We are looking at buying a static on a site in Yorkshire

4 hours ago, Spike said:

Thanks Scorpio that sounds ideal we like visiting the Lakes and having a static as a base would really bring the more northern and western parts of them into our range for a day trip. The ability to allow our kids to go and spend time up there as well would be a real bonus and something that they would enjoy doing as we regularly took them up that way as they grew up and they loved it too

Some things to check with your potential sites are that family (and/or friends) are allowed to stay, and whether you have to be there as well or if they can use it independently.

Also check that if you give up the van whether your kids can inherit and use it. Some places have quite draconian rules about only owners can use the van.

Also, depending on your viewpoint, find out whether there are age limits - you may want grandchildren to stay, alternatively you may not want people's grandchildren staying

Is hiring out is allowed - it can change the atmosphere of a park if owners are surrounded by hirers. 

Be very wary of any holiday park that seems to have people living full time - 2 reasons, one is that the atmosphere may become a bit frosty between holiday owners and people who have moved in full time, and the other is that if the park owner is turning a blind eye to people breaking the site licence by living there, then other breaches will also be ignored.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

That is a length of string question. Working on the assumption that you are wondering about a static on a licensed holiday park, not one on your own land and not a residential park home: the

Could a tourer on a seasonal pitch be a cheaper option?  If it doesn't suit it would be much easier to sell or move to a different place.

A static is (or should be) purchased for the enjoyment of using it, not with the resale value in mind. Anyone buying should regard the money they pay for it as gone forever as soon as they hand i

27 minutes ago, Paul1957 said:

We used to be 115 miles and 2 hours away but have since moved house and now it is 185 miles and 4 hours including a quick services stop. Too far really now so when we do go stay there longer but effectively 2 days are lost to travelling. On our site the entrance/exit barrier is closed between 11pm and 7am so you would need to check with your chosen site if thinking of wanting to arrive around 4am since you would not be popular. Parking of your motorhome might also need a larger than normal parking area so something to ask about and check the access roads are wide enough to and on the site.

On the site wi-fi is included but can be slow and mobile phone reception is poor. There are only a few tv channels. This is normal for the Lake District but I do not go there for these things and when it is raining there are always jobs to do.

Thanks Paul, yes if the site has sort of locked in or out times would be of our questions although arriving at say 7am would not be an issue we do service station hop a fair bit and get a 2 hour slot of kip when travelling fair distances so we can pop into one on the M6 to push the arrival times back. The parking will need to be looked at perhaps if the space at the static is too small they may have parking close by large enough

one thing I was thinking was to ask we  could perhaps leave a car onsite to nip out and about locally in, as you know some towns are not easy to park a MH in

We use the wifi for things like radio stations and reading the newpapers as like yourselves we are not into the TV when we are away we don't even have one in the MH.

So after all your helpful replies my initial  question changed to-

When we have found the right site for ourselves and are happy with the fees etc should we start with a cheaper unit or use our full budget and get a newer/bigger unit straight off?

OUR CONCLUSION

So through your replies we have decided that when we have made a decision about the site, cost of the fees etc etc then we will hire a static on that site for 3 midweeks,we won't get a chance this summer so perhaps one in Autumn  and one or two in winter one before and one after Christmas or 1 in early spring and try out the site at probably its coldest,darkest & wettest times and if all is still good with the choice we made take the decision to commit to purchase our own static within our full budget in time to start using it around mid April next year as we are booked into sites for a trip up to Scotland (Falkirk) and then we can make our very 1st stopover in it

We would like to thank you all for your very helpful input, they really have helped, and I hope anyone else who comes on this forum in times to come may also benefit from this post and its replies

Sounds like a sensible plan, good luck to you for the future.

Thanks for updating us. Hope it all goes well for you.

(I really wish everybody was as sensible as you about research and looking at all angles).

Well thank YOU for bothering to come back and update everyone. Many don’t bother! 

