On 24/04/2020 at 08:44, Mr Plodd said:

Especially those who are now on furlough with huge mortgages, credit card debts, an uncertain job situation and a couple of children to keep occupied! 

Each and every day we remind ourselves of just how fortunate we are, no mortgage, no credit card debt, secure income from pensions, a garden in which we can enjoy the weather, no health issues. Our life is pretty good and it’s important we don’t lose sight of that.

Speak for yourself.  Many people have had to stop taking their pensions if in drawdown.

On 24/04/2020 at 08:44, Mr Plodd said:

To quote the song at the end of The  Life of Brian 

“Always look on the bright side of life”

Andy

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Especially those who are now on furlough with huge mortgages, credit card debts, an uncertain job situation and a couple of children to keep occupied!    Each and every day we remind ourselv

The lack of compassion and understanding demonstrated by some of the comments on here is quite revealing.   I have some dear friends who have mental health issues, it matters not whether the

TBH we didn't really need to know about your battle with depression although we were interested that you'd had to cancel. However when MalH asked if whether it was making it difficult for others as we

Posted Images

Just now, matelodave said:

The topic is about cancelling holidays - not about how it's affecting your mental heath or even then going into detail about it.

That's another subject worthy of it's own thread for those who feel a need to air or share their thoughts with others of a like disposition or those who are interested or sympathise. Perhaps they wont feel that they are being ignored or put down (although they might if no one else decides to participate). 

It was the same with whoever started getting a bit religious - start a thread on the subject, not hijack one.

You just don't get it do you? Cancelling a holiday may be just an irritation to you but for some people the effect of successive cancellations has very unwelcome cumulative effects.

FWIW - I think most caravanners will have to cancel all trips before next spring - while I don't think the restrictions will be as tight as they are now, I think there will still be social distancing restrictions in place over Christmas and New Year - I think those hoping that the next 3-weekly government review will see an end to restrictions are being unrealistic.

• I agree completely 2

2015 VW Touareg 3. 0 V6 TDI + 2013 Lunar Clubman ES

We are resigned to the fact that we will NOT be going on holiday any time this year.  The pandemic is a deadly serious matter and having to stay at home is a price worth paying.  People are dying of this virus, in this country and abroad and selfish behaviour by the "ME ME ME" brigade is adding to that death toll. 

• I agree completely 1
Just now, bessacarr425 said:

We are resigned to the fact that we will NOT be going on holiday any time this year.  The pandemic is a deadly serious matter and having to stay at home is a price worth paying.  People are dying of this virus, in this country and abroad and selfish behaviour by the "ME ME ME" brigade is adding to that death toll. 

Lets hope were all still around to be able to go on holiday next year or the year after!

1 minute ago, Black Grouse said:

FWIW - I think most caravanners will have to cancel all trips before next spring - while I don't think the restrictions will be as tight as they are now, I think there will still be social distancing restrictions in place over Christmas and New Year - I think those hoping that the next 3-weekly government review will see an end to restrictions are being unrealistic.

Well I think you are too gloomy and unrealistic, yes might go on a couple of 3 week periods but after that.

If it does on as long as you predict there will have been a lot of civil unrest having started by that time.

Yes and a general election included.

• I agree completely 1

Regards, David
Ford Kuga ST line 2ltr. Diesel 2017,  Bailey Pursuit 11 400/2 2018, Emove em303 motor mover, Hyundai 1000i Generator.

2 hours ago, matelodave said:

that's what I said but it seemed to upset some people :rolleyes:

but I said it nicer  ;)

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1
7 minutes ago, AJGalaxy2012 said:

Lets hope were all still around to be able to go on holiday next year or the year after!

and the sites we want to stay on are still in business 

1 minute ago, joanie said:

but I said it nicer  ;)

I guess you did ;)

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
  • I agree completely 1

2018 S-Max Titanium 2. 0 Tdci (177. 54bhp,180ps,132kw) Powershift + 2015 Unicorn III Cadz, Ventura Marlin porch awning

11 hours ago, david 1220 said:

Get a small, cheap Quadcopter & fly in the front room-- use coffee table as a heli pad.............:-)

This is my "front room" (caravan awning)

P1050908.JPG.250f1d04f393da43ced51f40efecdf7b.JPG

This is my"back yard" (pitch)

P1050859.JPG.919115a878abd12249083038ff794e0d.JPG

Here's what I normally fly: so a quad-copter won't really do:(

• Haha 1

I think the mini quadcopter idea is a brilliant idea! I did have a mini helicopter a few years ago, nightmare thing to fly indoors but a quadcopter is a lot more stable. 

