Hi all, recently bought 2X electric bikes, think best way to carry is a bike rack on rear of car (Ford Kuga) but a little concerned at all that weight right at the back combined with 80kg nose weight on towbar. Reassurance please!

What do the bikes weigh? 

How much do you load in the car? 

The limiting factors will be the carrier capacity,

Your rear axle load will need to be adhered too as well.  

• Like 1

A seemingly problem free 2010 model Adria Altea 542dk that has more than its fair share of use.

Axle load  is what I was concerned about, not easy to go to a weighbridge!

How many people travel in the car, or how much do you put in it.  If only two passengers then hopefully the bikes weigh less than two further adults and careful loading would give a reasonable assumption you won't be exceeding the axle load.  But a weighbridge or scales is the only definitive way to know.  

• Like 2

A seemingly problem free 2010 model Adria Altea 542dk that has more than its fair share of use.

You’re just worried about bikes on the back or bikes and a caravan?

My Shogun has a towball Max of 150 Kg which is about as much as it gets. The Max load on my caravan hitch is 100Kg but I do load it to 120 Kg (yes I know, very naughty). This is because I have 2 bikes on my caravan A Frame. My bikes however weigh less than 10 Kg each, I’m guessing e-bikes are at least 20 Kg each so quite a lot

2015 3. 2 Auto Mitsubishi Pajero tugging a 2016 Tabbert Pucinni 2. 5e

9 minutes ago, Borussia 1900 said:

You’re just worried about bikes on the back or bikes and a caravan?

My Shogun has a towball Max of 150 Kg which is about as much as it gets. The Max load on my caravan hitch is 100Kg but I do load it to 120 Kg (yes I know, very naughty). This is because I have 2 bikes on my caravan A Frame. My bikes however weigh less than 10 Kg each, I’m guessing e-bikes are at least 20 Kg each so quite a lot

Read the first post and it answers a good bit of your question.  

And your Shogun is a whole different world to a Kuga that's based on (or at least used to be) the platform from a mid sized family hatcback/saloon 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, clairendave said:

Read the first post and it answers a good bit of your question.  

And your Shogun is a whole different world to a Kuga that's based on (or at least used to be) the platform from a mid sized family hatcback/saloon 

Read? I can bearly see, I’ve been sat in the garden drinking gin 😂😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

So funny.........

• Like 1

Can batteries etc be detached and put in the car?

Is a roof mount an option?

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, Jiffy176 said:

Can batteries etc be detached and put in the car?

Is a roof mount an option?

I have an ebike with a detachable battery integral to the down tube. I can just about lift to the roof safely but my rack clamps to the down tube which is just too wide for the clamp to fit.

• Like 1

You don’t say whether they are folding or not. We have 2 ebikes - one is a Folder, which by its very nature, folds up in its bag and travels in our Kuga  behind the driver with the rear seats folded. The second bike is a full-sized 26” model and that presents more of a challenge. We remove the front wheel and somehow manage to turn it on its side and lay it flat in the rear of the car, alongside the folder. Unfortunately not much room for anything else in the car!

When we’re not towing we have a towbar mounted cycle rack, which we bought in an Aldi’s in the Netherlands 6 years ago and which is designed to take the weight of the heavier bikes - each of ours weighs in at around 20kgs without battery.

We would love to get a high-mounted rear rack to carry the full-size bike and allow us to tow at the same time, but we understand that the tailgate on the Kuga is not strong enough to take a rear-mounted bike rack. We have tried several manufacturers but to no avail. If anyone out there knows of one we would love to hear from you.

Glen.

• Thanks 1

2019 Ford Kuga 2. 0 (150 bhp) AWD Manual and 2017 Coachman Pastiche 565.

1 minute ago, Glen and Les said:

We have tried several manufacturers but to no avail. If anyone out there knows of one we would love to hear from you.

I have looked at the MaxxRaxx as they do one you can still tow with but they are very expensive.

• Like 1

You need to do the sums when considering a MaxxRaxx.

An extra 40kg or so on the tow hitch will eat into the allowance for caravan noseweight.

• Like 1

Land Rover on SORN so not towing anything for a while

4 minutes ago, Allan Guest said:

I have looked at the MaxxRaxx as they do one you can still tow with but they are very expensive.

I’ve looked at those, but think they clamp to the towball, which we’re trying to avoid due to weight. Oh for the days,  pre-ebike, when they both went up on top of the car! No chance now lol.

10 hours ago, Glen and Les said:

We would love to get a high-mounted rear rack to carry the full-size bike and allow us to tow at the same time, but we understand that the tailgate on the Kuga is not strong enough to take a rear-mounted bike rack. We have tried several manufacturers but to no avail. If anyone out there knows of one we would love to hear from you.

Glen.

Any of these up to the job?

https://www.thule.com/en-gb/bike-rack/trunk-bike-racks

Bearing in mind the typical weight of ebikes, plus the strength needed to even lift them up off the ground, never mind up into the air, plus the heavy weight hanging off the end of the car I would be very concerned about trying to do anything like that. Also, the effective weight of any item increases considerably when the vehicle goes over a sharp hump, so it's not just the dead weight you need to consider.

