Sites Re opening

Message added by CT Advertising,

Compare caravan insurance quotes and buy online for touring & static caravans

compareinsurance.pngCompare Caravan Insurance provides quality touring insurance, static insurance, park home insurance and leisure home insurance at competitive prices

www.compare-caravan-insurance.co.uk

3 hours ago, KnausCol said:

........I had a car service MOT appointment scheduled for this month 'postponed' as the dealership closed. I've been contacted this week to re-arrange for July when it appears they have been given the go ahead to re-open.

Same situation and recent dealer contact here although the opening date for my service centre is Monday 11th May.

So do I get my vehicle booked in, could be later in May if I do but to get it there it is an 18 mile round trip, classed as an unnecessary journey? hmm :unsure:

Gut feel says just get it done.

Stay safe - Griff.  :ph34r:

Wheels at the front Green Oval Towing Machine

Wheels at the back Bessacarr 845

On 26/04/2020 at 19:05, matelodave said:

I see that the BBC and some of the newspapers are now starting to whinge that there aren't enough patients in the new Nightingale hospitals.

What is it with them that they dont seem to get their heads around the fact that lots of people in there would equate to lots more people being seriously ill. What would they have said if they hadn't have been constructed and hospitals had been totally overwhelmed. Hopefully they wont get filled when the second wave occurs either

They'll be squaeaking on about how the cost could have been spent on ventilators or PPE rather than alluding to the Nightingales as being white elephants.

What is wrong with them, soft in the heads or just a feel a need to keep stirring even when someone is trying to do the right thing - I really do wonder sometimes

nightingale hospitals not at capacity is a good thing, it means less people with the virus. better to have more than you need instead of needing more than youve got.

5 hours ago, KnausCol said:

Some relaxing for businesses is already underway. I had a car service MOT appointment scheduled for this month

I don’t think that is because of relaxing.  They have always been able to work so long as they could adapt their procedures.  Also, I believe our local Hyundai dealer suspended private owners servicing so that they can concentrate on front line workers cars at a reduced workshop capacity.  No doubt they all handle things differently.

——

On a positive note.  Tewksbury hospital had been reserved for an end of life hospital.  They are now reverting to general use as the need was not as expected.  There is also bed capacity elsewhere locally.

John

Volvo V70 D3 SE (was Peugeot 4007, SsangYong Korando), Pulling a Lunar Clubman SI 2015. If you are depressed, you are living in the past. If you are anxious, you are living in the future. If you are at peace, you are living in the present.

16 minutes ago, rugbytowbars said:

nightingale hospitals not at capacity is a good thing, it means less people with the virus. better to have more than you need instead of needing more than youve got.

Many, many years ago, 60's, I had an uncle who worked at Pilkingtons glass in St.Helens, knowing that I was, still am, an inquisitive soul, or nosey B as he said, he took me round the factory including the float glass plant, where I was amazed to see the maintenance and engineers staff room, snooker tables, shelves of books, dart boards etc. with everyone sat doing something but not working.

When I asked the manager were they all on a break, "No he said, they are all working and getting well paid for sitting on their A's or having a kip, just as I like it, all's running well, if there is no one up here, I worry, there is a problem, but when it all goes pear shaped everyone and everything drops into place. "

Just like the Nightingales, if they are empty, or very few patients in there great, but it's great to know that if things do go pear shaped there is spare capacity available in an instance.

Sadly, all the doom merchants and naysayers, press mainly, don't, or are unable to see things this way.

18 hours ago, fred said:

FWIW, there is no such thing as Cheshire  County Council.  

Ok, Cheshire East, Cheshire West and Chester Councils.

8 hours ago, rugbytowbars said:

nightingale hospitals not at capacity is a good thing, it means less people with the virus. better to have more than you need instead of needing more than you've got.

I wonder if  the powers that be have thought about having the old convalescence homes as they did years ago to free up hospital beds , once this pandemic is over

7 minutes ago, joanie said:

I wonder if  the powers that be have thought about having the old convalescence homes as they did years ago to free up hospital beds , once this pandemic is over

Convalescence home do exist they are run by private company like Bupa and most of the time they are full. There are 3 homes that I know of where I live serving the 3 hospitals. 

