Decent shoes

Jezzerb

How often do you need waterproof shoes? Their waterproofing is inevitably limited by the low height at the sides. I use waterproof mid-height boots in terrain where  water is expected and conventional  walking shoes where drier terrain is likely.

If you want to wear walking shoes in really wet conditions use gaitors with them, have used them for years and they prevent rain from running down between socks and shoe insides.

Stay safe - Griff.  :ph34r:

Wheels at the front Green Oval Towing Machine

Wheels at the back Bessacarr 845

2 hours ago, Griff said:

Was having a squint here just the other day, scroll to the bottom for general info.

https://runrepeat.com/ranking/rankings-of-waterproof-hiking-shoes

BRILLIANT GRYFF thank you so much-was looking at chameleon 8's at £100 and this website took me to Merrell Forest bound-look nearly as good and for me a tightwad, an ideal compromise at £54 and they have my exact size and free delivery and returns; happy days , done and dusted. Let's hope the posty gets them here and they fit! THANKS AGAIN-great article! J

55 minutes ago, Black Grouse said:

How often do you need waterproof shoes? Their waterproofing is inevitably limited by the low height at the sides. I use waterproof mid-height boots in terrain where  water is expected and conventional  walking shoes where drier terrain is likely.

Being a UK dog walker and not liking to stick to tarmac VERY often; if it's really wet I have walking boots but they are such a faff to lace and far too warm in the summer; every pair of mesh type so called waterproof shoes leak on the top mesh bit after a short amount of time-had a pair of merrels that lasted longer so happy with that brand anyway but I seem very hard on shoes. It's the morning dew that seems to be worst-constant wet on top -anyway Merrell forest bounds ordered at £54 free delivery and return from Merrell direct if they don't fit; can't go wrong as this is what i paid for my last pair of karimoor that lasted 2months water resist(nice and comfy and shall use them in the dry to keep my Merrell's going longer!  VERY happy and will update you on them when they arrive and review on their performance-the only thing they don't have is Goretex. We'll see! A huge thank you to you all on here-so helpful and very much appreciated!

I bought a pair of Bridgedale Midweight Boot Length Stormsock waterproof socks in Cotswold Leisure, but there are other makes and suppliers.

https://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/p/bridgedale-midweight-boot-length-stormsock-B5114868.html?colour=3609

Not had wet feet since!

What a great idea.Never thought of that solution.! Thank you! Ouch just seen the price. Nearly as pricey as a new pair of shoes!!!

Edited by Jezzerb

For the best chance of stopping water and debris entering the sides of the shoes get some of these, not particularly these exact ones.

Have used them over the years and they do just that as walking trousers fit over the top, weakest link then being the 'waterproofness' of the shoe fabric.

I have also used the knee length versions which keep mud of your best strides when booting around in off road mode.

20200430_080429.thumb.png.e673ca951563a4c9ce99d224c3d432ec.png

Stay safe - Griff.  :ph34r:

Wheels at the front Green Oval Towing Machine

Wheels at the back Bessacarr 845

When I used to do a lot of hill & mountain walking I had a pair of Berghaus Yeti Atak gaiters whch had a rubber welt which fitted into a groove in the welt of my boots and made them pretty well waterproof and kept rain, snow, slush, bog slime and anything else out. Super bit of kit but you did need stiffish boots otherwise the tight welt would peel off.

here they are - 

I never went through all that palaver to put them on - they were a bit of a struggle but not as difficult as he makes out , this bloke has turned it into an art form . I never used hot water, fairy liquid or rubber gloves (he's just a wimp)

I had them for years although they did have to have the welts changed a couple of times  because I wore them out - I've probably still got them somewhere up in the loft with my Vango Force 10 (a proper orange canvas one)

Edited by matelodave

I've given up on trainer style shoes as I've had problems with waterproofing. I now have a pair of Brasher Country Classic leather shoes, with a 'Gortex' type winning. They do a boot  and a more trainer style called the roamer. They are all about £100 in Go Outdoors and last for ages, I'm on my second pair and use them on touring holidays as they look smart enough for city use as well. 

Maybe not so trendy and need to be tried on as I think the sizes are on the small side, but then I'm  of 'That Age" !!

Cheers Anorak

I was very close to the above Brashers; look really good quality, till I found the Merrell forestbound at half price on the Merrell website!

26 minutes ago, Jezzerb said:

I was very close to the above Brashers; look really good quality, till I found the Merrell forestbound at half price on the Merrell website!

I've used Merrell MOAB shoes and boots for some time but when walking off road or on gravel paths I found the sole too flexible and bigger stones could protrude causing discomfort.  I bought some Brasher with Vibram soles and I'm very pleased with them. They are comfortable, waterproof and give good grip with a stiffer sole.  

As the weather warms I'm beginning to wonder if they may be a touch too warm but time will tell.  I can certainly recommend them and probably won't return to Merrell (which I think are a slightly narrower fit than the Brasher)

The Merrell's have arrived and are unbelievably comfy-slipper like-no bedding in here required-only short walk so far but so far so impressed. incidnentally off Merrell's own website they are £54 and Blacks were charging nearer £90!!!