Jump to content

Over 70s' rebelling against lockdown!


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, pigsfly said:

If restrictions are lifted in some way, it doe's not mean that the pandemic is over it just means that they have a bed in an icu for you 

 

And I have no intention whatsoever of putting myself in any danger of occupying any of ‘em :)

 

My drawbridge is still very firmly up! 

 

Andy

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, cravendale said:

The biggest problem is not so much distrust of government, but distrust of their total lack of transparency .   Who knows the veracity of 'the science's nothing is published for peer review, we have an erstwhile government top scientist saying with no detail apparently contradictory advice is given from one day to the next and planning a sort of 'open source' set up of his own. Nicola Sturgeon is better at carrying her population with her air of honesty.

 I am certain government is trying its best, but who knows what their best actually is

I am still happy after looking after all the information that has been published from SAGE and the way it is being handled by the Government, it is not perfect, with hindsight a lot of thing could have been done better, as the saying goes lesson to be learned for the future.

Edited by Guest
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Where we take our exercise, we're more in danger of getting run down by cyclists than we are of catching the virus. If the way forward is for more cycle lanes etc. Will that mean more legislation AND enforcement against cyclists? Meaning speed limits, one way lanes and observing highway code 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, lunarloopy said:

. Will that mean more legislation AND enforcement against cyclists? Meaning speed limits, one way lanes and observing highway code 

 

 

Dream on!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, lunarloopy said:

If the way forward is for more cycle lanes etc. Will that mean more legislation AND enforcement against cyclists? Meaning speed limits, one way lanes and observing highway code 

As a cyclist myself, I would encourage enforcement of the present laws for all road users so that would include people on bikes. I would also encourage cycle lanes to be fit for purpose, which would often require them to be widened, with more than just a while line to segregate traffic. Equally cycle users should be required to use them.when provided.

Unfortunately reality is more likely to have been summed up by Black Grouse in his comment:-

Just now, Black Grouse said:

Dream on!

 

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Gordon said:

As a cyclist myself, I would encourage enforcement of the present laws for all road users so that would include people on bikes. I would also encourage cycle lanes to be fit for purpose, which would often require them to be widened, with more than just a while line to segregate traffic. Equally cycle users should be required to use them.when provided.

Unfortunately reality is more likely to have been summed up by Black Grouse in his comment:-

 

Around us there are perfectly good cycle lanes that some cyclists use, but some still persist on using the road and holding up traffic.  Yesterday we came across a very selfish cyclist who insisted on cycling alongside his friend making it difficult for any traffic to pass.  This type of cyclist gives others a bad name!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

But if he had ridden behind his friend, some car drivers will drive too close to a cyclist. Which is why some cyclists dominate a lane so that cars have to overtake them. Understandable. 

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, cravendale said:

The biggest problem is not so much distrust of government, but distrust of their total lack of transparency .   Who knows the veracity of 'the science's nothing is published for peer review, we have an erstwhile government top scientist saying with no detail apparently contradictory advice is given from one day to the next and planning a sort of 'open source' set up of his own. Nicola Sturgeon is better at carrying her population with her air of honesty.

 I am certain government is trying its best, but who knows what their best actually is

 

Not necessary the correct description.  Sturgeon is not a leader, she is an agitator, been described locally as "Corbyn in a skirt" .  I don't know anybody up here in Scotland who trusts Sturgeon to actually get anything done. -----------Like Corbyn, she is extremely good at self -promotion !! 

 

I believe that the UK government is doing their very best under harrowing circumstances and it would help greatly if the other political parties would stop scoring cheap political points and support the government in it's endeavours to keep us safe during this difficult time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, bessacarr425 said:

 

Not necessary the correct description.  Sturgeon is not a leader, she is an agitator, been described locally as "Corbyn in a skirt" .  I don't know anybody up here in Scotland who trusts Sturgeon to actually get anything done. -----------Like Corbyn, she is extremely good at self -promotion !! 

 

I believe that the UK government is doing their very best under harrowing circumstances and it would help greatly if the other political parties would stop scoring cheap political points and support the government in it's endeavours to keep us safe during this difficult time.

Good post.

Sturgeon has been six years in the job and has presided over a divided nation with no sign of her managing to unite Scots either for or against independence. 

The Government is doing very well, in my opinion, it would be nice if the media, both written and visual, could be said to be doing the same.

I think the BBC prodding a 12ft microphone through a window, into a persons lounge ( who has cancer and can't go to hospital) is dreadful journalism.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, Gordon said:

As a cyclist myself, I would encourage enforcement of the present laws for all road users so that would include people on bikes. I would also encourage cycle lanes to be fit for purpose, which would often require them to be widened, with more than just a while line to segregate traffic. Equally cycle users should be required to use them.when provided.

