CT Advertising

Caravan Guard Logo.png Rated 'Excellent' by customers on Trustpilot. Caravan Guard is now offering an extra One Month Free discount on new touring caravan policies. Click to get a discounted quote

Message added by CT Advertising

Very sad news and know myself as we have lost three people we were friends with .

Dave

• Sad 1

When it is deemed safe to come out of lockdown , it will have to be a controlled and measured return to the "new normal".  Certain activities which are not considered essential should be left until last.  Spectating at sporting events.  Holidays (both domestic and foreign). Etc  Mass gatherings of any type Etc Etc.   The last thing this country needs is a recurrence of this dreadful pandemic. 

• I agree completely 1

Posted (edited)

I had my sister What’s APPing  me this morning and my other sister’s boyfriend last night, apparently it’s all over UK media that Germany has come out of lockdown too early (not a comparable lockdown to the UK anyway) and that infection and death rates are rising.

This is not what’s being said here, in fact they’re reporting rates are dropping, so someone isn’t tell the truth.....

spacer.png

Just listened to the News Headlines.....Bundesliga, schools, churches.
BASF losing money, unemployment rates, further education, Islam  (Hesbolah), road works finishing on the A42 at Essen, weather!!!!

NOTHING about 2nd waves

4B35968E-267F-4B2A-AB2B-D19754026950.png

Edited by Borussia 1900
  • I do not understand 1

1 minute ago, Borussia 1900 said:

Just listened to the News Headlines.....Bundesliga, schools, churches.

BASF losing money, unemployment rates, further education, Islam  (Hesbolah), road works finishing on the A42 at Essen, weather!!!!

NOTHING about 2nd waves

A government of a country will never tell the truth.  I read foreign newspapers to get an idea of what is actually happening in the UK.  Strangely enough when I lived in a foreign country it was the British press than knew more about what was happening in that country than the citizens of the country in question.  I guess that applies all round.  :D

• I agree completely 1

Posted (edited)

I saw this and thought it is a lighter story of a English couple Can and Mazz that are stuck in Ireland in a layby on top of a mountain the whole of the lockdown and Dan was moaning he could not get John Smith's in Ireland and somebody  sent a parcel addressed to the Bored Couple in a bored Motorhome in a bored layby in Ireland and the parcel found them .

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/offbeat/motorhome-lockdown-an-post-deliver-for-a-youtube-couple-stuck-in-a-cork-lay-by-1.4240122

If I remember it was the German chancellor that spoke of a second wave coming from the releasing the lockdown and the German health system would be over whelmed by October ?

Edited by CommanderDave
  • I agree completely 1

1 hour ago, Borussia 1900 said:

I had my sister What’s APPing  me this morning and my other sister’s boyfriend last night, apparently it’s all over UK media that Germany has come out of lockdown too early (not a comparable lockdown to the UK anyway) and that infection and death rates are rising.

This is not what’s being said here, in fact they’re reporting rates are dropping, so someone isn’t tell the truth.....

We call it schadenfreude.  I don't think that there is a word for it in German?

1 hour ago, CommanderDave said:

If I remember it was the German chancellor that spoke of a second wave coming from the releasing the lockdown and the German health system would be over whelmed by October ?

I think she was saying that the health system could be over whelmed rather than would.  She was making a point about the potential for an exponential increase in cases if the R0 rate increased to marginally more than 1 and therefore advising caution.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/16/angela-merkel-draws-on-science-background-in-covid-19-explainer-lockdown-exit

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, CommanderDave said:

Politicians say a lot of things, remember Brexit (rarely gets a mention nowadays), politicians (and media) were spouting all sorts of doomsday scenarios that never materialised.

Edited by Borussia 1900

I can't see us coming out of lock down to soon with the worst death rate in the world . Germany has done a lot better so can release some brakes .

Dave

1 minute ago, CommanderDave said:

I can't see us coming out of lock down to soon with the worst death rate in the world . Germany has done a lot better so can release some brakes .

Dave

We are now being given a more honest number than we were but does Germany etc. give correct total number?

3 minutes ago, David 38 said:

We are now being given a more honest number than we were but does Germany etc. give correct total number?

We're only being told the figures for tested not the whole number for people dying from the virus 26000 to 43500 is a huge difference by office national statistics ?

3 minutes ago, CommanderDave said:

Dave

Where does your info come from?

According to Worlometers,  We have the 7th worst death rate.

DF1FF60D-0C89-4CA2-BCE8-AC37736D679B.thumb.png.4a7222bc37593e414a8e32de95f5a8a2.png

In my opinion, the deaths per million makes the best comparison.  But if you took total deaths, we come 5th.

Still no good though.

Belgium are still getting worse.

John

2 minutes ago, CommanderDave said:

We're only being told the figures for tested not the whole number for people dying from the virus 26000 to 43500 is a huge difference by office national statistics ?

That’s anyone’s guess, but has to be a worldwide constant.

John

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, CommanderDave said:

The daily briefing from yesterday now gives those two figures, that's why I said a more honest number.

1 hour ago, JCloughie said:

Where does your info come from?

According to Worlometers,  We have the 7th worst death rate.

John

That was probably before they added the community and care home deaths. 

18 minutes ago, Durbanite said:

That was probably before they added the community and care home deaths. 

But the worldometers compares like for like.  So far as I am aware there is not sufficient data from other countries to make realistic care home comparison.  Without that we have dangerous and pointless speculation.

I refer to yesterdays briefing.  Both USA and Spain’s data was unconfirmed regarding care homes.

John

1 hour ago, David 38 said:

The daily briefing from yesterday now gives those two figures, that's why I said a more honest number.

