We are looking at buying a static on a site in Yorkshire

21 hours ago, Durbanite said:

Read as many topics as possible in this sub-forum and you may notice a number of people not happy that they bought a static.  Do your homework and do it again!

Oops sorry Durbanite  but I seem to have erased your message about having a static is like flushing 40K slowly down the toilet 

I would be interested in some more info as to your thoughts to why this is, have you got or had a static and regret doing so?

18 hours ago, Dave Capiro owner said:

Hi Spike

Last year we went to the Warfdale CMC site, adjoining this is the Long Ashes Park, very near Grassington. Not sure if you've been there before but if not then worth a look, seemed very nice to me and an ideal location.

https://www.longashespark.co.uk/

Thank you for that David we shall look at this 

16 hours ago, Scorpio said:

We had a static at Honeycott caravan park at Hawes, nice quiet site, wonderful views and not too far from Settle.  They have used vans for sale.

Good luck with your searching.

Thanks for the reply Scorpio you say you had a static did you use it a lot and feel it was worth having

13 hours ago, WispMan said:

Skipton is a lovely town for a day out and a lovely area. 

It is a lovely part of the country 

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

That is a length of string question. Working on the assumption that you are wondering about a static on a licensed holiday park, not one on your own land and not a residential park home: the

Could a tourer on a seasonal pitch be a cheaper option?  If it doesn't suit it would be much easier to sell or move to a different place.

A static is (or should be) purchased for the enjoyment of using it, not with the resale value in mind. Anyone buying should regard the money they pay for it as gone forever as soon as they hand i

47 minutes ago, Spike said:

Oops sorry Durbanite  but I seem to have erased your message about having a static is like flushing 40K slowly down the toilet 

Unfortunately for some reason some of my posts are being removed without any reason being given so not your fault.

Very good close friends of ours had two statics.  The first one they had to sell back to the park owner and made a loss.  This was due to a Change of Ownership.  They then bought another static on what looked to be a solid site however 2 years later they were forced to sell the static also due to change of ownership and the new owners who were former travellers did not want that type of static on their site as they wanted park homes for retirees.  Again they made a huge loss.  In essence they flush well over £40k down the drain.  Although this happened about 15 - 20 years ago things have not changed that much. 

Another good friend and her husband bought a static in Brean near Weston, but sadly he died about two years ago.  She got a fraction of the price that they had paid for the static and they had only owned the static for about 3 - 4 years

So be very, very careful.

Edited by Durbanite

One of our neighbours dad works on a static site and he told us that there is van for sale on site that’s had 4 owners and the sites price for it has not dropped below what the first people got when they sold it back to the site.  Gives you an idea what you’re going to get for a van if you have to sell.

1 hour ago, Odd days said:

One of our neighbours dad works on a static site and he told us that there is van for sale on site that’s had 4 owners and the sites price for it has not dropped below what the first people got when they sold it back to the site.  Gives you an idea what you’re going to get for a van if you have to sell.

A static is (or should be) purchased for the enjoyment of using it, not with the resale value in mind.

Anyone buying should regard the money they pay for it as gone forever as soon as they hand it over, then there wil be no disappointments later.

There are many people who own static vans, and get an immense amount of enjoyment from them, just as there are many people who bought statics, possibly without taking all the downsides into consideration, and bitterly regret it.  Neither side is right or wrong, it all depends on your expectations.

Owning a static is never going to be a cheap option, as once you have purchased it you are committed to all the extra costs that come with it - pitch fee, insurance, maintenance, utilities etc - so it needs to be carefully considered whether the enjoyment will outweigh the time and expense.

A rule of thumb is, get the area right, then the park right, then the location on the park, and the actual static is the last consideration.

Any park you are considering - Talk to as many existing owners as you can find to find out what it is like there.

2 hours ago, Spike said:

It was an off the cuff unhelpful quip that contributed nothing to the topic, so was removed by a moderator.

Jaguar E-Pace 180D HSE R Dynamic - 2008 Swift Conqueror 540

"Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan Talk"

43 minutes ago, 2seaside said:

A static is (or should be) purchased for the enjoyment of using it, not with the resale value in mind.

Anyone buying should regard the money they pay for it as gone forever as soon as they hand it over, then there wil be no disappointments later.

