Sign in to follow this  
rugbytowbars

BCA dual output charger/transformer, whos got one

just ordered the bca 20A Dual Output – 3 Stage Charger / Transformer as the charger/transformer in my pms6 (same as pms7) is not giving out 12 volts.

https://bigwhitebox.co.uk/product/20a-dual-output-3-stage-charger-transformer/

Is any one using the BCA unit, any issues?

as anyone fitted one themselves, any issues?

wasnt much more expensive than the like for like replacement from bonus plug in systems, and seen as it as the 3 stage charging system built in, thought it was the better option for very little more. original replacement was around £80 plus vat plus p&p

Have had the BCA in previous Bailey and Coachman caravans and they were very unreliable.

Easy to fit.

Now are you saying this one your ordered is a BCA?

BCA ones are sold under other names such as PowerPiont.

Would have thought you could do better on price.

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, David 38 said:

Have had the BCA in previous Bailey and Coachman caravans and they were very unreliable.

Easy to fit.

:o Have you actually googled the price of the unit?

That figure quoted is cheaper than average for the twin output version of the supply.

I just wonder whether the OP's Lunar is wired to suit the two output unit?  It seems one pair of DC connect to the battery to charge it (at 6A max), the other pair to the caravan 12V load circuits - presumably with a clever relay interconnect if the DC load exceed the 20A capability and use the battery to supplement, or when the charger is off (no mains).  I can't find a manual anywhere so far, but at least one supplier had a wiring diagram and description on the web.

But if it can be fitted, it will look after the battery better than the standard units that Bailey fit (still) and want well over £200 for and the Apuljack engineering replacement charger-psu is almost £200.  Sargent do a PX300 unit at around the £120-130 price (3-stage charger, 300VA rated) but that might not fit in the space of some caravans and need wiring/connector mods?

Edited by Rodders53

i work on 12v for a living. from what i can see from the vague instructions, 1 output (3 stage charging) goes to the battery, with the battery disconnected from the control unit. the other output stable 13.8v, goes to the control unit. I'm assuming, again from the vague discription that the transformer/charger unit will allow the battery to power the 12v systems through the control panel when ehu is not connected.

until it gets delivered, I wont know exactly how it works. If i have to, I may run it through a relay and or switch if I have to.

I did put this post up to see if anyone had wired up one of these units into an older caravan to replace a basic 2 wire in 2 wire out built in pcb charger transformer.

5 hours ago, David 38 said:

Easy to fit.

purchased from big white box, its not stated as bca, but the pic is identical to the bca named ones, and power point. it was also the cheapest i found that was available to order.

cant exactly walk into my local caravan spares shop at the moment.

The BCA units are fitted to Bailey vans and others and have proven to be very unreliable and have a high failure rate, but it is the way they are fitted in the top of the main power distribution box which has very little ventilation.

You may be lucky if you fit the unit where it has very good ventilation.

Just a comment, buying cheap has its downfalls, it is not always the best idea. 

Posted (edited)
On 07/05/2020 at 23:10, Brecon said:

The BCA units are fitted to Bailey vans and others and have proven to be very unreliable and have a high failure rate, but it is the way they are fitted in the top of the main power distribution box which has very little ventilation.

You may be lucky if you fit the unit where it has very good ventilation.

Just a comment, buying cheap has its downfalls, it is not always the best idea. 

i wont be fitting it inside the original control unit, as it wont fit anyway. however i'm considering fitting it down under the seat behind the battery box, and extending the 240v power supply wires back to the circuit breakers in the control unit. the 2 12v out puts can be connected near the battery. the battery to control unit wires needs to be cut, and connected to either of the 2 outputs.

Edited by rugbytowbars

2 hours ago, rugbytowbars said:

i wont be fitting it inside the original control unit, as it wont fit anyway. however i'm considering fitting it down under the seat behind the battery box, and extending the 240v power supply wires back to the circuit breakers in the control unit. the 2 12v out puts can be connected near the battery. the battery to control unit wires needs to be cut, and connected to either of the 2 outputs.

Not quite sure what is meant here but, my experience last year was my vans charger failed ,dealer was thirty five miles away and couldn’t even look at it for three months, i bought a AA smart charger and maintainer,connected to spare 13amp socket,secured it under bed,small hole through battery box,sealed,and connected directly to battery,it’s worked very well,inc.three months in Spain over winter,permanently connected.my van is Coachman 45/2 2016.

At Christmas 2018 the BCA unit in my 2006 series 5 Bailey Ranger failed having been in use from new.

I replaced it with a BCA unit supplied by Bailey's subsiduary parts supplier.

It certainly seems to be very efficient at charging the caravan battery. Sometimes months go by with the caravan in storage in between using the caravan. There has always been sufficient power in the battery for me to use the motor mover.

I do not know whether or not it is the same as the unit in the OP.

Posted (edited)

The powerpoint (BCA) dual output smart charger/transformer turned up the other day. According to the label, this is the latest version 8.

Split the battery to control unit live and earth leads, wired battery side of leads to the charging output of the unit, and the control unit side of the leads to the regulated output of the unit. Run a length of suitable ampage 3 core from the control unit down to the powerpoint unit. Connected live and neutral to the live and neutral output switch (charger on/off switch) of the of the control unit that was originally powering the inbuilt transformer/charger, and earthed out on the control unit output. The instructions recommend mounting the unit as close to the battery as possible, so it is mounted under the seat next to the battery compartment. plenty of space around it for ventilation and cooling.

Had 12v system all working without ehu plugged in running off the battery, and when I plugged in the ehu, and switched the charger switch to on, the powerpoint unit automaticaly disconnects the battery from the control panel, and powers the 12v system, while at the same time charging the battery with the 3 stage smart charge system altering the voltage as and when needed, boost/stable/trickle.

So far so good, I can now get on with swapping out all the old lights for LED ones. The original ones are running 2 small tubes with a little pcb unit inside. The ones that are still working after 25 years give off a very poor light, and a couple of them are just dead. Can also properly test my carver water heater now, not been able to get it to work so far. If it still doesnt work, then I'll rip it our and put in a propex 10l unit instead.

Edited by rugbytowbars
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1