Alko Hitchlock

Gill M

I have lost the key to my Alko Hitchlock. My son tried to drill out the lock but just snapped the drill bit. Any help very welcome!

It would not be a good idea to publicise methods for defeating one of these locks.

Alko should be able to advise, or any experiences locksmith.

BOTH keys? 

Careless.

A previous thread with the same problem 

2 hours ago, Stevan said:

It would not be a good idea to publicise methods for defeating one of these locks.

Alko should be able to advise, or any experiences locksmith.

Less of an issue than looking on YouTube. 

We used to get so many DIY attempts brought into the shop with half the plug drilled out, Creating even more hassle for us.  

Angle grinder should make light work of it, i can't imagine it putting up much of a fight

And then goodbye Hitchlok and over a hundred for a new one? 

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

41 minutes ago, clairendave said:

You don't need any powered tool.  They are next to useless for actual security. 

Indeed. Useful if the insurance company insist on one, but naff all real security 

Sounds hopeful that an expert will be able to remove it. I have a wheel clamp so will stick with that if Hitchlock has to be destroyed.

First thing to realise that if somebody is determined to steal YOUR caravan they will be able to do so, it’s just a question of how long it takes them.

No security device is unbeatable, but what they CAN do  (and are primarily designed for) is to act as deterrent. Anyone up to nefarious activity, quite naturally, wants to expose themselves to discovery for as short a time as possible. So, by fitting a number of security devices to a caravan you naturally extend the time required to steal it, thus making it a less appealing target than one with less (or no?) security devices in use. 

Why do we lock our houses when they are all fitted with glass, that can be broken fairly easily,  in all the windows?  

Like I said no security device is perfect at preventing a theft, they are merely devices that delay the actual act. 

If the OP tried to drill the lock out, and the snapped drill bit is still in the lock barrel then I, like others one here, am of the opinion that it’s time to attack the lock body itself with an angle grinder. It’s a noisy and time consuming job which simply demonstrates my assertion that such things are certainly not unbeatable but ARE effective deterrents because of the time it takes to defeat them. 

Andy

p.s. I have two keys for my hitch lock and one is on my car key ring so if towing I KNOW I have the Hitchcock key. The reason being that I always use the lock when towing. And yes I AM aware of the various “opinions” on the subject and I am more than happy with my choice to use it thus, so let’s NOT re-visit that particular bone of contention eh? 

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

If the van is locked at home, and if the key is needed to lock it, the key must be at home somewhere.

Just have a VERY good look for it, even in the most unlikely of places.

Ask St. Anthony for his help in finding the key.

You may not believe in such things, but I have found that the lost item is found very soon after asking, usually in a place that you have already looked, but not looked properly!

Worth a try, but will be to no advantage if the lock is now damaged and cannot be unlocked with  the key.

Many years ago, when my van was stored in a farmyard, there was an attempted theft.

Bear in mind the van was about 10 metres from the farmhouse, and in full view.

The hitch lock and wheel clamp were chiselled off in short order - this is pre-battery grinder days.

What stopped the van from going was a bit of tin that I'd bent to go over the corner steady thread under the van, with a couple of holes for a cheap padlock. Cost of a pound or two. Messy to put on and off though!

Rather than the feeble security it displayed,  it was something out of the ordinary, so they did a runner. 

As it's "always in the last place you would expect it to be", look there first !

Good luck with removing the lock.

Steve the local locksmith has managed to remove the Hitchlock just need to get a replacement lock. It took him a while but managed it in the end. As Mr Plodd says the security devices we have are a deterrent and a determined thief could overcome most of them I think. I will be very careful with the new keys!