Sites Re opening

Message added by CT Advertising,

Compare caravan insurance quotes and buy online for touring & static caravans

compareinsurance.pngCompare Caravan Insurance provides quality touring insurance, static insurance, park home insurance and leisure home insurance at competitive prices

www.compare-caravan-insurance.co.uk

I do hope you are right! 

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

anyone know if EU sites  have a duty to refund rather than vouchers like the uk?

1 minute ago, Mr Plodd said:

I do hope you are right! 

As far as I can remember all my predictions has never fail, only one I can not predict is when will I win the lottery:D 

1 hour ago, Mr Plodd said:

Of course it’s not only the rules in operation in the U.K., there are the rules in place at the destination that have an influence. 

Its all very well campsites “opening up” (wherever they may be) but is there any point going to them if the rest of the world around them is still shut?

I appreciate there is the option of staying in your caravan, but if there’s nothing open in the vicinity (bars, restaurants, cafes tourist attractions etc) you might as well stay at home and enjoy all the facilities such as garden you have there, and save yourself a few quid towards next year. 

Andy

Precisely. A major attraction of  caravaning for me is visiting the local towns, sampling the local fare and drink, buying from independent traders, especially markets, and visiting  places of interest.

If that's not possible then the van will stay on the drive, there's lovely scenery and great walks where I live now so not much point travelling anywhere to sit by the van all day,  everyday.

46 minutes ago, swirly182 said:

As soon as the government has allowed safe opening of the sites, with risk assessments and control measures in place, people will have to start using them. This way, hopefully some sites will still be operational when you decide you are willing to travel. 

I believe it is more likely that people may start using them but apart from the enthusiasts, others are more likely to be slower to take up the offer. Much as I want to support the campsite businesses, I am unlikely to rush to them at the first opportunity. Currently the earliest site I have booked is for October 2020, and that I believe is still 'at risk' of cancellation. 

I have my own facilities onboard, so could simply park up as I require no other service (although an EHU is preferable) until returning home. Visits anywhere, as I see it, will probably depend as much upon what is available in any given area, and how welcome I will feel,  as much as if campsites themselves are open.

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

Until there is the all clear and the country is completely out of lock-down, I will continue to enjoy working and lounging in my garden and walks in the lovely countryside within a few minutes walk from my house. I have absolutely  no intention of booking any holidays this year, as out of respect for those who live and work in other rural areas, I would hate to be one of the descending hordes who could be carrying who knows what infections.  So its stay at home for me. Not a hardship, just common sense. 

3 hours ago, oldboy said:

Like it or not, campsites are making preparation to comply with distancing rule with a view to open as soon as they get the go ahead, I know of one such campsite which is not far from where I live who is doing just that.

I guess there will be a range of attitude from campsite owners as far as whether their local neighbours are welcoming visitors or not - I won't be going to sites when they open unless the local population also welcomes visitors.

6 minutes ago, Black Grouse said:

I guess there will be a range of attitude from campsite owners as far as whether their local neighbours are welcoming visitors or not - I won't be going to sites when they open unless the local population also welcomes visitors.

Good attitude, but how on earth do you establish how welcome you would be? 

I won't be using my 'van until we have an effective treatment and\or vaccine.

We had provisionally decided that this season would be our last so it may well be we never use the  'van again!😕

I wonder what the market for used caravans will be like coming out of this?

Sorry to hear that. There won't be many people wanting to fly before a vaccine is available, me included and several others I know. So demand for used caravans might increase?

Edited by swirly182

Boris was more or less damping down optimism about a vaccine any time soon, if ever. 19 years on from SARS there still isn’t a vaccine, and Covid 19 is a relative.......

28 minutes ago, MalH said:

Boris was more or less damping down optimism about a vaccine any time soon, if ever. 19 years on from SARS there still isn’t a vaccine, and Covid 19 is a relative.......

But some of the pharma companies are getting promising results from treatment drugs.     Giliad-sciences are carrying out phase 3 trials in some UK hospitals with their remdesivir which is showing promising results on patients with severe Covid19.   As Mal says - treatment might be all we're ever likely to get.

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

If anyone isn’t planning to use their van until there is a proven safe vaccine they may as well sell it.

I’m planning to use mine as soon as  I can (probably mid June, if I can get a pitch)

Edited by Borussia 1900

we have 2 weekends and a 2week holiday booked for July  if sites are open and will still be social distancing when we are out  and about 

There have been times when we have not used our caravan due to health problems but we have still kept it since the annual costs were less than buying another later. Last year I was at the point of almost getting rid of it but then went away in it for a few days. I still enjoyed being away so decided to keep it and this year use it as much as possible but then the virus came along. Still intend to keep it though.

15 hours ago, Black Grouse said:

There's more to good locations than "bars, restaurants, cafes, tourist attractions" - but it takes all sorts.

So what are those things, bearing in mind that Andy did say he saw no point if "nothing is open"? 

We are, like many, looking forward to being able to enjoy the van again but that's the key, enjoy, and it seems that many will be content to go away, take all their food never leave the van etc and I see no joy in that.

