We are looking at buying a static on a site in Yorkshire

Hi All

My wife and I currently tour with our motorhome,old but reliable (the motorhome not the wife) we live in Dorset but always come north, I was born in Yorkshire and lived there till I was 5 before we moved south, and we love visiting Yorkshire. So the purpose of this message is that we are looking at buying a static on a site in Yorkshire that we can visit in the MH at least twice a month for 3 days at a time would you people suggest a cheap one 10 to 15000 to see how we get on or go with our budget of 50000 and take the plunge 

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

That is a length of string question. Working on the assumption that you are wondering about a static on a licensed holiday park, not one on your own land and not a residential park home: the

Could a tourer on a seasonal pitch be a cheaper option?  If it doesn't suit it would be much easier to sell or move to a different place.

A static is (or should be) purchased for the enjoyment of using it, not with the resale value in mind. Anyone buying should regard the money they pay for it as gone forever as soon as they hand i

Hi spike.

Having owned 2 statics in the past 14 years,(and this is just my own personal opinions),I would go for the cheaper option.

If you spend £50k. plus and a few years down the line you decide you dont like it,your going to suffer a bit hit when you come to sell it.

There's also the cost of annual site fees,heating,electric etc.. to consider.

Im sure there will be others on here with more information.

Whatever you decide though,good luck.

Edited by George&Ade
Missed words

https://www.southcliff.co.uk/

My parents have had caravan on this site In Bridlington since 1995. My mam died in January but dad is keeping the caravan as he is a member of the nearby boat club and he stays there before he goes fishing.

Its a nice site but like a lot of sites along the coast the site fees are quite expensive. 
I think they paid around £30000 for the static they have on there now but you can spend a lot more.

Could a tourer on a seasonal pitch be a cheaper option?  If it doesn't suit it would be much easier to sell or move to a different place.

27 minutes ago, hymermad said:

We had looked that option but as we already run a motorhome we want the larger space  etc of a static so it has the look and feel more of a home rather than being in a caravan or motorhome

Edited by Spike
6 minutes ago, hymermad said:

Doing it this way also means that you are not at the mercy of fickle static owners, not all of them though.

On some static sites you can't simply sell it on to someone else when you no longer use it, it has to be sold to the site owner at a loss who then sells it on to the new holidaymaker at a nice profit.

A nice fixed bed tourer may suit you better as Hymer says on a seasonal pitch with local storage,  this would also allow you to easily move your Yorkshire base to a new area  if you wished.

19 minutes ago, George&Ade said:

Hi spike.

Having owned 2 statics in the past 14 years,(and this is just my own personal opinions),I would go for the cheaper option.

If you spend £50k. plus and a few years down the line you decide you dont like it,your going to suffer a bit hit when you come to sell it.

There's also the cost of annual site fees,heating,electric etc.. to consider.

Im sure there will be others on here with more information.

Whatever you decide though,good luck.

Thank you for the reply, That is my main feeling too, we obviously enjoy being in a caravan/motorhome environment but its a big step to have one 250 miles away and only seeing it for a week a month. I think we would really enjoy having and using it but just not sure if we should go all in straight away

22 minutes ago, Borussia 1900 said:

https://www.southcliff.co.uk/

My parents have had caravan on this site In Bridlington since 1995. My mam died in January but dad is keeping the caravan as he is a member of the nearby boat club and he stays there before he goes fishing.

Its a nice site but like a lot of sites along the coast the site fees are quite expensive. 
I think they paid around £30000 for the static they have on there now but you can spend a lot more.

Thank you for that, I followed the link and a nice little site however a lot further east than we are looking at

My F.i.l owned 2 statics from new, they were sited in Cornwall and when he came to finally sell due to illness he took a big hit. They are great, providing the site is good and you have like minded  owners around you but should you fall unlucky it is quite a gamble. I would go along with a big tourer on a seasonal site that maybe you have to get moved by a haulage company ; that way you could reduce the type of car you need and should you not like the area/site have an option of re-locating. Whatever you decide I hope you are happy.

14 minutes ago, Silversurf said:

Doing it this way also means that you are not at the mercy of fickle static owners, not all of them though.

On some static sites you can't simply sell it on to someone else when you no longer use it, it has to be sold to the site owner at a loss who then sells it on to the new holidaymaker at a nice profit.

A nice fixed bed tourer may suit you better as Hymer says on a seasonal pitch with local storage,  this would also allow you to easily move your Yorkshire base to a new area  if you wished.

Thanks for the reply Silversurf, yes I've seen those sites that like to take their cut in all areas of the deal, We don't want to go the route of a tourer as I mentioned in my reply to Hymer, a static is our choice its just the matter of how its done 

3 minutes ago, sureflow said:

My F.i.l owned 2 statics from new, they were sited in Cornwall and when he came to finally sell due to illness he took a big hit. They are great, providing the site is good and you have like minded  owners around you but should you fall unlucky it is quite a gamble. I would go along with a big tourer on a seasonal site that maybe you have to get moved by a haulage company ; that way you could reduce the type of car you need and should you not like the area/site have an option of re-locating. Whatever you decide I hope you are happy.