If you aren't or can't get physically fit enough to pedal an unpowered bike over the distance you wish to cycle, I suggest you look into a small trailer.

No, I'm not being "funny" or sarcastic, I'm serious.

Before we got a dog we used to take two bikes with us. We tried all sorts of ways to carry them, roof rack, rear rack, in the car, then finaly found it was less hassle to carry them in the caravan. Put an old blanket on the bed, lay one bike on that , then another blanket for the second bike.

Carrying a bike on the car costs a lot in fuel and inside the car leaves no room for all the heavy stuff to go.

• Like 1

'I know' is just 'I Believe' with delusions of grandeur

Mitsubishi Outlander 2.4 PHEV 4H

Unicorn 4 Cadiz

When we travel to Spain I have 2 Folding bikes on my caravan A Frame and 2 Road Bikes and a Mountain Bike on the car roof. 
A fully loaded 2 tonne caravan, 3 tonne of car, bikes hanging everywhere and the aerodynamics of a house brick. I certainly spend plenty of time visiting fuel stations  😳

• Haha 1

Previously used a Thule roof mounted rack for two mountain bikes as had no real alternative with the last car and van given the nose weight limit and 'A' frame design.

Considering options for our new rig and fortunately I can now also consider either a tow bar mounted rack Maxxraxx or an 'A' frame mounted rack Thule Short .

The roof mounted option certainly affects fuel consumption (compared occasions when we've not carried the bikes) so I'm tempted by the tow bar solution. This has the advantage of not impinging on our van payload and also provides bike carrying capability once we've unhitched the van. Fortunately the Cayenne has a nose weight limit of 140 kg so even with the rack and two bikes we will be ok.

Life is not a rehearsal . . .:)

Porsche Cayenne S Diesel & Knaus StarClass 695. Previously Audi S4 Avant & Elddis Super Sirocco

2 hours ago, Borussia 1900 said:

Thank you. The problem is the design of the rear door on the Kuga - very few rear mounted bikes are recommended but, interestingly, the Saris Bones racks are recommended - they are very similar to the first two in the link. I’m currently “watching” a few on eBay to see what they go for - if pretty reasonable I may pop a bid in last minute and see what they’re like. 

Glen.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Artleknock said:

Before we got a dog we used to take two bikes with us. We tried all sorts of ways to carry them, roof rack, rear rack, in the car, then finaly found it was less hassle to carry them in the caravan. Put an old blanket on the bed, lay one bike on that , then another blanket for the second bike.

Carrying a bike on the car costs a lot in fuel and inside the car leaves no room for all the heavy stuff to go.

That’s the way we used to do it. No faffing about with racks or giving yourself a hernia putting them on the roof. 

3 hours ago, Artleknock said:

We tried all sorts of ways to carry them,  then finally found it was less hassle to carry them in the caravan.

That's fine if you can reach your destination by evening on the first day.   Many of us just stop for the night.

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

Some problems just don’t have easy solutions. Trying to tow a caravan, with bikes on the back of a car is always going to be one of them. Not a lot of room, excess weight on the towbar, rear axle loading, can’t open the boot, cars that can’t have boot mounted racks......Putting 40 odd extra kilos into the van isn’t going to be easy to stay within payloads.....

Its car roof mounted for me, with just my mountain bike, although if you aren’t physically strong enough to lift them up there that’s no good either. And lots of car roofs aren’t strong enough for that load anyway. Is no one going to suggest putting them on the back of the caravan? That always stirs up a good argument. 😆😆😆

• Haha 1
  • I do not understand 1
13 hours ago, Fireman Iain said:

Some problems just don’t have easy solutions.

I have two Thule roof carriers, which I have used  for many years, and a Thule Express tow bar mounted carrier.

As said ebikes are quite heavy and also my roof carrier will not accommodate the down tube of the bike so when towing I was going to have  a problem.

I would not want to carry bikes inside the van, even if I could get them in, and the van was at home, neither of which is the case, so  started to look at alternatives for carrying whilst towing, hence looking at the like of the Maxxraxx.

I had looked at the Thule Thru Ride carrier which would have been ideal but for the issue of lifting the bike onto the roof and would also potentially be more expensive when using ferries due to the height issue.

The answer  however, was staring me in the face, or to be precise hanging over my head, in my shed.

We usually travel alone, so use the rear of the car to carry things like the awning etc and the boot takes the fridge and bags, but as we also take away the Grand children have a roof box, as we cant use the rear seat when taking them.

My solution, at no additional cost, is to put the bike in the back if the car, standing up with the front wheel off, and use the roof box to accommodate the now displaced bags.

I had been so focused on the rack solution this alternative didn't occur to me.

It also has the advantage of keeping my wife happy. She like to use the roof box as it keeps the car a lot tidier with two teenagers piles of 'stuff' not cluttering the car, and she also likes the fact that it makes her feel like she is 'on holiday'!

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Allan Guest said:

My solution, at no additional cost, is to put the bike in the back if the car, standing up with the front wheel off, and use the roof box to accommodate the now displaced bags.

We have considered this option. Have you secured any fixing points to hold the bike upright?