Have a look at Saris Traps. You maybe able to mount to a piece of ply to use as a stand. 

• Like 1

A seemingly problem free 2010 model Adria Altea 542dk that has more than its fair share of use.

On 03/05/2020 at 20:38, gjd said:

Hi all, recently bought 2X electric bikes, think best way to carry is a bike rack on rear of car (Ford Kuga) but a little concerned at all that weight right at the back combined with 80kg nose weight on towbar. Reassurance please!

See my posting here regarding various locations to carry bikes.

We have a pair of full size electric bikes but if the batteries are removed they weigh little more than standard bikes, we also have a couple of folding bikes that 'live' in the MH.

On 14/03/2006 at 14:51, Gordon said:

I've carried bikes on the roof, in the towcar, on the towcar rear, in the caravan and on the caravan rear. About the only place I've not tried is on the caravan drawbar.

1. On the roof. Very noisy when travelling. Increased fuel consumption. Difficult to lift into place. Have to allow for increased height, but otherwise can forget whilst en route.

2. In the towcar (child's bikes). It's luggage, nuff said.

3. On the towcar rear. Convenient for solo trips. Harder to hitch up a caravan. Can restrict articulation of trailer. Added weight behind axle. Little affect on fuel consumption.

4. In the caravan. Difficult to secure in place. Possible damage to caravan interior. Have to clean bikes before travelling. Out of the way, unless you want to stop for a meal in the 'van. Little affect on fuel consumption.

5. On the caravan rear. Not all caravans can take a rear rack. Reduced noseweight. Can affect towing stability. Convenient en route and on site. Rear racks not permitted in some countries. Shipping length increased (higher ferry costs?). Little affect on fuel consumption.

6. Caravan drawbar. Increased noseweight. Restricted articulation. Not an option on many UK 'vans with a short drawbar. Difficulty when hitching up. Convenient on site. Little affect on fuel consumption.

My personal preference is the caravan rear, but this has to be undertaken with care and due regard for the caravan warranty, towing stability etc.

Gordon.

Bike Rack 09.jpg

If you carry the bikes on the rear of the car and also tow a caravan, be aware this may impose a limit to outfit articulation.

• Thanks 1

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan Talk.

12 hours ago, Allan Guest said:

I have two Thule roof carriers, which I have used  for many years, and a Thule Express tow bar mounted carrier.

As said ebikes are quite heavy and also my roof carrier will not accommodate the down tube of the bike so when towing I was going to have  a problem.

I would not want to carry bikes inside the van, even if I could get them in, and the van was at home, neither of which is the case, so  started to look at alternatives for carrying whilst towing, hence looking at the like of the Maxxraxx.

I had looked at the Thule Thru Ride carrier which would have been ideal but for the issue of lifting the bike onto the roof and would also potentially be more expensive when using ferries due to the height issue.

The answer  however, was staring me in the face, or to be precise hanging over my head, in my shed.

We usually travel alone, so use the rear of the car to carry things like the awning etc and the boot takes the fridge and bags, but as we also take away the Grand children have a roof box, as we cant use the rear seat when taking them.

My solution, at no additional cost, is to put the bike in the back if the car, standing up with the front wheel off, and use the roof box to accommodate the now displaced bags.

I had been so focused on the rack solution this alternative didn't occur to me.

It also has the advantage of keeping my wife happy. She like to use the roof box as it keeps the car a lot tidier with two teenagers piles of 'stuff' not cluttering the car, and she also likes the fact that it makes her feel like she is 'on holiday'!

This what we do. Rear seats folded down, front wheels off and the bikes strapped to the anchor points on the back of the seats. Works really well for us. It leaves us plenty of space for everything else. We do have compact ebikes though.

• Like 1

Coachman VIP 575. Mercedes ML 250 auto, One wife, three kids, five Grandkids.

On 03/05/2020 at 20:38, gjd said:

Hi all, recently bought 2X electric bikes, think best way to carry is a bike rack on rear of car (Ford Kuga) but a little concerned at all that weight right at the back combined with 80kg nose weight on towbar. Reassurance please!

i go mountain biking all the time, i have a witter zx702 cycle carrier, towbar mounted. rated upto 60kg, 30 per bike. the carrier is just under 16kg. most ebikes will not weigh more than 25kg, so even at the heaviest end, your still only hitting 66kg.