There are many people who own static vans, and get an immense amount of enjoyment from them, just as there are many people who bought statics, possibly without taking all the downsides into consideration, and bitterly regret it.  Neither side is right or wrong, it all depends on your expectations.

Owning a static is never going to be a cheap option, as once you have purchased it you are committed to all the extra costs that come with it - pitch fee, insurance, maintenance, utilities etc - so it needs to be carefully considered whether the enjoyment will outweigh the time and expense.

A rule of thumb is, get the area right, then the park right, then the location on the park, and the actual static is the last consideration.

Any park you are considering - Talk to as many existing owners as you can find to find out what it is like there.

:goodpost:

I completely agree with the above. A static should only be bought with money you do not need and are quite happy to not get any of it back. Once this is accepted you need to make sure it is in an area you want to visit for many weeks of the year and will never get bored with the area. If not sure then many of the sites rent them out for holidays so would be a lower cost option and some also have areas for touring caravans/motorhomes so you could use your own outfit for the odd holiday. This could also be done a few times to see if you are happy to want to buy on a site.

We use a static on a Camping and Caravanning Club site in the Lake District at Keswick. The area was chosen since one of my hobbies is hill walking and from the site you can use buses to get around for walks or just walk straight from the site so a car rarely gets used. The location is important being next to the town for the shops and buses. I would not want to be in the middle of nowhere and have to drive everywhere, I would not be interested in having a static anywhere else. Prior to the static we had many holidays in our touring caravan at sites in Keswick so knew the area was right. In normal times we spend around 10 weeks a year there so costs could be similar to if we stayed in self catering or a hotel. We still have the  caravan though and whilst it does not get full use, it is used to visit other areas.

On 29/04/2020 at 12:34, Durbanite said:

Read as many topics as possible in this sub-forum and you may notice a number of people not happy that they bought a static.  Do your homework and do it again!

Yup and at least two family members rue the day they bought statics on the Yorkshire coast.

The one at Filey site fees were always going up plus endless demands for more money from the site owners.

However statics appear to be very popular so I am forced to conclude that many owners appear satisfied with their expensive perishable asset.

Another alternative .........

Take the money you are looking at spending on a static and see how many weeks of renting a static van that could get you. 

You wont have any of the fixed costs such as site fees, insurance, maintenance etc so that’s an additional annual amount of money to add to your capital. You will not suffer any depreciation and neither will you have the worry of whether it survives a storm etc.

In addition you will have the flexibility of staying on different sites in different locations rather than always returning to the same one. 

I would think VERY long and hard before buying one, many seem to and then end up regretting it.

Do you REALLY plan on driving from Dorset all the way up to Yorkshire to stay for just a few days at a time and then driving all the way back? Think how much that will cost you in fuel alone! 

Your money your choice but I would counsel you to be ruled by your head NOT your heart so you don’t end up buying in haste and repenting at leisure. 

Andy

Another option is to use the money to upgrade your Motorhome. 

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

4 hours ago, Spike said:

Thanks for the reply Scorpio you say you had a static did you use it a lot and feel it was worth having

Hi, we had the van for a few years but generally used it mainly at weekends, due to working during the week.  The site was very good and the van was great.  It was a good base for day trips to the Lake District, west coast etc.  We considered it to be good value for money, especially as our family could use it whenever they liked.  We eventually sold it as we wanted to return to touring for a few years and visit different parts of the UK.

I would think about 1.5 hours from home for a static is enough, Friday nights might be longer. You have to think of finishing work getting home, load up and go plus travel time. You might just be knackered and fall in to bed when you get there, then reverse on Sunday.

21 hours ago, Durbanite said:

Unfortunately for some reason some of my posts are being removed without any reason being given so not your fault.

Very good close friends of ours had two statics.  The first one they had to sell back to the park owner and made a loss.  This was due to a Change of Ownership.  They then bought another static on what looked to be a solid site however 2 years later they were forced to sell the static also due to change of ownership and the new owners who were former travellers did not want that type of static on their site as they wanted park homes for retirees.  Again they made a huge loss.  In essence they flush well over £40k down the drain.  Although this happened about 15 - 20 years ago things have not changed that much. 

Another good friend and her husband bought a static in Brean near Weston, but sadly he died about two years ago.  She got a fraction of the price that they had paid for the static and they had only owned the static for about 3 - 4 years

So be very, very careful.

