security paranoid?

Just a couple of miles away from us there seems to be a bit of an upsurge in crime, sheds and out buildings broken into and the like.

This could be due to anything I suppose but odd that it should occur now, and there are certain factions who are known to take advantage of a bad situation and I would say no more than that.

Any way last year a caravan was stolen up the road from us at about 11am on a busy A road where the traffic would have had to be stopped to get it off the drive and it was never recovered.

So here we are with two caravans on the drive (ours and our son's) both with wheel clamps and hitchlocks , the gates chained shut and the car parked in front.

Tomorrow I am going to remove all the wheels and put both vans on stands (his is a twin axle)

Am I being paranoid?

Last week our local allotments were broken into two petrol strimmers and two security cameras were nicked . Anything can be stolen now.

No you’re not, what ever gives you peace of mind.

Jaguar E-Pace 180D HSE R Dynamic - 2008 Swift Conqueror 540

"Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan Talk"

robertB.

I dont think your being paranoid at all.

Your pride and joy(and sons)caravans are parked on your drive.

Ive seen a few security camera clips where caravans have had every bit of security devices you can think of and they have still been stolen.

I reckon the 2 best things you can do(as you've posted)......remove all wheels and park the car in front.

I think that any would be thief would think that yours would be too much hassle to steal.

Hopefully the neighbours could also keep their eyes open for anyone acting suspicious.

Good luck.;)

35 minutes ago, g7eor said:

Anything can be stolen now.

You're right there!   My daughter had a 30" high copy of the Venus de Milo standing in her front garden.   It went missing over-night.  

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

not paranoid at all, mines on axle stands but wheels still on as both got wheel locks, i have the hitchlock on and a car blocking and locked gates and if not enough also 24hr cctv to my phone, only thing is maybe dont remove wheels and just put on stands as they could have a similar van and bring their own wheels, this is why i left mine on, takes 2 min for them to fit their own wheels but an age to remove your locks and wheels its insured too

Edited by robbie244

Insurance is the most important thing. 

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

You can't fit wheel locks when the wheels are not there!  If your insurance says that wheel locks must be fitted, then your insurance may not cover any theft.  The wheels are an integral part of a wheel lock system.

It won't be too much trouble for thieves to bring along some wheels and wheel bolts.  These people are well trained in their profession, so if they want your vans, they will go.

Wheels without tyres may slow them down a bit though!

Edited by Wunny

6 minutes ago, Wunny said:

You can't fit wheel locks when the wheels are not there!  If your insurance says that wheel locks must be fitted, then your insurance may not cover any theft.  The wheels are an integral part of a wheel lock system.

Wheels without tyres may slow them down a bit though!

:goodpost:I like your thinking :)

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

To be truthful, the biggest thieves are insurance companies.  You have your caravan stolen, and you've done everything they insist you do, don't bank on them re-insuring you with your new caravan, in fact, you'll be very lucky to find another insurance company.  I did, thankfully.  But the insurers we had, dropped us like a red hot potato, just because they had to pay out, as we had done everything they told us to

If you have it up on stands with the wheels removed, see if you can find a cheep 2nd hand wheel rim (no tyre) that your wheel lock fits.

Not only would a thief need to have a set of wheels but would still need to get the locked rim off, this will also satisfy the insurance company as you have the appropriate wheel lock fitted. 

Good idea about the rims   I was thinking of maybe leaving one locked wheel on and removing the other 3.

Twin wheeler is 2008 and ours is 2012  I hope the age of these may make thieves look elsewhere but then I wouldn't want to wish the loss on anyone.

What a world we live in !!

Our neighbour oposite had some parking money pinched from his car. He thinks he forgot to lock it as he had been charging the battery.  I wonder if the individual had been trying all the cars.

The neighbour has camera footage of the lowlife. The poice have been informed.

I had left my dashcam in my Mini convertible,  it would only take a knife to get through the soft top. That would be expensive , but it does have a good alarm.

Camera put in glovebox now.

Edited by 664DaveS