CT Advertising

Caravan Guard Logo.png Rated 'Excellent' by customers on Trustpilot. Caravan Guard is now offering an extra One Month Free discount on new touring caravan policies. Click to get a discounted quote

Message added by CT Advertising

I've started this post to ask,. When and Why do you think sites will re open.

I think we'll be lucky to get out before 2022, not only does it have to be safe for us, it has to be safe for site personal. 

Ok so here goes. My own view is that sites will start opening towards the end of June. My reasoning is as follows. There is a limit as to how long the gov. can continue to pay people and keep businesses afloat so there has to be an ease to the lockdown after this current 3 week period. I, like everyone else knows this will be gradual and will require social distancing measures to remain in place, though tbh the 2 metre rule seems arbitrary to me as many countries only use 1.5 metres and as far as I can see no research has been done on the distances required to reduce the possibility of transmission. Indeed I'm sure it will depend on wether you are upwind or down wind but I digress. 

Additionally as things ease it will be obvious that foreign travel will, pretty much, be out of the question so the gov. will realise that folks will be looking towards a holiday in this country. It seems to me that it would be relatively easy for campsites to maintain social distancing without too much change in pitch configuration. This will allow thousands of families to holiday but keeping the spending in this country. I realise the problem is going to be going out for food, walking etc but we are used to that at home so there should be no problems. I also realise that the huge areas countryside are currently no go zones with signs erected warning folks off but when the gov. stops paying wages etc we will be welcomed back with open arms as it will pretty much be the only source of income.

Also there is increasing concern about our empty hospitals, the impact Covid is having on treatment for long standing illness and the general reluctance for people to go  hospital or GP with ailments that require treatment, indeed we are already hearing the 'experts' telling us that hospitals are open.

So that is my view and I'm sure many will disagree however I have already booked 2 sites for July so we will see.

• Like 3
  • I agree completely 4

There are, imho, three considerations.

• What government think is right for them from a political point of view.
  • Economic pressures
  • What is logical and sensible.

so anyone’s guess then

John

• Like 2
  • I agree completely 1

25 minutes ago, wigelywoo said:

I've started this post to ask,. When and Why do you think sites will re open.

I think we'll be lucky to get out before 2022, not only does it have to be safe for us, it has to be safe for site personal. 

I think sites will be fully open in 2021 but those over 70, vulnerable or extremely vulnerable will probably still have social distancing restrictions which will affect where and how they can go caravanning.

• Like 1
  • I do not understand 1
  • I agree completely 1

When it does happen we will be looking at CL's with Service Pitches and obviously using all onboard facilities, so we do not have to touch anything or to be near anyone apart from emptying the Toilet 

• Like 1
  • I agree completely 1

32 minutes ago, Black Grouse said:

I think sites will be fully open in 2021 but those over 70, vulnerable or extremely vulnerable will probably still have social distancing restrictions which will affect where and how they can go caravanning.

I have started to wonder whether social distancing for a very long time will have a detrimental effect on our immune system. If we do not mingle for a few years, will our immune systems be unprepared for anything that is knocking around, so our first "outside" contact fells us?.

• Like 2

I think at some point we are all going to have to take a chance as I dont see this virus becoming eradicated in the near future. Even if it was cleared in UK we could import it again by a visitor from another country. I dont want to find out if I am susceptible or not , but unless the boffins find a vaccine or more likely some drug that mitigates  the lethal effects we will be stuck with an indefinite timeline. You couldnt make this up .

• Like 1

I think we need to remember the Spanish flu last from Jan 1918 until Dec 1920 and they estimate that over 100 million people were infected.  Worldwide death toll between 17 and 50 million.  The Covid-19 is going to be around for a long time.  If sites do open probably best if they get ablution blocks closed. 

Well as soon as sites reopen we will be off! We will use only our facilities!

So apart from filling the water, and emptying waste, where we will take full precautions!

Lizzie is in the vulnerable category and I am 70. Just will carry on our self isolating in the caravan!

