Practical Caravan Magazine Top 100 Sites Guide Archive

2014 to 2020

https://www.practicalcaravan.com/top100-archive

• Like 1

Tow car -  2019 MY20 G01 BMW X3 xDrive 20d M Sport 

Caravan -  2017 Compass Camino 660                               

85% On The 'Ratio'

2020  -  Only 2 sites listed for the whole of Scotland  ???  :angry:

Well, that's one better than Northern Ireland! :lol: Perhaps they ran out of petrol after tugging all around the south of England. That or the budget had nearly all been blown by then. :rolleyes:

Agree Susan D, and Wales not much better off with a mere 3.

There are plenty of review web-sites out there, I will stick to making my own judgements based on a selection of reviews from different sources.

I've used these sites for a couple of years.  But when I've gone on UKCS to check on reviews, I find that many, according to reviews, are not so very good.  A campsite I go on regular, who are one of the best sites I've been on, says that to go on Practical Caravan, they have to pay.  So it really doesn't do it justice.  I've been to a couple of sites in Wales which are not in PC and they are very good.  So don't be miffed if there's not that many sites in Wales/Scotland or NI, they're not missing anything

Babs, valid comment.

I won't take any notice of the Practical Caravan Guide because I am suspicious about the criteria used for selection, same with their cars, caravans, equipment and products recommendations.

Regrettably, suspect reviews and recommendations are rife across the advertising world be it magazines, vendors or you-tubers etc.; too many have their own agendas, I never forget to have my salt cellar nearby when reading or listening to reviews :rolleyes:.

I too wonder about how it is compiled. The two clubs do not have a monopoly of the best sites but they certainly have a lot of them and yet none of them make it into the book at all and it includes lots more sites than 100.

When the winner can charge over £100 a night for some pitches and a lot more look very expensive, it is not something I would use to choose a pitch.

On 05/05/2020 at 09:50, Sea&Sand said:

Babs, valid comment.

I won't take any notice of the Practical Caravan Guide because I am suspicious about the criteria used for selection, same with their cars, caravans, equipment and products recommendations.

Regrettably, suspect reviews and recommendations are rife across the advertising world be it magazines, vendors or you-tubers etc.; too many have their own agendas, I never forget to have my salt cellar nearby when reading or listening to reviews :rolleyes:.

So true.   I'll always remember Clarkson's review of the vectra https://www.driving.co.uk/news/20-years-of-clarkson-vauxhall-vectra-review-2002/

When reading a review I remember that manufacturers restrict the lending of product/inviting to launches to favorable reviewers.  And mostly don't bother reading the review.

Back in 2007 I was looking for a 4x4, and it came down to a choice between a freelander 2, and a landcruiser.  What car raved about their test fleet freelander, even when it had been off the road for an extended period with a mysterious fault.

On 05/05/2020 at 11:00, Wildwood said:

When the winner can charge over £100 a night for some pitches and a lot more look very expensive, it is not something I would use to choose a pitch.

Is that for real??

I cannot see very many even considering paying that much for a pitch no matter HOW good the view/site/surroundings/facilities. You can get cruises for £100 a day! 

Andy

Experience is an awful teacher who ends up sending you simply horrifying bills

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

Is that for real??

I cannot see very many even considering paying that much for a pitch no matter HOW good the view/site/surroundings/facilities. You can get cruises for £100 a day! 

Andy

Is not that the Concierge caravan park with each pitch have their own luxury facilities?

https://www.conciergecamping.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/Emperor-pitches_v2-ilovepdf-compressed-1.pdf

Edited by Guest

19 minutes ago, oldboy said:

Is not that the Concierge caravan park with each pitch have their own luxury facilities?

https://www.conciergecamping.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/Emperor-pitches_v2-ilovepdf-compressed-1.pdf

Love that, I'd be up for it. I know many wouldn't.

I'm all about the luxury.

• I agree completely 1

2016 Audi Q7 3. 0 - Towing a 2012 Sterling Elite Emerald

Persistent Love2Stay user

1 minute ago, Hort2074 said:

Love that, I'd be up for it. I know many wouldn't.

I'm all about the luxury.

There is a long waiting list though.

2 minutes ago, oldboy said:

There is a long waiting list though.

Yeah I can imagine there is, it's pretty different.

I personally would like to see more "luxury" sites popping up. I know some people like being in the middle of a field and reliant on no site services, i prefer the opposite.

I want a pitch with everything if I can, water / grey drain / brown drain / power - the whole lot. 

Went to a site with no on-pitch water once!!! Had to carry buckets from the communal tap and wash in a bucket. lol. Never again.

• I agree completely 1

7 minutes ago, Hort2074 said:

Yeah I can imagine there is, it's pretty different.

I personally would like to see more "luxury" sites popping up. I know some people like being in the middle of a field and reliant on no site services, i prefer the opposite.

I want a pitch with everything if I can, water / grey drain / brown drain / power - the whole lot. 

Went to a site with no on-pitch water once!!! Had to carry buckets from the communal tap and wash in a bucket. lol. Never again.

There are many campsite with full serviced pitch but the concierge goes a step further. the best one I have been on so far is  love 2stay a bit expensive but worth it

https://www.love2stay.co.uk/

2 minutes ago, oldboy said:

There are many campsite with full serviced pitch but the concierge goes a step further. the best one I have been on so far is  love 2stay a bit expensive but worth it

https://www.love2stay.co.uk/

Yes, there are a fair few but once you add a few more requirements into the mix, the choice starts narrowing down fairly fast.

Our caravan is stored at Love2stay, and we went pretty much every weekend during the summer last year. We do love it there, and our 6 year old adores it. 

The wife & I work long hours, so it's handy to have a site that can be travelled to within an hour, even during a Friday rush hour. They tow the van up to the pitch for us and level it, so when we get there on Friday evening you just need to plug everything in and whack the awning up. Makes the weekend a little longer for us.

Like you say, not cheap but we feel you get what you pay for. We don't generally do a big summer holiday so we just split it on caravan trips instead.