CT Advertising

Caravan Guard Logo.png Rated 'Excellent' by customers on Trustpilot. Caravan Guard is now offering an extra One Month Free discount on new touring caravan policies. Click to get a discounted quote

Message added by CT Advertising

Provisionally we are all dead in the long run

• Haha 1

I have emailed two CLs with whom I have bookings in July and August to see if they have an update re opening.    Both report that the CMC have advised they can open from 4 July (Subject to change) so happy to keep our bookings.    Can’t wait for a change of scenery (One 30 miles away and one 60 miles away)

My booking for the 4 July at Wirral CMC May be on then:D

First time on the forum and relatively new to caravanning only started at the end of last season.  We had a booking on East Fleet site near Newquay, they have just informed us that no toilets, showers and play areas will be open for the whole of the 2021 season.  Will this be the norm do people think?

No I don't think so. They will probably open without facilities and open them after a few months. Does not affect us since we have facilities in the van.

15 minutes ago, David Griffiths said:

First time on the forum and relatively new to caravanning only started at the end of last season.  We had a booking on East Fleet site near Newquay, they have just informed us that no toilets, showers and play areas will be open for the whole of the 2021 season.  Will this be the norm do people think?

And did they say you would still be paying full price for that?  

I'm more than happy to pay full price even where facilities are closed. If they're reducing occupancy the price may even increase?

I've just booked 3 nights at the beginning of July at Clitheroe which is the nearest C&CC site to home. Then three more sites of differing distances booked over summer. Where we are staying for more than three nights I've gone for fully serviced pitches to reduce closer contact with others. Not many C&CC sites offer these! 

Ladysmile in Dawlish are offering 25% off for July and August bookings .

All facilities will be closed you just get the pitch. The site shop may be open.

They normally have a indoor and outdoor pools . Club house play areas etc.

I have a few days booked at East Fleet in Weymouth for early September and they emailed me over the weekend to say that they will be open from early July but only to those with the own washing and toilet facilities. Also the bar may not be open but that's not a major issue as we always have plenty of alcohol with us

10 minutes ago, Dando said:

I have a few days booked at East Fleet in Weymouth for early September and they emailed me over the weekend to say that they will be open from early July but only to those with the own washing and toilet facilities. Also the bar may not be open but that's not a major issue as we always have plenty of alcohol with us

It's a lovely site, we were there last July.

49 minutes ago, Fang2260 said:

Ladysmile in Dawlish are offering 25% off for July and August bookings .

All facilities will be closed you just get the pitch. The site shop may be open.

They normally have a indoor and outdoor pools . Club house play areas etc.

In August, a pitch for a 2+2 family is around £75 per night.   Without the pools, clubhouse and play areas, I don't reckon a discount of 25% is good value for what amounts to a CL.      In August of 2016, I stayed on a CL just 700 yards above Lady's Mile for £12 per night incl. 16amps.

P1060802.JPG.fa20734635d6fef0327fdb048a8dff45.JPG

On a historical note:   my caravan log book shows that on 14th  August 1979, we (2+2) arrived at Lady's Mile for a week's stay.   Our site fees for the week - £21.    Then they only had a small outdoor pool.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jaydug said:

In August, a pitch for a 2+2 family is around £75 per night.   Without the pools, clubhouse and play areas, I don't reckon a discount of 25% is good value for what amounts to a CL.      In August of 2016, I stayed on a CL just 700 yards above Lady's Mile for £12 per night incl. 16amps.

P1060802.JPG.fa20734635d6fef0327fdb048a8dff45.JPG

On a historical note:   my caravan log book shows that on 14th  August 1979, we (2+2) arrived at Lady's Mile for a week's stay.   Our site fees for the week - £21.    Then they only had a small outdoor pool.

No I agree I don't think 25% off is enough. We wont be going to ladysmile until Easter next year now.

Me too, but.........

I have a bit of sympathy for the site owners as their overheads such as business rates etc still have to be covered and I would imagine that a lot of the facilities were paid for by business loans or mortgages which will still have to be paid. I don’t know if businesses can have mortgage “holidays” but even if they can that only delays payment it doesn’t wipe it out. Any such holiday will result in increased interest payments etc. 

25% discount does seem somewhat derisory though, if it were me I think I would be looking at a much bigger discount with a view to attracting many more customers as 100 x £10 profit is better than 2 x £25. But of course it’s not my business and I don’t know anything about their business model.

Andy

CMC sites with no facilities are , I think £16, however looking at a couple of sites with no toilet block but with electic, they're around £20, so you could pick what suits you if the facilities are not open. They would probably still have to keep the disabled washroom open.

Edited by joanie

On ‎31‎/‎05‎/‎2020 at 08:47, David Griffiths said:

Are you correct by stating 2021, or do you mean the rest of 2020?  Just checking

2 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

Me too, but.........

I have a bit of sympathy for the site owners as their overheads such as business rates etc still have to be covered and I would imagine that a lot of the facilities were paid for by business loans or mortgages which will still have to be paid. I don’t know if businesses can have mortgage “holidays” but even if they can that only delays payment it doesn’t wipe it out. Any such holiday will result in increased interest payments etc. 

25% discount does seem somewhat derisory though, if it were me I think I would be looking at a much bigger discount with a view to attracting many more customers as 100 x £10 profit is better than 2 x £25. But of course it’s not my business and I don’t know anything about their business model.

Andy

Another two sites in Cornwall we frequent are offering no discount at present.

I won't name them as yet as they may change that policy shortly.

Both are big 5 star establishment.

I do get they need to make some money but perhaps a little more speculate to accumulate would be beneficial to all.

24 minutes ago, Fang2260 said:

Another two sites in Cornwall we frequent are offering no discount at present.

I won't name them as yet as they may change that policy shortly.

Both are big 5 star establishment.

I do get they need to make some money but perhaps a little more speculate to accumulate would be beneficial to all.

Why should they give discounts?  No trade for months, coming into peak season, pent up demand from all of us caravanners and they should reduce their prices! Would you in their position?

perhaps we should be happy when/if they open and then pay their rates - we haven’t spent anything on sites for 3 months so we could help them.

• I disagree 1

4 minutes ago, ivan leslie said:

Why should they give discounts? 

Why should they not when their swimming pools are closed/   Their clubhouse is closed and the child playgrounds are closed.    All that's left is the pitch.

• I agree completely 1

15 minutes ago, ivan leslie said:

Why should they give discounts?  No trade for months, coming into peak season, pent up demand from all of us caravanners and they should reduce their prices! Would you in their position?

perhaps we should be happy when/if they open and then pay their rates - we haven’t spent anything on sites for 3 months so we could help them.

I agree, its supply and demand, once the handcuffs are off there will be a rush for pitches, so why not charge what they can, if it were my business I know I would. Once the initial rush is over towards the back end of the season you might find some decent offers to keep the occupancy rate up and some cash flowing.

Lets no forget that for the time being there will be demand from those that normally tour in the UK (like us) and also those that have had their foreign trips scuppered, so as I say supply and demand.