I hope you enjoy your purchase as much as possible. 

Andy

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

Good luck Spike.

Hope it all works out for you,and as Mr Plodd said,thanks for coming back.👍

• 5 months later...

Hi Everyone, a final update as of Oct 1st. We have done as we planned and finally ended up buying a static in Yorkshire which we are very pleased with, the wait was worth it as it ticks every box. I know we are still dealing with Covid but it was too good an opportunity to risk missing out on. Looking to spend a week in it in about a fortnights time 

10 minutes ago, Spike said:

Hi Everyone, a final update as of Oct 1st. We have done as we planned and finally ended up buying a static in Yorkshire which we are very pleased with, the wait was worth it as it ticks every box. I know we are still dealing with Covid but it was too good an opportunity to risk missing out on. Looking to spend a week in it in about a fortnights time 

Great news Spike, whereabouts did you choose?

I’m sure you won’t regret it spike. Sounds like you did all the research and know the area.

I absolutely and sincerely hope that the new lockdown regulations which we’ll all find out about on Monday won’t scupper your plans.

We live up north but our static is down south and we’re wondering how it will impact us, we may just have to bite the bullet and do and quick there and back next week and close our static down for the season.

All the very best to you, hope you have many, many happy years 😊

On 29/04/2020 at 15:46, 2seaside said:

If you buy an older static, make sure you know - in writing - how long you will be allowed to keep it on site before you have to renew it.

Sites that tell you that they have no age limit as long as the static is kept tidy frequently have either no written contract, or a contract that is renewed each year, and a change of management policy can mean all vans over a certain age have to be removed - so anyone with an older van, no matter how tidy, has to either upgrade or vacate.

Sensible advice but frequently these sites change hands and a new operator changes the rules.

Safest option would be to assume at 15 years there's a chance you'll need to renew. 

14 hours ago, Cyrus said:

Sensible advice but frequently these sites change hands and a new operator changes the rules.

Safest option would be to assume at 15 years there's a chance you'll need to renew. 

If a site is sold on as a going concern with already owned and sited vans, I would think that the existing contracts should still be valid until the stated expiry date.

The length of time a van can be sited, along with resale conditions, commission, etc., should be included in the contract.

The site rules are usually separate, and probably only form part of the contract under the words  "site rules must be obeyed", without specifying what they are, so on holiday parks both the existing and the new owner can change rules as they want.

So if the time for a van to stay on site is not specified in the contract, a new owner could, in theory, eject even a van that was only a few months old.

Of course, if the holiday park owner goes bust and gets taken over, then the new owner can probably tear up the contracts as well as the rules.

• 6 months later...

Hi, 

We can definitely recommend buying a lower priced caravan, we bought ours 3 yrs ago within your price bracket and have loved it.

The depreciation on newer caravans is ridiculous and something we couldn’t afford as a family when we upgraded from a tourer. Another thing that made a difference was the decking was already included which can costs thousands on a new one.

If you’re interested, we are about to put ours up for sale within your price bracket with this years site fees included (til Nov). The kids are growing up (13 & 11) and want different holidays rather than weekend breaks at the caravan and school holidays there. We’re on a beautiful site in Yorkshire (Gallaber Park), near skipton. We bought it with a view of keeping it for the 20 years they specify in the T&C’s (1/1/2028) - they have increased it to 21 yrs due to the effect of Covid but i don’t believe that year is transferable to a new owner.

Please don’t take these comments as me just trying to sell our caravan, we would thoroughly recommend it and buying used and have had years of relaxing breaks in our bolt hole! We haven’t listed it for sale yet, if you do want any details just to have a look at what you get for your money let me know.

• 4 weeks later...
On 08/10/2020 at 13:37, Dave Capiro owner said:

Great news Spike, whereabouts did you choose?

Hi David sorry for the delay in replying, we ended up at Bowland Fell near Settle and really enjoying it