Do you really think that. It's hard enough gathering data from hospitals, there must be thousand of care homes all over te country, are they phoning in daily or even sending in e-mails, I think not.

I bet that there's not a single person out their who knows how many have got it or how many have contracted it and certainly how many have died from it or where it's contributed to their deaths.

We might have a slightly better idea when its all over but I doubt it.

Death's in care homes don't include deaths in private dwellings and unless all of these deaths have been tested or a PM done then it's can only be a best guess effort based on symptoms and so a lot will be missed and a lot will be wrongly attributed.

In the same manner deaths that haven't actually been recorded in hospitals will only get counted and included some time after the death has been registered and the data collated.

If you've ever had to do it you'll know that it can take several days to a week to register a death, possibly longer whilst all this is going on. AFAIK it then takes a week or more before it gets sent off to whoever collects it all and then add in the time for it to get into some sort of collated data its probably about 2-3 weeks out of date.

20 minutes ago, JCloughie said:

But the worldometers compares like for like.  So far as I am aware there is not sufficient data from other countries to make realistic care home comparison.  Without that we have dangerous and pointless speculation.

I refer to yesterdays briefing.  Both USA and Spain’s data was unconfirmed regarding care homes.

John

If you believe that you are very deluded - just look at all the different countries and their source data. Everyone is doing something different, using different tests, testing more or fewer people and and, as I said in my previous post quite a few of the deaths will be either under or over reported. 

I'll bet there are a few that are massaging their figures as well. In my view Worldometer is interesting but no way is it definitive because it's not based on a common regime of testing, recording and reporting.

If we cant get people to stand in a line properly in this country just think how hard it is to do the same all over the world and get identical data from each country

2 minutes ago, matelodave said:

it can take several days to a week to register a death, possibly longer whilst all this is going on. AFAIK it then takes a week or more before it gets sent off to whoever collects it all and then add in the time for it to get into some sort of collated data its probably about 2-3 weeks out of date.

While I full agree with you comments.  I do wonder though why a quicker temporary method could not have been set up to work in tandem with what we traditionally do.  I understand that such a thing would cause some extra work but perhaps the benefits from the information could have been very useful and allow for a faster area response.  Also a clearer indication of the dangers.

All I suggest could have been set up is.  When any death is certified, the person concerned would be asked to complete a very simple online questionnaire.  with the following info.  

Name, age, sex location, covid suspected, covid not suspected.

A bit like the principles of RIDDOR.

Or the manor used for reportable deceases,  of which covid is included.

John

Possibly the best data that will come out of this will be months down the line.  We know roughly how many deaths we normally experience in any given time slot throughout the year.  This is pretty reliable in stats terms.  So when we have the total deaths for a month/ 2 months / year etc. during this crisis and compare that to the expected deaths we will have a reasonably reliable figure. 

This will include all the knock on effects, such things as people who did not seek treatment when they normally would.  Lower road accident figures. Lower industrial accident etc.

It will also take into account those poor souls, who were at the end of life anyway.  Covid may have accelerated  that death by a few hours/days/weeks.  But a cause of death would be questionable.  Is an advanced lung cancer patient to be marked down as covid because they tested positive, when a P.M. shows the cause of death as an internal bleed due to the Tumor invasion of a major blood vessel.  These things may appear simple but rarely are.

• Thanks 1
  • I agree completely 2

1 hour ago, matelodave said:

Do you really think that.

Yes I do  think it is a better figure, gosh it was nearly 5000 short with the Care Homes missing so is a "more honest figure".

I do not think it 100%

Time will tell us a higher figure.

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, oldboy said:

whether a vaccine is workable or not the world will have to live with it just like a flu epidemic every year, hopefully by the time life becomes near normal scientist would have understand the make up of the virus, I, for one have stopped  preaching to anyone because we are all individual, if the economy do not start to move soon everybody will be affected financially including pensioners with private pension. 

I don't know much about other people's work pension, I just received an email from my company pension the investment outlook does not look good due to the ongoing Covid19 situation although the pension fund is resilient at the moment, some step is being taken to temporarily stop some benefit for  three months it does not affect me at the moment but I don't know what the future is going to be. 

Edited by Guest

Hard to see sites re opening any time this summer, i think opening of sites will be way down the priority for this government.

With reviews in essence happening every 4 weeks, there will be a slow opening of small shops etc.

Chris Witty has also stated last night, new cases need to drop below 1000 a day before any lockdown ends.

Not sure how he sees the tourism industry surviving a total block out of a season, including the major caravan suppliers and their sales and workshops etc. 

2 minutes ago, psamuel said:

Hard to see sites re opening any time this summer, i think opening of sites will be way down the priority for this government.

With reviews in essence happening every 4 weeks, there will be a slow opening of small shops etc.

Chris Witty has also stated last night, new cases need to drop below 1000 a day before any lockdown ends.

Not sure how he sees the tourism industry surviving a total block out of a season, including the major caravan suppliers and their sales and workshops etc. 

I thought the emergency legislation required the government to review the restrictions every 3 weeks.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

China is claiming that their infection rate has decreased.  They have also re-opened their "Wet markets" so obviously,  they don't suspect that the corona virus originated there.  They probably have traced the source,  but are not telling the world. --------- Fortunately western caravanners don't tour China with their vans so it won't be of much interest if they reopen their campsites or not. 

Edited by bessacarr425
  • I do not understand 1

Camping sites in Austria will reopen on the 29th May. It's just a question of how to get there then.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Lutz said:

Camping sites in Austria will reopen on the 29th May. It's just a question of how to get there then.

Some sort of nonsense on TV about a suggestion over 50 years olds not allowed out when lockdown ends

7 minutes ago, Lutz said:

Dutch ones on the 11th May (as it stands)