Edited by Allan Guest
errors

We would leave the van for bike rides and walks adhering to social distancing rules at all times. Pretty much what we do with the kids anyway. 

like you say each to their own, because we have dogs we enjoy places to  walk with them, we don't go for commercial  things, we like forests , beaches , country parks and open markets and country shows.   Blackpool and Scarborough are telling people to stay away, as are Wales. I think that it's too  early to think about booking anywhere yet. 

1 hour ago, Allan Guest said:

So what are those things, bearing in mind that Andy did say he saw no point if "nothing is open"? 

We are, like many, looking forward to being able to enjoy the van again but that's the key, enjoy, and it seems that many will be content to go away, take all their food never leave the van etc and I see no joy in that.

That thing is the countryside - there's plenty of it in the UK, no need to spend money at tourist attractions - social distancing is automatic in open countryside..

As of today, we can travel anywhere in England although many of the usual tourist honeypots don't want visitors yet.

53 minutes ago, swirly182 said:

We would leave the van for bike rides and walks adhering to social distancing rules at all times. Pretty much what we do with the kids anyway. 

Hi, As I can do that now, and do, I cant see the point of dragging the van somewhere just to do the same without all the other benefits that are unavailable at the moment.

One appeal of having the van is being able to visit places and do things that I cant do at home

46 minutes ago, joanie said:

like you say each to their own, because we have dogs we enjoy places to  walk with them, we don't go for commercial  things, we like forests , beaches , country parks and open markets and country shows.   Blackpool and Scarborough are telling people to stay away, as are Wales. I think that it's too  early to think about booking anywhere yet. 

Hi, I could enjoy most of those things too but don't need telling to stay away from Blackpool, Scarborough and Wales !!! (he joked)

10 minutes ago, Black Grouse said:

That thing is the countryside - there's plenty of it in the UK, no need to spend money at tourist attractions - social distancing is automatic in open countryside..

As of today, we can travel anywhere in England although many of the usual tourist honeypots don't want visitors yet.

Hi BG,

As you say we can travel but this thread was about sites reopening and, much as I love the 'countryside', and will today be travelling in order to use an off road cycle path, I will not be thinking of using the van until things return to something like normality.

That's fair enough!

We have a 2 and 5 year old who, although have been well behaved, would benefit from a change of scenery if Boris allows the sites to open. 

I also live just south of Blackpool so you must understand the desire to get away! 

Edited by swirly182

4 minutes ago, swirly182 said:

That's fair enough!

We have a 2 and 5 year old who, although have been well behaved, would benefit from a change of scenery if Boris allows the sites to open. 

Hi, our age range of 'children' who love the van is from 7 to 19 and the one thing that , for stays of more than a couple of days, is a swimming pool.

We all have different takes on what constitutes an 'all singing all dancing' site but for us if we have a pool anything else we can take or leave.

10 minutes ago, Black Grouse said:

I can assure anyone planning/thinking of coming to my part of the U.K. (Dorset) that, at present, they would NOT be welcomed at all. Just about every car park is closed AND barricaded to prevent access, and that includes car parks in town centres AND at known “Beauty spots” and tourist attractions including all the beach car parks.

We have an exceedingly low infection rate and would rather like it to stay that way. 

So, in the nicest possibly way, please don’t come here YET as the virus is still out there, and we should ALL do everything we possibly can to restrict its chances of spreading or increasing the rate of infection.

Remember, you COULD be a carrier without knowing it! 

Andy 

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

I am convinced that the threat of a Covid-19 infection will never go away 100% and even if it does, the next mutation will be just around the corner. That's why we can forget full protection and just concentrate on sensible measures that one should do anyway wherever lots of people congregate. We will have to learn to live with a minimal risk if we don't isolate ourselves forever.

6 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

I can assure anyone planning/thinking of coming to my part of the U.K. (Dorset) that, at present, they would NOT be welcomed at all. Just about every car park is closed AND barricaded to prevent access, and that includes car parks in town centres AND at known “Beauty spots” and tourist attractions including all the beach car parks.

Hi Andy, My wife uses Facebook and said yesterday that people were commenting on National trust reopening car parks. We have a few near us, all closed, and the result is that people park on the roads instead! NT website says this;

4. When will your car parks be open?

Initially we plan to start opening some of our car parks in England from Wednesday 13 May. Car parks which are staffed and have facilities, will take longer. Most car parks will be open by the 21 May.

Car parks in Wales and Northern Ireland will not reopen at this stage in line with current guidance there.

2 minutes ago, Lutz said:

I am convinced that the threat of a Covid-19 infection will never go away 100% and even if it does, the next mutation will be just around the corner. That's why we can forget full protection and just concentrate on sensible measures that one should do anyway wherever lots of people congregate. We will have to learn to live with a minimal risk if we don't isolate ourselves forever.

Hi, I believe you are most likely correct Lutz and it seems to me that, in what is an amazingly short period of time, we have made behavioral changes that for many will be difficult to move away from.

I have had reason to discuss the issue of distancing with my mother in laws GP, and her community nurse and we are all agreed that what amounts to abandoning all contact is unsustainable for any long period if she is to not deteriorate further, having been hospitalised twice since Easter Monday.

I have no problem accepting restrictions are necessary but it is quite worrying how many people seem to have abandoned giving any thought to the issue and rely on what they see or hear in the media.

• Gordon changed the title to C & CC to re-open 4th July, or not....
  • JonF locked this topic