stupid comment

11 hours ago, Silversurf said:

Nope the word states simply racism, no mention of which races, minority or majority doesn't come into it at all, why should it ?

One race against one race, many races against one race, one race against many races and every other permutations and it is surprising how many races that pull the race card at the slightest whim are totally hypocritical when the boots on the other foot !

but the racist card is used for everything now a day.

I seems that the race-card is being played more and more.  As far as I'm concerned we are all equal UK citizens no matter the colour of our skin.  There are many reasons why some people are becoming infected by the virus but the colour of their skin is NOT one of them. 

On 01/05/2020 at 16:18, JCloughie said:

Thanks, amazing how one word can so change the context and take others in a strange direction.

John

I must need new glasses because I can't see the R word anywhere.  What's BAME mean anyway?  Confused?  I certainly am.  Must ask nurse to tuck me in.

45 minutes ago, rovinmad said:

I must need new glasses because I can't see the R word anywhere.  What's BAME mean anyway?  Confused?  I certainly am.  Must ask nurse to tuck me in.

The original posting has been edited and the word removed.

BAME = Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic

1 hour ago, bessacarr425 said:

I seems that the race-card is being played more and more.  As far as I'm concerned we are all equal UK citizens no matter the colour of our skin.  There are many reasons why some people are becoming infected by the virus but the colour of their skin is NOT one of them. 

The evidence is otherwise - that BAME individuals are more likely to die from Covid-19 than white Europeans - but it's not clear whether it's genetic, cultural or economic.

At a rough quess, and it is only my opinon, as other nationalities tend to live in a larger family unit then the risk of infection must surley go up.

5 minutes ago, AndyPoole said:

At a rough quess, and it is only my opinon, as other nationalities tend to live in a larger family unit then the risk of infection must surley go up.

That is one factor among other reason, the good thing about other nationalities they do not abandon their own older relative to be looked after in care home by someone else.

15 minutes ago, AndyPoole said:

5 minutes ago, oldboy said:

That is one factor among other reason, the good thing about other nationalities they do not abandon their own older relative to be looked after in care home by someone else.

On Newsnight they interviewed a world recognised doctor.  Worked in war zones and Ebola amongst other things.  He painted a very dismal picture about the parts of the world which up until now have been less infected.  He predicts that due to the reasons that you two have given plus many others like poor sanitation, distances, transport, lack of hospitals etc.  What we have seen thus far in the West is nothing.  He was calling upon western countries to be prepared as such an massive pandemic will have a worldwide affect.  He wants to see the west start preparation, coordination and help, now.  He says Ebola was fought well as there was some worldwide leadership coming from America.  That is now a thing of the past and he thinks that the best person to take on the role would be Mr Milliband. (Not sure that would suit everyone).

John

Volvo V70 D3 SE (was Peugeot 4007, SsangYong Korando), Pulling a Lunar Clubman SI 2015. If you are depressed, you are living in the past. If you are anxious, you are living in the future. If you are at peace, you are living in the present.

18 minutes ago, JCloughie said:

he thinks that the best person to take on the role would be Mr Milliband. (Not sure that would suit everyone).

John

He has massive respect throughout the world as CEO of the IRC.  With perhaps the exception of Trump who respects none who disagree with him.

Yeti 2.0TDi EU6 150 DSG 4X4 L&K, Octavia TSi Manual, Fabia TSi DSG, Swift Challenger.

40 minutes ago, oldboy said:

Very true as people in Western nations tend to abandon elderly relatives.  In the Indian communities in South Africa they would all chip in to build a huge house like a mansion and all live under the same roof. 

Africans are slightly different in that members of the same family and this includes distant uncles and aunts looking after one another in their kraal or home. 

Why are so many Western people so anti looking after elderly relatives or is it just common to Britain? 

9 minutes ago, Durbanite said:

Why are so many Western people so anti looking after elderly relatives or is it just common to Britain? 

It does appear to more so in the UK.

I've read that one of the reasons for the high death toll in Spain and Italy was because of the large family groups.

My guess is that both partners have to work in the UK (and USA) to keep up their desired standard of living, therefore aren't in a position to look after elderly family members.

6 minutes ago, Durbanite said:

I bought my Parents a retirement Bungalow close to my own house. Sadly my Dad died of cancer after just 18 months in it. My Mum's been in there 4 years now, she doesn't have to worry about rent or maintenance, we are close by and she still has her independence. 

Even at 78, She wouldn't want to live under the same roof, she did that for a time after my Dad passed but she likes to do her own thing and have her own space. The property and proximity means she has support if needed and more disposable income to do as she pleases.

Currently she's in self isolation so I'm delivering all supplies to the doorstep.

So I think that is a cultural thing and we look after our parents in different ways.

But on the flip side we do have some other relatives who have their Parents in assisted accommodation and are still pulling money from them.

Yeti 2.0TDi EU6 150 DSG 4X4 L&K, Octavia TSi Manual, Fabia TSi DSG, Swift Challenger.

2 minutes ago, Lost in France said:

I've read that one of the reasons for the high death toll in Spain and Italy was because of the large family groups.

Hi, we have discussed this as the 'inclusive family group' is something we have noted over the years in both countries.

It has always seemed to us a positive thing but we have speculated that it must mean that family members live in close proximity which may be one of the reason that its not as prevalent here?

7 minutes ago, Lost in France said:

It does appear to more so in the UK.

My guess is that both partners have to work in the UK (and USA) to keep up their desired standard of living, therefore aren't in a position to look after elderly family members.

In the Indian society the elderly would do all the household chores like cleaning and cooking.  They then got replaced by the next elderly generation in that family.  Seem to work quite well for them. 

The other positive aspect is that they can save a lot of money.

Edited by Durbanite

24 minutes ago, Durbanite said:

I wonder if there is any data by country and their workforce 'mobility' i.e. does work/job location move us away from birthplace area and therefore, away from parents etc.  More prevalent in UK?

4 minutes ago, SamD said:

I wonder if there is any data by country and their workforce 'mobility' i.e. does work/job location move us away from birthplace area and therefore, away from parents etc.  More prevalent in UK?

I can only speak for my personal experience but my four kids live in quite different parts of the UK, none anywhere near where they were brought up.

In my small village in Brittany, apart from us and two other households* all the residents are from with 10 km.

* one household are the parents of the residents of the other.

47 minutes ago, Lost in France said:

I can only speak for my personal experience but my four kids live in quite different parts of the UK, none anywhere near where they were brought up.

In my small village in Brittany, apart from us and two other households* all the residents are from with 10 km.

* one household are the parents of the residents of the other.

I have similar experience from when I lived in Belgium.  The Government provided a grant and/or an interest-free loan with certain criteria, one of which was to build/convert your house to accommodate 3 generations.