Edited by Guest

12 minutes ago, oldboy said:

Convalescence home do exist they are run by private company like Bupa and most of the time they are full. There are 3 homes that I know of where I live serving the 3 hospitals. 

I thought that BUPA only served the private sector. Where I live we often hear about bed blockers as there is nowhere for them to go.

51 minutes ago, joanie said:

A nice idea, but......

How many?

In what buildings? (It takes a long time to build them)

Located where?

Paid For by who?

Staffed by who?

Occupied by who exactly as there could be the danger of them being seen as another form of geriatric care (anyone else recall the geriatric wards in hospitals? 

As I said, an appealing idea but not one that needs very carefully thinking about. 

Andy

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

1 minute ago, Mr Plodd said:

A nice idea, but......

How many?

In what buildings? (It takes a long time to build them)

Located where?

Paid For by who?

Staffed by who?

Occupied by who exactly as there could be the danger of them being seen as another form of geriatric care (anyone else recall the geriatric wards in hospitals? 

As I said, an appealing idea but not one that needs very carefully thinking about. 

Andy

They still exist, but in disguise! They are frequently one wing of a care home, part of a graduated system.

Sheltered; own flats or apartments with a warden on call, who makes occasional check up visits.

Assisted; own apartments or rooms with regular visits to assist with washing getting up etc. but free to go out and/or use communal day rooms.

Supported; needing regular assistance for most things but able to use communal day rooms if helped to get there.

Fully supported; frequently bedbound, needing help with pretty much everything.

Different homes have their own descriptions, with no hard and fast dividing lines, and many only care for some groups. Often the first three groups remain in their own homes with mobile support.

Both my son and daughter worked in this sphere at one time or another, and my Mother in Law spent quite a few years in one.

10 hours ago, rugbytowbars said:

However the press will blame the government for wasting money stating that the nightingale hospitals  were unnecessary.

I realise we are now miles away from the original topic but I'm continuing from the last few posts above . . . . . . 

When Mum had a fall and hip replacement, she went to a Nursing Home to recover and although I wasn't involved in the details, I think I was told that the first 6 weeks costs were covered by NHS.

A couple of years later after a severe stroke, she again went to a (different) Nursing Home after being in hospital and again costs were covered by NHS. They provided amazing care in the last few weeks of her life.

These were both privately owned and operated - normally about £1000 week.

Mike

Since that we are now on Nightingale hospital, all these are field hospital that will be dismantled once the crisis is over and most of the equipment used will be back in the big hangar until required again.

1 hour ago, joanie said:

I thought that BUPA only served the private sector. Where I live we often hear about bed blockers as there is nowhere for them to go.

Bupa, nuffield and a few other company are just private medical insurance company providing services to the NHS, also their members can jump the queue in NHS hospital for operation etc

Edited by Guest

Sites Re opening   :- This is an opportunity for the caravanning fraternity to show restraint and social respect.  To be an example to others by NOT charging all around the country to camping sites, possibly infecting rural communities. Caravan journeys are Non-essential journeys and are already being seen by many non-caravanners as a menace on the roads..  This is our opportunity to prove to the people of the UK that we are responsible people, by leaving the caravan at home or storage until next spring..  

3 minutes ago, bessacarr425 said:

Sites Re opening   :- This is an opportunity for the caravanning fraternity to show restraint and social respect.  To be an example to others by NOT charging all around the country to camping sites, possibly infecting rural communities. Caravan journeys are Non-essential journeys and are already being seen by many non-caravanners as a menace on the roads..  This is our opportunity to prove to the people of the UK that we are responsible people, by leaving the caravan at home or storage until next spring..  

Going on beach holiday, on cruise ship can be classed as non essential as well, shall we all stay in until next spring

1 minute ago, bessacarr425 said:

A great sentiment and full of common sense, unfortunately there will be those the “need to get away” and will be the first out of the starting blocks.