Thanks for that Durbanite a cautionary tale to take on board

21 hours ago, Odd days said:

Thanks Odd days, we are certainly looking hard at the statics on the sites that interest us

just being nosy, how much does it cost to site a static , ground rent, utilities and anything else I haven't thought of ?

Inlaws pay 4 grand a year, £65 for the gas bottles, electric and insurance I don’t know. If you have decking etc done outside it has to be done by the site. The bigger lodges are paying 5 and half grand upwards and it’s not all year round occupancy.

21 hours ago, 2seaside said:

Thanks 2Seaside yes agreed its not something we are looking to make any money on we know it will be the other way if anything

20 hours ago, Paul1957 said:

:goodpost:

I completely agree with the above. A static should only be bought with money you do not need and are quite happy to not get any of it back. Once this is accepted you need to make sure it is in an area you want to visit for many weeks of the year and will never get bored with the area. If not sure then many of the sites rent them out for holidays so would be a lower cost option and some also have areas for touring caravans/motorhomes so you could use your own outfit for the odd holiday. This could also be done a few times to see if you are happy to want to buy on a site.

We use a static on a Camping and Caravanning Club site in the Lake District at Keswick. The area was chosen since one of my hobbies is hill walking and from the site you can use buses to get around for walks or just walk straight from the site so a car rarely gets used. The location is important being next to the town for the shops and buses. I would not want to be in the middle of nowhere and have to drive everywhere, I would not be interested in having a static anywhere else. Prior to the static we had many holidays in our touring caravan at sites in Keswick so knew the area was right. In normal times we spend around 10 weeks a year there so costs could be similar to if we stayed in self catering or a hotel. We still have the  caravan though and whilst it does not get full use, it is used to visit other areas.

Thanks Paul, how far are you travelling to visit your static

20 hours ago, ancell said:

Yup and at least two family members rue the day they bought statics on the Yorkshire coast.

The one at Filey site fees were always going up plus endless demands for more money from the site owners.

However statics appear to be very popular so I am forced to conclude that many owners appear satisfied with their expensive perishable asset.

Thanks Ancell the choice and research of it is going to be a real factor 

27 minutes ago, joanie said:

just being nosy, how much does it cost to site a static , ground rent, utilities and anything else I haven't thought of ?

That is a length of string question.

Working on the assumption that you are wondering about a static on a licensed holiday park, not one on your own land and not a residential park home:

the static is usually purchased through the park - very few sites will allow you bring on a static that they have not sold you themselves, and the ones that do will only accept statics being moved from other licensed parks, not one you have purchased from a dealer. So siting is included in the purchase price.

The actual purchase price varies dramatically, as not only the van itself is taken into consideration, so are the location and the park facilities, plus any add-ons that you get with the static. Prices can range from sub-£10,000 to over £400,000.

Pitch fees - again, vary from park to park and within the park may well vary according to the size of static and the position within the park, and the facilities that the park offers. These can range from £2,000 per year to £5,000 plus per year, usually paid in full up front and VAT applies.

Unlike residential park homes there are no legal controls over how often and how much the pitch fee can be increased, it all depends on your contract - but it is certain that it will increase, probably each year.

The park has to pay business rates, and this cost is passed on to van owners by percentage, either as part of the pitch fee or a separate bill, VAT again applies.

Water and electric are supplied via the park, electricity should be individually metered so you pay for what you use at the tariff rate paid by the park, plus a small admin feed to the park. Water/sewerage is generally a block bill to the park subdivided among the van owners.

Gas is usually LPG, and again usually individual bottles. Most parks expect you to buy the bottles from them, and unlike other utilities, there are no price controls on the resale of bottled gas.

Refuse collections are via the park, this cost should be included in your pitch fee and you have to take your rubbish to the allotted bins.

Insurance is compulsory, it depends on the park whether you have to buy their block insurance (which is frequently the best option anyway) or can shop around for your own, but will be +/- £250 pa.

The insurance will come with many clauses about drain-downs when you are not using the van, how long the van can be unoccupied and still be covered for fire,flood,theft etc., and also whether it has to be chained down or have flotation devices fitted.

The park may cut the grass around the van, or it may be your responsibility. Maintenance of the van itself, including any steps, deckings, patios etc will be your responsibility and it has to be kept clean and tidy at ll times.

19 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

Take the money you are looking at spending on a static and see how many weeks of renting a static van that could get you. 