Unfortunately reality is more likely to have been summed up by Black Grouse in his comment:-

 

 

I have cycled 16000 miles in 14 countries on my folding recumbent trike.

The only time I have been deliberately run off the road was within a 30 minute bike ride from my home and that was by a 16 ton Levenseat quarry truck.

The UK needs cycling to come back ASAP but as you state its just not going to happen🙁.

We are addicted to driving our cars-perhaps thats why half the population is overweight?

On OP saw lots of under 40s walking around in Livingston yesterday on my bike ride- no oldies.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 04/05/2020 at 10:44, Durbanite said:

Last night on Skye some former pensions person said that over seventies will rebel if they are kept in lockdown longer. I do not recall this person contacting us for our opinion and neither do our friends in the same age bracket.
Makes you wonder where they get this information as generally it seems over 70's are happier to be at home under lockdown than out and about where they could get infected?  We are quite happy to stay at home until there is an all clear, or there has been a significant drop in deaths or a vaccine.

I have just sat and read all comments on this subject,i agree with both sides of the arguments,mostly.

i am 78,I have moderate copd,managed,pretty active,my partner is 82 no health problems.

we have totally isolated since about mid March,relying on the internet and volunteers to survive,not been out once,having a very large garden helps.

 We feel that our time left in this world could be short now,so as soon as we consider it is safe and we find a rural campsite willing to take us,we will be off! In our caravan.

 We will travel midweek,keep away from other people,eat and shower in our van,and not take any risk to ourselves or others, you may think we are selfish,we don’t.

 We think we have the right to make a calculated decision for our future,based on common sense and available information.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, Pheasant said:

 

 We will travel midweek,keep away from other people,eat and shower in our van,and not take any risk to ourselves or others, you may think we are selfish,we don’t.

 We think we have the right to make a calculated decision for our future,based on common sense and available information.


Only after relaxation of the lockdown and depends how far from home you go. If you're still within the catchment area of your nearest hospital maybe it would be ok, otherwise why be hostage to fortune in a location a distance afar, potentially putting extra pressure on local resources?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We have "cycle tracks" here but they are in-complete.  You enter the cycle track then it stops and the cyclist has to rejoin the road then it starts again for a few miles if you're lucky.   The most used around here is from Bathgate to Deans road end and on to the roundabout at Dobbies on the outskirts of Livingston.  It continues intermittantly in the direction of Edinburgh. 

There is a cycle track which runs from Bathgate to Airdrie on the track-bed of the old railway line but because of vandalism ( broken bottles and glass) and off- road motorbikes/quadbikes, it is not used as much as when it first opened.

What is needed is some joined up thinking by WL Council to make cycle tracks a safe method of cycling and walking to work, school and to shops..   Their current disjointed approach is just them paying lip-service to the idea of safe routes for cyclists. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It’s all about “risk” and how much an individual is prepared to accept. Some think this entire Covid situation is some form of “conspiracy”  (mostly in the land of the free!) So are happy to ignore all of the advice/regulations because they know better, and yes there are a fair few in the U.K. with a similar attitude. 

 

Others have gone to the other extreme and haven’t been outside since the start (I am not including those “shielding” in that group) and another group are adopting a “I am going to be careful and take some sensible precautions to minimise the risk as far possible” 

 

Apparently a group were discovered on Studland Beach yesterday having lit a p. It was extinguished by the Police who then discovered they were from away had towed a caravan and parked it somewhere out of sight, to make the best of the Bank Holiday Weekend :o Couldn’t make it up could you?

 

On the subject of cycle lanes I reckon my home town of Weymouth has a brilliant amount of dedicated cycle lanes and paths. I can get from my home, 4 miles into the town centre on dedicated cycle paths (not painted lanes on existing roads) and there is another that uses an old railway line all the way to the Isle of Portland from the town centre.

 

The major problem with installing cycle paths is the fact that there is rarely enough room to accommodate them on the existing road networks present in our towns. They need to be at least 2 metres wide and that’s about 75% of existing traffic lanes. If you pinch that much for bikes you will have to instal some kerbs to separate them from the vehicles which makes them even wider and THEN where is the other traffic (thing HGV size) going to go because you have pinched over 33% of the entire carriageway width. It’s a lot easier with new roads of course, but our towns are  old and crowded.

 

Andy

Edited by Mr Plodd

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

It’s all about “risk” and how much an individual is prepared to accept. Some think this entire Covid situation is some form of “conspiracy”  (mostly in the land of the free!) So are happy to ignore all of the advice/regulations because they know better, and yes there are a fair few in the U.K. with a similar attitude. 