So they will go from being couped  up in the house to bring couped in the caravan, just a change of scenery.

Everyone will have to decide what is right for them, we will just wait it out and be grateful we didn’t contribute to spreading the virus, and maintain social distancing until there is overwhelming evidence that it is either totally under control or there is a vaccine, for as long as it takes.

Jaguar E-Pace 180D HSE R Dynamic - 2008 Swift Conqueror 540

"Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan Talk"

1 hour ago, Durbanite said:

However the press will blame the government for wasting money stating that the nightingale hospitals  were unnecessary.

Without a doubt! 

And I suspect  the Biased Broadcast Corporation (along with Peston) will lead the choir, and will doubtless add in the “Why didn’t the Government stockpile millions of pounds worth of date critical PPE for a pandemic”  whilst totally ignoring the fact  that NO-ONE had the slightest idea it was coming (or indeed the scale of the need) 

First law of journalism again

“Never let the facts get in the way of a good headline/story”

Andy

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

16 hours ago, w44nty said:

When restrictions are finally lifted,we will still be staying at home until the dust settles,the roads will be like the Wacky Races and droves of people will be going everywhere.,when it all calms down maybe we will get a trip away,but we are not banking on it,we will be watching how others are getting on,and reading the feedback and stories on the forums.

I expect we will be doing the same, however we may even wait until mid winter if the weather is mild and just go out for a few days at a time, but like my OH said, lets see if we get through this first. 

Everyone will have to decide what is right for them, we will just wait it out and be grateful we didn’t contribute to spreading the virus, and maintain social distancing until there is overwhelming evidence that it is either totally under control or there is a vaccine, for as long as it takes.

As far as I understand you would need to have the virus to spread it.

My view is to make sure we are both free of any symptoms before going away (ie self isolation and temp check before leaving) that way we won't spread anything or encounter any problems when away.

Edited by PaulR
spelling

26 minutes ago, bessacarr425 said:

Its down to personal choice, once the lockdown is lifted there will be thousands of businesses praying for tourists and holiday makers to visit them.

58 minutes ago, DerbyClubman said:

I realise we are now miles away from the original topic but I'm continuing from the last few posts above . . . . . . 

, I never thought I'd ever see a thread drift away from topic on CT, never in a million years!!! :D

4 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

Without a doubt! 

And I suspect  the Biased Broadcast Corporation (along with Peston) will lead the choir, and will doubtless add in the “Why didn’t the Government stockpile millions of pounds worth of date critical PPE for a pandemic”  whilst totally ignoring the fact  that NO-ONE had the slightest idea it was coming (or indeed the scale of the need) 

First law of journalism again

“Never let the facts get in the way of a good headline/story”

Andy

I think we’ve covered this to death on other threads and its going way off topic, but I for one am glad we have a press who can question the authorities. Even if you don’t like their questions the alternative to a free press is rather frightening, and nobody is forced to watch the news or read newspapers.

5 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

Why didn’t the Government stockpile millions of pounds worth of date critical PPE for a pandemic”

That world renown expert Brian May, has just been on the box saying this country (note, not the government),  should be ashamed of itself for the lack of preparation and lack of PPE.

Some have zero concept of what is involved.

John

Volvo V70 D3 SE (was Peugeot 4007, SsangYong Korando), Pulling a Lunar Clubman SI 2015. If you are depressed, you are living in the past. If you are anxious, you are living in the future. If you are at peace, you are living in the present.

1 minute ago, JCloughie said:

That world renown expert Brian May, has just been on the box saying this country (note, not the government),  should be ashamed of itself for the lack of preparation and lack of PPE.

Ah yes, the same Brian May who was a cheerleader for Jezza at Glastonbury....

Interesting read about lifting restrictions on campsites etc. in Germany

It still remains a gloomy picture for hotels and restaurants though. Chancellor Angela Merkel has said that the federal and state governments will not make a decision on the hospitality industry at their next meeting on 6 May, but instead focus on further relaxing the rules for schools, childcare centers and sports facilities.

• Gordon changed the title to C & CC to re-open 4th July, or not....
  • JonF locked this topic