You wont have any of the fixed costs such as site fees, insurance, maintenance etc so that’s an additional annual amount of money to add to your capital. You will not suffer any depreciation and neither will you have the worry of whether it survives a storm etc.

In addition you will have the flexibility of staying on different sites in different locations rather than always returning to the same one. 

I would think VERY long and hard before buying one, many seem to and then end up regretting it.

Do you REALLY plan on driving from Dorset all the way up to Yorkshire to stay for just a few days at a time and then driving all the way back? Think how much that will cost you in fuel alone! 

Your money your choice but I would counsel you to be ruled by your head NOT your heart so you don’t end up buying in haste and repenting at leisure. 

Andy

Thanks Mr Plodd, We would like to make a static as a home from home with our own belongings and stuff that we would us on our visits to save carrying them back and forth and over the years as our children grew we have stayed in many on the holiday park. however this would be our own little place. You point out the distance which whilst it is a fair way surely its better to pay a bit more in fuel to go to somewhere you really want to be than to a place that is cheaper to get to but is not in a area you prefer

55 minutes ago, joanie said:

As we are finding Joanie, Its varies quite a lot and some sites seem to charge for things that other sites don't 

17 minutes ago, Odd days said:

Inlaws pay 4 grand a year, £65 for the gas bottles, electric and insurance I don’t know. If you have decking etc done outside it has to be done by the site. The bigger lodges are paying 5 and half grand upwards and it’s not all year round occupancy.

Thanks Odd days, 4k is very much in the area we are allowing towards main costs

19 hours ago, Odd days said:

I would think about 1.5 hours from home for a static is enough, Friday nights might be longer. You have to think of finishing work getting home, load up and go plus travel time. You might just be knackered and fall in to bed when you get there, then reverse on Sunday.

Thanks Odd days but the hour and a half travel from Dorset gets us a around the cotswolds which is a lovely place,we visit this often but its not a place we would like to have a static. the hour and a half advice which even some of the parks suggest as well depends in my opinion on what part of the country your in, so if you live sort of midlands way you have a huge area within that time frame. From us you could reach Portsmouth in the east Exeter going west or the beach if south and having grown up near the sea I don't want to still be near it in a static and the other areas in that arc are places we can visit for a day out anyway and again not ones we would want a static at.

The journey to Skipton area in the MH takes us 5/6 hours and is always done mid week so we would leave at around 10pm on a Monday evening, I would have a few hours sleep while the missus sorts the stuff into the MH and then have a leisurely drive on the empty M5 & M6  getting to our destination around 4am Tues we then sleep for a few hours and get up at 8am ready for the 3 full days ahead before heading back  on the Thurs night at around the same sort of times and I am back at home ready for work at 7am Friday,the driving to me is not a problem I always love driving the MH even though its old

I do own a very small business and It may be that when my son takes over in a few years we may sell up and move north anyway so we would be closer to any static if we did, but that is not part of the current planning.

We don't do this trip every week, we get away for 3 days every fortnight 

20 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

We do have plans to upgrade the MH in a few years once we get settled with a static

Edited by Spike
19 hours ago, Scorpio said:

Hi, we had the van for a few years but generally used it mainly at weekends, due to working during the week.  The site was very good and the van was great.  It was a good base for day trips to the Lake District, west coast etc.  We considered it to be good value for money, especially as our family could use it whenever they liked.  We eventually sold it as we wanted to return to touring for a few years and visit different parts of the UK.

Thanks Scorpio that sounds ideal we like visiting the Lakes and having a static as a base would really bring the more northern and western parts of them into our range for a day trip. The ability to allow our kids to go and spend time up there as well would be a real bonus and something that they would enjoy doing as we regularly took them up that way as they grew up and they loved it too

2seaside, thanks for all that info, my goodness , that is a lot of money to pay out for a holiday home and  it doesn't stop there as each year you are still paying out for it, well beyond my means.  I think that I would go for a seasonal pitch .

55 minutes ago, 2seaside said:

That is a length of string question.

Working on the assumption that you are wondering about a static on a licensed holiday park, not one on your own land and not a residential park home:

the static is usually purchased through the park - very few sites will allow you bring on a static that they have not sold you themselves, and the ones that do will only accept statics being moved from other licensed parks, not one you have purchased from a dealer. So siting is included in the purchase price.

