Anyone bought a new/used car in the lockdown

Every now and again I think shall I change the car I guess we all do this now and again.   Was looking on the internet and find most dealers say showroom closed. But one or two say we can supply now if you order I presume phone or on-line and we deliver to you and take your p/x away.

Anyone done this?

Seems it is done without breaking contact rules for the virus.

Regards, David
Ford Kuga ST line 2ltr. Diesel 2017,  Bailey Pursuit 11 400/2 2018, Emove em303 motor mover, Hyundai 1000i Generator.

Posted (edited)

A neighbour across the way seems to be doing a roaring trade in used cars at present.  he only does one car at a time from his home premises.  Previously he would have a car for a week or two before it moved on, but since the lockdown it seems to be one every 2 - 3 days?  I don't know where he is obtaining the cars.

Edited by Durbanite

What car do you want?   I have two car dealers in the family I can ask for you.

Bailey Orion News & Information - 

3 minutes ago, Wunny said:

What car do you want?   I have two car dealers in the family I can ask for you.

Only in the thinking stage and thanks for the offer of help.

I blow hot and cold on another Peugeot 308SW 1.6  but look at Ford Kuga as many recommend the 2.0 for towing.

In fact when one thinks of the money cost of changing it can sober one up.  :-)

Regards, David
Ford Kuga ST line 2ltr. Diesel 2017,  Bailey Pursuit 11 400/2 2018, Emove em303 motor mover, Hyundai 1000i Generator.

Yes I bought one last week...

Volvo XC60 & Hobby Premium 540efu

I bought one three days prior to lockdown, it’s done just over 100 miles since purchase :( it is however now VERY shiny indeed :D

Andy

Experience is an awful teacher who ends up sending you simply horrifying bills

1 hour ago, Nick J said:

Yes I bought one last week...

Would you be able to tell us the purchase process you encountered?

Regards, David

I have just bought a used car and will be p/x my current car. The reason I am doing it now is that the deals on used cars is really good at the moment plus I got 2 years warranty thrown in plus finance at 3.9% apr. I did the deal over the phone/email with the proviso that if when the car is delivered it isn’t as described I can pull out with a full refund. I have bought many cars this way previously without an issue. 

I understand that the lockdown rules allow dealers to deliver cars especially to key workers of which there are 3 in our house.

• Like 1

2020 Swift Eccles 650 towed by Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 4.4

"What doesn't kill you only makes you stronger!"

2 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

I bought one three days prior to lockdown, it’s done just over 100 miles since purchase :( it is however now VERY shiny indeed :D

Andy

What car did you buy?

Mazda 6 SportNav auto diesel estate in “Soul red” Its the third one of those I have owned now, superb car, comfy, quiet, ultra reliable, economic and loads of torque so an excellent tug (and it’s got loads of “toys”) 

Scared the life out of me bringing it home, it has “lane assist” and, like the previous one it “rumbles” if you get near the white lines but unlike the previous ones this one actually gently steers away from it as well! Very spooky at first.

Only downside is that it’s now got an electric handbrake, I suppose I will become accustomed to it in time.

First one I have had with adaptive LED headlights, their awesome, even better than the previous ones HID lights. If on main beam and you come up behind another car the centre bit of headlight goes out so you don’t dazzle the car in front, but the beam patterns “wings” stay on to light up both verges further ahead/alongside the car in front! If on main and there is an approaching car you get “semi dip” the near side bit of beam stays illuminated so you can still see along  verge a long way ahead. A very clever system indeed, I love it!!!

Andy

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

Mazda 6 SportNav auto diesel estate in “Soul red” Its the third one of those I have owned now, superb car, comfy, quiet, ultra reliable, economic and loads of torque so an excellent tug (and it’s got loads of “toys”) 

Scared the life out of me bringing it home, it has “lane assist” and, like the previous one it “rumbles” if you get near the white lines but unlike the previous ones this one actually gently steers away from it as well! Very spooky at first.

Only downside is that it’s now got an electric handbrake, I suppose I will become accustomed to it in time.

First one I have had with adaptive LED headlights, their awesome, even better than the previous ones HID lights. If on main beam and you come up behind another car the centre bit of headlight goes out so you don’t dazzle the car in front, but the beam patterns “wings” stay on to light up both verges further ahead/alongside the car in front! If on main and there is an approaching car you get “semi dip” the near side bit of beam stays illuminated so you can still see along  verge a long way ahead. A very clever system indeed, I love it!!!