Posted (edited)

We bought a pair of Ebikes Just before lock down. I also bought a pair of Thule 598 roof carriers.  These are rated to 20kg. With the batteries stripped off the bikes weigh arround 20kg.  Once you get them onto the roof the bikes feel secure.  I have put on the roof a couple of times before we couldn’t travel.  I decided that buying a towball mounted carrier was a good idea.  My intention is to travel when towing with the bikes on e roof and when we are at our destination use the towball carrier.   It is worth saying , we have a Touareg and the internal height isn’t enough to fit the bikes inside standing up even with the front wheel removed so I would measure carefully. 

Although our van has a long   continental a-frame, I just don’t want to add add anymore weight to it.    

Luckly there are plenty of places to ride locally so they are getting some use. 

Edited by fred
12 hours ago, Allan Guest said:

I have two Thule roof carriers, which I have used  for many years, and a Thule Express tow bar mounted carrier.

As said ebikes are quite heavy and also my roof carrier will not accommodate the down tube of the bike so when towing I was going to have  a problem.

I would not want to carry bikes inside the van, even if I could get them in, and the van was at home, neither of which is the case, so  started to look at alternatives for carrying whilst towing, hence looking at the like of the Maxxraxx.

I had looked at the Thule Thru Ride carrier which would have been ideal but for the issue of lifting the bike onto the roof and would also potentially be more expensive when using ferries due to the height issue.

The answer  however, was staring me in the face, or to be precise hanging over my head, in my shed.

We usually travel alone, so use the rear of the car to carry things like the awning etc and the boot takes the fridge and bags, but as we also take away the Grand children have a roof box, as we cant use the rear seat when taking them.

My solution, at no additional cost, is to put the bike in the back if the car, standing up with the front wheel off, and use the roof box to accommodate the now displaced bags.

I had been so focused on the rack solution this alternative didn't occur to me.

It also has the advantage of keeping my wife happy. She like to use the roof box as it keeps the car a lot tidier with two teenagers piles of 'stuff' not cluttering the car, and she also likes the fact that it makes her feel like she is 'on holiday'!

Check out the height of the bikes before you go too far down this route. Bikes are taller than you think, even with the front wheel out.

I always put my bike in the back of the car, but laid flat because it is too tall to stand up without removing the seat pin as well as the front wheel. 

Posted (edited)

ive just bought a 5 birth lunar premiere, with rear seating/ sleeping area. there will only be me and the wife using it, so our 2 bikes will go in the caravan. my wife as an emtb, weighing around 23kg with the battery, mine is a full suspension mtb weighing around 13kg. while travelling, ill place the wifes bike at least, at the front end of the caravan. once on site, both bikes will be placed in the rear seating/sleeping area so they are safe, and out of the way. roughly £6000 worth between the 2 bikes so dont want to be leaving them outside, even locked up. once sited ill be using my towbar mounted carrier to get to the mtb trail centres. got 4 thule 591 carriers that i no longer use, fine for my bike, but i dont feel safe using them on the wifes emtb, plus lifting it up is a pain. we drove from warwickshire to alicante, 3500 mile round trip, 4 bikes on the roof, no ebikes, my mpg in the car was around 35mpg, usually around 55mpg. with the towbar carrier, my mpg on a trip upto the lake district was 45mpg, and we had got the wifes ebike by then. i use the witter zx702 carrier, the equivelent in thule is more than twice the price.

also a quick note on carrying ebikes, you can only use roof or towbar mounted carriers, and they must be capable of carrying the extra weight. you can not use rear mounted carriers on cars due to the weight of the ebikes, and the fact that most rest against your rear screen, all it takes is a slight bump in the road, and say bye bye to your rear windscreen.

Edited by rugbytowbars
9 hours ago, rugbytowbars said:

also a quick note on carrying ebikes, you can only use roof or towbar mounted carriers, and they must be capable of carrying the extra weight. you can not use rear mounted carriers on cars due to the weight of the ebikes, and the fact that most rest against your rear screen, all it takes is a slight bump in the road, and say bye bye to your rear windscreen.