Thank you for your reply and as you say getting the right site is the overall main thing, being stuck on a bad site is not an ideal scenario. The tourer option is not for us,we have ruled that out as if we had wanted to we could have just sited our MH and driven up and down to it as and when, its quite a big 6 berth one and with it only being the 2 of us we have plenty of room 

Which part of Yorkshire are you looking at, the Dales? 
Although I live in Germany and have done for 31 years I still enjoy going back home to Yorkshire 

I was also going to ask which part of Yorkshire are you thinking of. It is a big place with the coast in the east and hills in the west with many large towns in between. Once there what sort of things do you like doing since this might determine the area and whether you want to travel about a lot to visit places. Maybe you are just going to use it when travelling around in the MH as a stop over to split long trips.

Edited by Paul1957

Read as many topics as possible in this sub-forum and you may notice a number of people not happy that they bought a static.  Do your homework and do it again!

When looking at costs, each year there will be annual fees, maybe around £4k or more, insurance/gas/electric/gas safety check/repairs a few hundred, depreciation about 10% of the new static cost since they often have to be replaced every 10 to 15 years depending on the site rules. Total then in the range of £7k to £10k a year to write off. The best way to get the most of this is to use a static very frequently.

2 hours ago, Borussia 1900 said:

Which part of Yorkshire are you looking at, the Dales? 
Although I live in Germany and have done for 31 years I still enjoy going back home to Yorkshire 

Thanks for your reply, we are looking at the southern and central part of the dales sort of 20 miles radius from Settle

Edited by Spike
1 hour ago, Durbanite said:

Read as many topics as possible in this sub-forum and you may notice a number of people not happy that they bought a static.  Do your homework and do it again!

Thank you for your reply, I am reading and researching quite a lot of things at present mostly positive but some negative, We have been going through this for quite a while and whilst we are not rushing it is now something that we are looking to have in place for next year,If we are allowed out by then.

2 hours ago, Paul1957 said:

I was also going to ask which part of Yorkshire are you thinking of. It is a big place with the coast in the east and hills in the west with many large towns in between. Once there what sort of things do you like doing since this might determine the area and whether you want to travel about a lot to visit places. Maybe you are just going to use it when travelling around in the MH as a stop over to split long trips.

Thanks for your reply Paul as mentioned in above post we are looking around the Settle area/20 mile radius. As for what we like doing its a chilling out thing really a bit of walking and visiting small towns and villages. We also do see it as a stop over as we like to go to Scotland quite often and a base mid way out and back to Dorset would be handy, Our children and their families would also be able to have access to it and we have friends who live near Clitheroe so be a good place to stay not to far away to visit rather than going on a site or their driveway

1 hour ago, Paul1957 said:

When looking at costs, each year there will be annual fees, maybe around £4k or more, insurance/gas/electric/gas safety check/repairs a few hundred, depreciation about 10% of the new static cost since they often have to be replaced every 10 to 15 years depending on the site rules. Total then in the range of £7k to £10k a year to write off. The best way to get the most of this is to use a static very frequently.

Thanks again Paul, Yes the fees seem to vary so much but there are some sites that allow older statics to stay if kept up together. Whilst depreciation is a factor it is not a high one, its the taking that step to getting a static and maintaining, enjoying it and the travel up and down from Dorset and whilst we love getting away as much as we can we are just trying to decide that when we find the right site do we start with a cheaper older model  for a year or two before getting a newer better unit 

Edited by Spike
19 minutes ago, Paul1957 said:

So something like this in Long Preston would be suitable but it is not a recommendation since I have never been there. https://www.thornleyleisure.co.uk/park/gallaber-park/

Yes Paul this is actually one of the sites we have been looking at as it falls within our preferred areas and we are awaiting more details, we have visited Skipton quite a few times, lovely place

Do you have a static ?

Edited by Spike

If you buy an older static, make sure you know - in writing - how long you will be allowed to keep it on site before you have to renew it.

Sites that tell you that they have no age limit as long as the static is kept tidy frequently have either no written contract, or a contract that is renewed each year, and a change of management policy can mean all vans over a certain age have to be removed - so anyone with an older van, no matter how tidy, has to either upgrade or vacate.

Hi Spike

Last year we went to the Warfdale CMC site, adjoining this is the Long Ashes Park, very near Grassington. Not sure if you've been there before but if not then worth a look, seemed very nice to me and an ideal location.

https://www.longashespark.co.uk/

We had a static at Honeycott caravan park at Hawes, nice quiet site, wonderful views and not too far from Settle.  They have used vans for sale.

Good luck with your searching.

Skipton is a lovely town for a day out and a lovely area. 

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

18 hours ago, 2seaside said:

If you buy an older static, make sure you know - in writing - how long you will be allowed to keep it on site before you have to renew it.

Sites that tell you that they have no age limit as long as the static is kept tidy frequently have either no written contract, or a contract that is renewed each year, and a change of management policy can mean all vans over a certain age have to be removed - so anyone with an older van, no matter how tidy, has to either upgrade or vacate.

Thank you 2seaside I will take this advice on board

Edited by Spike