 

Others have gone to the other extreme and haven’t been outside since the start (I am not including those “shielding” in that group) and another group are adopting a “I am going to be careful and take some sensible precautions to minimise the risk as far possible” 

 

Apparently a group were discovered on Studland Beach yesterday having lit a p. It was extinguished by the Police who then discovered they were from away had towed a caravan and parked it somewhere out of sight, to make the best of the Bank Holiday Weekend :o Couldn’t make it up could you?

 

On the subject of cycle lanes I reckon my home town of Weymouth has a brilliant amount of dedicated cycle lanes and paths. I can get from my home, 4 miles into the town centre on dedicated cycle paths (not painted lanes on existing roads) and there is another that uses an old railway line all the way to the Isle of Portland from the town centre.

 

The major problem with installing cycle paths is the fact that there is rarely enough room to accommodate them on the existing road networks present in our towns. They need to be at least 2 metres wide and that’s about 75% of existing traffic lanes. If you pinch that much for bikes you will have to instal some kerbs to separate them from the vehicles which makes them even wider and THEN where is the other traffic (thing HGV size) going to go because you have pinched over 33% of the entire carriageway width. It’s a lot easier with new roads of course, but our towns are  old and crowded.

 

Andy


Two vehicles stopped in our street last night at 12:30  and 1:00, to drop off neighbours kids...just like every Saturday night.

 

You will never get through to some people without hitting their pockets HARD.  
 

We do everything half heartedly in this country. Whilst that makes for a easy going society in times of crisis the authorities need the ability to bite meaningfully.

 

Its quite laughable that they have been allowing 15000 untested people a day into our country through our airports and expecting  the average Joe Public to stick to the rules. And then saying they will do something about that...at the end of the month.  What sort of example does that set ? No wonder more and more people are saying s*d it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, ericfield said:

 

 

You will never get through to some people without hitting their pockets HARD.  
 

 

 

 

I have contacts in Tenerife.  

 

They are allowed to exercise now but in age groups at different times and close to home.

 

Fines are being issued to everyone who break this by Police and Arm. Fines start at 600 Euro's.

 

Their local leader  has hinted at a phased return to tourism with the British being the last as we can't be trusted to stick to guidance.

 

Edited by logiclee

Yeti 2.0TDi EU6 150 DSG 4X4 L&K, Octavia TSi Manual, Fabia TSi DSG, Swift Challenger.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, logiclee said:

 

Fines are being issued to everyone who break this by Police and Arm. Fines start at 600 Euro's.

 

 

Excellent !!! That sort of fine really concentrates the mind doesn’t it?? I just wish the U.K. Govt would do likewise, £60 reduced to £30 is less than many spend on a night out so totally pointless. A fine needs to HURT, 

 

27 minutes ago, logiclee said:

 

Their local leader  has hinted at a phased return to tourism with the British being the last as we can't be trusted to stick to guidance.

 

 

Valid point, BUT they would only need to whack a few British tourists with that level of fine to ensure total compliance by the rest as news would spread very fast. Having said that would YOU fancy getting on an aeroplane before being vaccinated against Covid? I wouldn’t :excl:

 

Andy

 

 

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Wee  Krankie has just changed the lock-down rules in Scotland We will now be allowed to go out of the house many times in the day..  But she forgot to use Fandabidozy" to describe the change of rules  ..... :D:D:D

Edited by bessacarr425
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, bessacarr425 said:

Wee  Krankie has just changed the lock-down rules in Scotland We will now be allowed to go out of the house many times in the day..  But she forgot to use Fandabidozy" to describe the change of rules  ..... :D:D:D

But still " stay at home "

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So according to fishy you can go outside as much as you like, but I have just seen her in the telebox evening news telling everyone they  must continue to  “Stay at home” :blink:

 

Have I missed something here?

 

Andy 

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don’t understand why Brits can’t go out as often as they like as long as they keep a reasonable distance from others what’s the problem. We cycled along the Rhein today, very nice it was too and we never came within 2m of anyone else.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

So according to fishy you can go outside as much as you like, but I have just seen her in the telebox evening news telling everyone they  must continue to  “Stay at home” :blink:

 

Have I missed something here?

 

Andy 

 

Only that you have missed that bessacar425 is again corrupting the facts and promulgating his misinformation, as usual.

 

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/may/10/nicola-sturgeon-leads-criticism-of-uks-new-stay-alert-coronavirus-lockdown-advice

Edited by Sea&Sand
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...