You highlight a possible problem however not all rear carriers apply any load to the rear screen, and batteries can be removed from most ebikes. Each situation needs to be assessed individually regarding the exact position of any load applied to the towcar.

We have used two kinds of rear carriers on the towcars. One was mounted to the towbar frame (see footnote) so placed no load on the rear tailgate or screen, while the other straddled the rear screen with the load being taken by the tailgate metalwork. In each case the rear washer/wipers functioned normally, and we could also tow our caravans with full articulation, and bikes on the carriers.  Bike Rack 07.jpg

Footnote: The rules covering towbar mounted carriers have been updated since we used one but whatever anyone does, they need to be mindful of all limitations, both legal and loading.

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan Talk.

14 hours ago, Glen and Les said:

Have you secured any fixing points to hold the bike upright?

Hi, there appears at firts to be a good selection but once I began to look closer not so much. My bike has a 15mm thru axle and the Sarris mentioned in the next poist is, so far as I can see, only a 9mm fitting .

12 hours ago, daveat92 said:

Check out the height of the bikes before you go too far down this route. Bikes are taller than you think, even with the front wheel out.

I always put my bike in the back of the car, but laid flat because it is too tall to stand up without removing the seat pin as well as the front wheel. 

Hi, I had presumed, having tried this option previously,that I would need to either drop or remove the seat. It comes as a surprise when you look at what appears a large opening into the car to find that the bike is larger!

I have measured the opening etc and seems to be OK but think the bike will have to be inserted on the tilt then stood upright.

The next thing is to source a thru axle fixing to attach the bike,the prices I am seeing for what is a short length of 15mm tube are  quite a surprise, and a suitable fixing for this, probably a piece of 4x2 or similar, of a suitable/manageable length.

9 hours ago, Allan Guest said:

Hi, there appears at firts to be a good selection but once I began to look closer not so much. My bike has a 15mm thru axle and the Sarris mentioned in the next poist is, so far as I can see, only a 9mm fitting .

You can get adaptors Allan. 

In fact for what your after an adaptor (eBay etc) maybe able to be drilled and secured to a 4x2 and even save the need for a trap.    The traps use a 9mm qr so drilling one out wouldn't leave enough material to be very strong so that ruled out that suggestion. 

IMG_20200506_183608.jpg

A seemingly problem free 2010 model Adria Altea 542dk that has more than its fair share of use.

Something like that if you bent the slotted ends at 90 degrees may work. 

Screenshot_2020-05-06-18-43-21-636_com.android.chrome.jpg

On 05/05/2020 at 07:22, Allan Guest said:

My solution, at no additional cost, is to put the bike in the back if the car, standing up with the front wheel off....

Ditto, great if you have the head room.

20200506_213123.thumb.jpg.e19c36bb3c6b4cf980315ee36cacd35b.jpg

• Like 1

Stay safe - Griff.:ph34r:

Discovery 4 with a Bessacarr 845 behind

12 hours ago, clairendave said:

You can get adaptors Allan. 

In fact for what your after an adaptor (eBay etc) maybe able to be drilled and secured to a 4x2 and even save the need for a trap.    The traps use a 9mm qr so drilling one out wouldn't leave enough material to be very strong so that ruled out that suggestion. 

IMG_20200506_183608.jpg

Hi clairendave, saw these and other adaptors but those that were suitable for a 15mm axle were generally unavailable/out of stock etc. Had alook on ebay and there are some there so once I have done a trial run will be looking to order. Thanks

12 hours ago, clairendave said:

Something like that if you bent the slotted ends at 90 degrees may work. 

Screenshot_2020-05-06-18-43-21-636_com.android.chrome.jpg

Yes saw theses as well and they look promising if I cant find any that are the same basic design as the Saris but for 15mm.

9 hours ago, Griff said:

Ditto, great if you have the head room.

20200506_213123.thumb.jpg.e19c36bb3c6b4cf980315ee36cacd35b.jpg

Hi Griff, very neat! The brackets look ideal for what I am after-do you do commissions! 

Thanks

• Like 1

Thanks for all your comments, certainly some 'food for thought'!