The actual purchase price varies dramatically, as not only the van itself is taken into consideration, so are the location and the park facilities, plus any add-ons that you get with the static. Prices can range from sub-£10,000 to over £400,000.

Pitch fees - again, vary from park to park and within the park may well vary according to the size of static and the position within the park, and the facilities that the park offers. These can range from £2,000 per year to £5,000 plus per year, usually paid in full up front and VAT applies.

Unlike residential park homes there are no legal controls over how often and how much the pitch fee can be increased, it all depends on your contract - but it is certain that it will increase, probably each year.

The park has to pay business rates, and this cost is passed on to van owners by percentage, either as part of the pitch fee or a separate bill, VAT again applies.

Water and electric are supplied via the park, electricity should be individually metered so you pay for what you use at the tariff rate paid by the park, plus a small admin feed to the park. Water/sewerage is generally a block bill to the park subdivided among the van owners.

Gas is usually LPG, and again usually individual bottles. Most parks expect you to buy the bottles from them, and unlike other utilities, there are no price controls on the resale of bottled gas.

Refuse collections are via the park, this cost should be included in your pitch fee and you have to take your rubbish to the allotted bins.

Insurance is compulsory, it depends on the park whether you have to buy their block insurance (which is frequently the best option anyway) or can shop around for your own, but will be +/- £250 pa.

The insurance will come with many clauses about drain-downs when you are not using the van, how long the van can be unoccupied and still be covered for fire,flood,theft etc., and also whether it has to be chained down or have flotation devices fitted.

The park may cut the grass around the van, or it may be your responsibility. Maintenance of the van itself, including any steps, deckings, patios etc will be your responsibility and it has to be kept clean and tidy at ll times.

Your right 2seaside its real minefield out there trying to work out all the costs etc 

I get the impression that you have already made up your mind no matter what is posted on the thread?  :D  Hope you have made the correct decision and enjoy your static.

I do feel that Spike is and has looked at most of the details of static ownership. And that is not always the case on this forum with some people jumping in without doing their homework. 

The answers here will assist Spike with his homework amd help to make his decision. The thread could also be useful to others in the future. 

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

Just one addition when looking at costs, many sites charge extra for wifi, if you need it.  When choosing a site, it is also worth checking the mibile phone coverage, some sites are in bad reception areas.

3 hours ago, Durbanite said:

I get the impression that you have already made up your mind no matter what is posted on the thread?  :D  Hope you have made the correct decision and enjoy your static.

Hello again Durdanite, it is correct to say that we have made up our minds about getting a static and the general area we are looking at,  it is as my opening post asked should we start  with a cheaper older model or just go all in with our budget and having received and read every reply, that you good people have done, we certainly have been given some very good advice and learnt about some things/issues that we were probably not aware of and so had not taken into account

3 hours ago, WispMan said:

I do feel that Spike is and has looked at most of the details of static ownership. And that is not always the case on this forum with some people jumping in without doing their homework. 

The answers here will assist Spike with his homework and help to make his decision. The thread could also be useful to others in the future. 

Thank you WispMan you are right we have been given some good advice and some interesting points to ponder for what is a fairly big decision 

1 hour ago, Scorpio said:

Just one addition when looking at costs, many sites charge extra for wifi, if you need it.  When choosing a site, it is also worth checking the mibile phone coverage, some sites are in bad reception areas.

Thank you Scorpion this again was one of the things we had noticed that varies some sites charge flat rate or by usage were as a couple of others lump it all in the fees. The mobile phone signal is something we have often been caught out with when with the MH ! get on a site then find absolutely no signal and the site offering none either

4 hours ago, Spike said:

Thanks Paul, how far are you travelling to visit your static

We used to be 115 miles and 2 hours away but have since moved house and now it is 185 miles and 4 hours including a quick services stop. Too far really now so when we do go stay there longer but effectively 2 days are lost to travelling. On our site the entrance/exit barrier is closed between 11pm and 7am so you would need to check with your chosen site if thinking of wanting to arrive around 4am since you would not be popular. Parking of your motorhome might also need a larger than normal parking area so something to ask about and check the access roads are wide enough to and on the site.

On the site wi-fi is included but can be slow and mobile phone reception is poor. There are only a few tv channels. This is normal for the Lake District but I do not go there for these things and when it is raining there are always jobs to do.