Andy

Yep, my car has auto-swerve* as well- although you can turn it it off so the steering wheel just vibrates rather than pushing the steering as well (it's about three levels down in the menu). As you say it's a bit disconcerting the first time it does it. I turned mine off.

I'd like adaptive headlights but they add a grand to the price but I might be tempted the next time as the projector lights I've got now are significantly worse than the lights on my wife's Meriva especially down the extremely dark country roads where we live

* a bit of an exaggeration but tha'ts what I call it;)

Edited by matelodave

2018 S-Max Titanium 2. 0 Tdci (177. 54bhp,180ps,132kw) Powershift + 2015 Unicorn III Cadz, Ventura Marlin porch awning

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, matelodave said:

I'd like adaptive headlights but they add a grand to the price but I might be tempted the next time as the projector lights I've got now are significantly worse than the lights on my wife's Meriva especially down the extremely dark country roads where we live

They come as standard on mine. Like I said I was very pleased with the HID projector lights on my previous one UNTIL I drove this one in the dark, the “step up”  is about the same again  as there is between Halogen and HID I.e. a huge improvement. 

Oh, a toy I forgot to add is that this one also has a “Head up” colour display (which I love) for speed, road signs, distance recognition, lane keeping, and sat nav instructions. No need to actually look at the instrument panel now! 

I dont believe In turning  any safety measures off, if they are fitted it makes sense to use them surely??

Andy

Edited by Mr Plodd

I bought one from a dealer on autorader and we agreed a price which included delivery,

he got a friend of his who was a lorry driver but was furloughed to drive it from Manchester to suffolk.

I wasn't impressed as i expected it to be on a lorry but hey ho, he was a lovely chap,

I checked the car over and was happy and the driver went off to the train station and went home that was.

extremely happy with the car, and i think i got it for a good price due to the lockdown.

I then sold my old one to my dad for a reduced price as we were chatting on the phone and he said he wanted it, so he got his g/f's son who is a mechanic to drive to me and he picked it up on his recovery truck, and took it to my dads.

And with the money i got off my dad i bought a new to me caravan which i bout a week later for a very good price due to the lockdown, elddis odyessy 544 2007 got it for 5K he wanted 6.5K but i went in hard and stood firm on my 5K and eventually he agreed lol

• Like 1
17 hours ago, David 38 said:

Would you be able to tell us the purchase process you encountered?

I was made redundant by my company on the first day of lock down so lost my company car the same day, I need transport so went on the hunt, found something I liked not too far away so went through the pictures and watched a video of the vehicle made by the dealer, checked out the mileage via DVLA website and was give a 48 hour money back guarantee following delivery. I'm keeping it.....:D

Volvo XC60 & Hobby Premium 540efu

2 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

They come as standard on mine. Like I said I was very pleased with the HID projector lights on my previous one UNTIL I drove this one in the dark, the “step up”  is about the same again  as there is between Halogen and HID I.e. a huge improvement. 

Oh, a toy I forgot to add is that this one also has a “Head up” colour display (which I love) for speed, road signs, distance recognition, lane keeping, and sat nav instructions. No need to actually look at the instrument panel now! 

Andy

Having the auto high beam is a real advantage on rural roads.  These head up displays, is the display on the inside of the windscreen?  My train of thought is that it could also be distracting as you move your eye focus closer.  I have been been in a vehicle with this sort of toy hence the question.  Ta!  :)

Our local LR dealer sent an email saying they were closed except for emergency repairs but the salesmen were working from home and could arrange pictures and videos of any car and then deliver the car to you for a test drive.

Ian

2018 Range Rover Sport AB,  2015 Buccaneer Cruiser.

3 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

Only downside is that it’s now got an electric handbrake, I suppose I will become accustomed to it in time

I have a CX 5 with electric parking brake, took me some time to get used to it and also to discover it does not release automatically if the driver is not wearing the seat belt, assume the 6 works in the same way

45 minutes ago, Durbanite said:

Having the auto high beam is a real advantage on rural roads.  These head up displays, is the display on the inside of the windscreen?  My train of thought is that it could also be distracting as you move your eye focus closer.  I have been been in a vehicle with this sort of toy hence the question.  Ta!  :)