Cannot wait to get to our favourite CL’s

• Like 3
  • I agree completely 4

Sites will re-open, purely for financial reasons next year. The on- site public lavatories and showers may remain closed for much longer though, purely for hygienic reasons.  Vanners will be expected to use their own facilities..

• I disagree 1
  • I agree completely 1

Its an answer of how long is a piece of string.  But I've heard of some pubs opening, but only selling beer to take away, not to drink inside.  And some restaurants are opening to deliver to homes?  So IMHO, its a matter of wait and see.  But there are ways around things.  The main thing is, how do you get to your chosen site, if you can only do essential travel only, and if you do have an accident, your insurance may not pay out

I think continental sites will open their facilities (ablutions) because 90% of us Continental caravanners don’t have showers in our caravans. 
As most Brits do I can see UK sites leaving their facilities closed.

I’m at our favourite restaurant now, take aways only!

C6DD7E33-709A-4694-AC1C-C3339DA6CEC6.jpeg

Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland are looking at relaxing it measures it is quite possible we may see sites opening, not so sure about England we may see them lagging behind maybe to ate or the end of the year.

• Like 2

July or August in UK and France. May or June in rest of Europe.

Campsites here are all open and all have the toilet blocks open. In Europe I expect the toilet blocks to be open but not sure about UK.

• I agree completely 1

3 minutes ago, AndersG said:

July or August in UK and France. May or June in rest of Europe.

Campsites here are all open and all have the toilet blocks open. In Europe I expect the toilet blocks to be open but not sure about UK.

Here being West Yorkshire?

John

2 minutes ago, JCloughie said:

Here being West Yorkshire?

John

No I'm contracting abroad at the moment. Could be back in the Autumn but not going back until the lockdown ends.

3 hours ago, Black Grouse said:

Not everyone over 70 is vulnerable! 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, compact said:

As it happens, unless you've been away in a bunker and not actually noticed or watched the news - EVERYONE is vulnerable.

• Like 1
  • I agree completely 2

26 minutes ago, compact said:

I know - the wording is over-70 OR vulnerable

• I agree completely 1

May or June in rest of Europe????????????????

That could be as soon as six days away..

Are you sure?

• I do not understand 1

7 minutes ago, wigelywoo said:

May or June in rest of Europe????????????????

That could be as soon as six days away..

Are you sure?

Many Dutch sites are already open (toilet blocks aren’t), most sites are currently planning full opening from 10th May

With exception to social distancing and masks in shops and public transport, life here in Germany is pretty much getting back to some sort of ‘normality’

Restaurants, pubs, and mass public gatherings remain ‘verboten’. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, wigelywoo said:

When and Why do you think sites will re open.

Nobody can give a specific date for all sites but the answer is, when it is safe and only when it is safe. I suspect in reality that caravanners will not be out again in any great numbers this year.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Gordon said:

Nobody can give a specific date for all sites but the answer is, when it is safe and only when it is safe. I suspect in reality that caravanners will not be out again in any great numbers this year.

+1

Leisure travel would be the last thing I would reopen.  But an exception could be made for CMC sites where strict, social distancing was always strictly adhered to  even before Covid 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • I disagree 6

24 minutes ago, fred said:

But an exception could be made for CMC sites where strict, social distancing was always strictly adhered to  even before Covid 

I have to disagree with your second point Fred. There can be no exceptions, otherwise where do you draw the line? It would have to be all sites, or no sites, in my opinion.

• I agree completely 2

I would think that sites may well be allowed to re-open, but not fully, to avoid areas of congregating.

Camping and touring caravan sites will almost certainly be at an advantage, as unlike static sites they do not rely on facilities such as clubhouses, amusement areas, swimming pools, restaurants etc. - and I imagine that these will have to stay closed even when sites are allowed to open.

There will probably be an element of social distancing, which again would give camping and touring caravans an edge, as it will be easy to close every other pitch. Holiday static sites that are entirely rented will be able to add distance by only renting out every other van - but sites with privately owned statics will have a headache trying to arrange that owners only visit on an every-other-van basis.

So I expect sites to be allowed to re-open, with on-site restrictions, later this summer. Whether sites will choose to re-open, whether people will want to visit, and whether the local population will welcome them, is another matter.