes like safety shoes should stop a charge building up on you.

Edited by Paul1957

I think stevan may have the right of it!  did whole van with Autoglym super resin polish and got 4 numb fingers, I have never had static shocks so violent before.

Today waxed van with Canuba wax using same type of cloths,  not a thing.  I will just have to be wary with the SRP

Glad that seems to be sorted cos there was no chance of me polishing van wearing marigolds and wellies 

Thanks all

I'm always getting electric static shocks.  What I've found works well, is to just tap your fingers, very quickly, onto anything, and it will dissipate from you.  I used to suffer at work, as the doorways had a metal band found round the doorway, the metal door handles, and obviously, always get them when turning on lights.  I think some people do suffer with getting electric shocks.  But if its your caravan, certainly have something dangling to the floor to earth it.

2 hours ago, robertB said:

Glad that seems to be sorted cos there was no chance of me polishing van wearing marigolds and wellies 

Wellies would be the worst possible footwear, ensuring that any charge that builds up between yourself and the caravan could most likely discharge itself through your hands!

I see the one of the moderators has lost there sense of humour again.  Absolute p take this over moderating atm. 

8 hours ago, Silversurf said:

Same with static shocks from cars, the fallacy is that as the car passes through dry air, a static charge builds upon the car body and you provide an earth path, the reality is the charge builds up on you whilst in the car especially when wearing man made fibres and move about on the seat, the whole car is at the opposite charge,  as you touch a conducting surface of the car body, to close the door you complete the circuit, the charges equalise.

Thank you for this explanation. Happens to me a lot when I’m the passenger in our Ford Kuga - as soon as I get out and touch the door. Interestingly, not noticed it happening when I get out of the driver’s door. 

53 minutes ago, Glen and Les said:

Thank you for this explanation. Happens to me a lot when I’m the passenger in our Ford Kuga - as soon as I get out and touch the door. Interestingly, not noticed it happening when I get out of the driver’s door. 

Most likely nothing to do with which side of the car, rather the things you touch while getting out, key, handbrake, steering wheel, etc. 

As said it’s the static building up on your clothes and on the surface of the fabric on the seats in the car. The car itself is completely insulated from earth by virtue of the tyres, so as you get out the static charge earths through your foot touching the ground. I found the best way to deal with it was after opening the door was to hold some part of the metal frame of the door firmly before stepping out. You still Earth the static charge but across a greater surface area of your hand in contact with the car rather than the charge leaping to earth at one tiny point. 

Biggest belt I get these days is when I put my hand on the moving hand hold on escalators in shopping centres etc.

Get some right cracks.

Stay safe - Griff.  :ph34r:

Wheels at the front - Discovery 4. Wheels at the back - Bessacarr 845.

You won't feel a static discharge until it has built up to 2000 / 3000 volts.

You feel the pain of the static discharge spark because it is from, or to a single point.  Hold something metal, e.g. a coin and let the spark discharge from that and you won't feel a thing.

Edited by Wunny

32 minutes ago, Durbanite said:

Worst car for getting a good belt was my MKII Zephyr due to the seat material.

Not actually due directly to the seat material!
The issue was the difference between the seat material and your clothes.

Vinyl seats and wool blend trousers are a particularly poor combination, as are wool blend seat fabric and polyester trousers.

Edited by Stevan