The display is a small Perspex panel that rises out of the top of the dashboard, it’s pretty much just below your line of sight and focussed in the distance  so much easier to look at then having  to look down at the speedo. It’s much easier to see in practice than appears in the picture, plus, when under way there is more info present (picture of speed limit sign that applies etc) 

12 minutes ago, terve said:

I have a CX 5 with electric parking brake, took me some time to get used to it and also to discover it does not release automatically if the driver is not wearing the seat belt, assume the 6 works in the same way

Yep, exactly the same but you CAN release it by pressing on the brake pedal and then pressing the release button. I tinkered for a while to discover that’s as I didn’t fancy having to put my seat belt on every time I wanted to manoeuvre on the drive (or campsite whilst hitching, the reversing camera makes that a doddle!) 

Andy

750AA6E3-BD30-4B29-B978-242C546BF61C.jpeg

• Thanks 1

On the flip side of this question, our Son sold a van on eBay just as lockdown hit. The buyer lives in Ireland, clearly a trader, who paid a nice deposit but hasn’t been able to come over yet to collect it.  He buys 2 or 3 then comes over with a transporter vehicle to collect them. In the meantime it’s taking up room in our garage! 

2019 Ford Kuga 2. 0 (150 bhp) AWD Manual and 2017 Coachman Pastiche 565.

5 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

The display is a small Perspex panel that rises out of the top of the dashboard, it’s pretty much just below your line of sight and focussed in the distance  so much easier to look at then having  to look down at the speedo. It’s much easier to see in practice than appears in the picture, plus, when under way there is more info present (picture of speed limit sign that applies etc) 

Yep, exactly the same but you CAN release it by pressing on the brake pedal and then pressing the release button. I tinkered for a while to discover that’s as I didn’t fancy having to put my seat belt on every time I wanted to manoeuvre on the drive (or campsite whilst hitching, the reversing camera makes that a doddle!) 

Andy

750AA6E3-BD30-4B29-B978-242C546BF61C.jpeg

That's an unusual head up displaying it's like an aftermarket one that I saw. The one in my BMW and others that I have seen/used project on to the windscreen but make it appear like the information is floating above you bonnet. With the BM one you can move it vertically/horizontally to get it just right so it does not obscure your view. I agree with you Andy that it is a nice thing to have along with the other numerous safety aids on modern cars. Although a 2014 model my car has lane assist, active cruise control, adaptive lights, blind spot and a tricky thing called traffic assist where the car will not only brake and accelerate when the car in front reacts but also steer (as long as you are doing less than @25 miles per hour & have at least one finger on the steering wheel) keeping the car in it's lane no matter if the motorway is straight or bendy. Not bad for 6 year old car! Anyway I now await my new car later this week as it's time for the BM to go to new pastures.

2020 Swift Eccles 650 towed by Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 4.4

"What doesn't kill you only makes you stronger!"

A lot of my mates in the motor trade are doing great business during the lock-down. Stock is cheap, demand is high. 

Posted (edited)

The HUD as in the above picture seems to be the norm as I see lots of other makes (Peugeot/Citroen etc) with a similar set up (the pop up Perspex screen) 

I did have one of the aftermarket HUD’s in my last car that projected onto the screen BUT it was necessary to apply a small reflective (see thru) sticker to the screen in order to reflect the display. In bright sunlight even that wasn’t really enough though. 

More than happy with the current set-up, it’s vastly superior to the aftermarket one I did have. It’s also adjustable so you can get the display exactly where you want it. 

Andy

Edited by Mr Plodd

Not a car but a bike, bought it of the internet 2 weeks ago, paid buy BACS and had a transport company deliver it, the V5c in my name arrived from the DVLA before the bike did.

Unfortunately because of lock down I couldn't take it out for a blast, so I started to take a few bits off for cleaning.

The danger of time on your hands; the bike is now in a thousand pieces, but now just started to rebuild it.  

Eng_in_Frame.jpg

Engine.jpg

In Transit.jpg

• Like 2

Love the bike Joebloggs, can you tell us a little bit more about it?

I have the same problem myself when it comes to doing a 'little' bit of cleaning up on a bike, but such a good feeling knowing that it has been put back together properly with all the necessary maintenance issues dealt with.

I never  get the money back for the time I put into them, but I don't do it for the money :D.

Sorry Joe, I could only press 'LIKE' once, not 10 times . . . . . . . . 

• I agree completely 2