Off to eBay to do a bit of searching :D

Andy

p.s. Jealous as hell looking at you paragliding !!! That’s something I have always fancied a go at. 

Experience is an awful teacher who ends up sending you simply horrifying bills

41 minutes ago, Black Grouse said:

Extending the lockdown (first June, now July cancelled) is having a direct effect on the mental health of some people so no hijack, this is part of the topic

I think that mental health is too serious a subject to have the likes of me and you commenting on it, some even offer advice if you ever , not knowing the full story and having no idea if they are causing more issues for the person.  However most of the replies to a person with mental health issues is to compare notes. Please don't come back at me saying I don't  know what I'm talking about , I'm of an age where I

have experienced many things, some of which I have no intention of discussing here. 

As matelodave and myself have said, why not have a new thread and leave this one for those who want a chat about missing out on going to different sites?

• I agree completely 3

Back to the subject. 

We have postponed our April, May holiday in South Wales and Sheringham, both to next year. So something to look forward too. July's holiday is still in the Let's see how it goes waiting room.  September's holiday in Ireland hopefully will be ok. 

Be safe everyone.

Just now, Lady Bird said:

Back to the subject. 

Thank you.

Regards, David
Ford Kuga ST line 2ltr. Diesel 2017,  Bailey Pursuit 11 400/2 2018, Emove em303 motor mover, Hyundai 1000i Generator.

9 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

Jealous as hell looking at you paragliding !!! That’s something I have always fancied a go at. 

Just thought I'd let people know just how mad I was, before all the current malarkey. By the way, sorry to hi-jack this thread but, if you really fancy a go, when things settle down, get in touch with Andrew Pearse at http://www.flyingfrenzy.com/

• Thanks 1
17 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

I think the mini quadcopter idea is a brilliant idea! I did have a mini helicopter a few years ago, nightmare thing to fly indoors but a quadcopter is a lot more stable. 

Off to eBay to do a bit of searching :D

Andy

p.s. Jealous as hell looking at you paragliding !!! That’s something I have always fancied a go at. 

I'm not allowed to fly mine indoors anymore since I took the ceiling light down with it  :rolleyes:

• Haha 1

2018 S-Max Titanium 2. 0 Tdci (177. 54bhp,180ps,132kw) Powershift + 2015 Unicorn III Cadz, Ventura Marlin porch awning

7 minutes ago, matelodave said:

I'm not allowed to fly mine indoors anymore since I took the ceiling light down with it  :rolleyes:

I will try and find a really small one with shielded blades for exactly that reason! 

Andy

Experience is an awful teacher who ends up sending you simply horrifying bills

32 minutes ago, Flying Grandad said:

Here's what I normally fly: so a quad-copter won't really do:(

Would that be tandem or are you up to solo?  If so, do you have your own?

John

Volvo V70 D3 SE (was Peugeot 4007, SsangYong Korando), Pulling a Lunar Clubman SI 2015. If you are depressed, you are living in the past. If you are anxious, you are living in the future. If you are at peace, you are living in the present.

Ironic is it not that some who complained about others going off-topic in this thread are doing just that. :D

• Like 3
  • I agree completely 2
18 hours ago, CommanderDave said:

The local village shop in Durness said they wish it had never been pushed by tourism as they are plagued by hired supercars racing round the NC 500 .

I witnessed a high racing  spec Jaguar and a Mustang fill up with fuel then race off in a cloud of smoke must of been doing 60+ down their 30 mph high Street .

I have nothing against motorhomes but, we were staying near Tain, just off the route, in May 2017. The village we were in was plagued every night by campervans looking for somewhere to park, for free, overnight. We even saw some parked in "passing places"! In my opinion the "campers" were rude and ignorant and spent nothing but time in the village. Everywhere we visited there was some resentment towards those who were "doing" the NC 500. I know there are some lovely places and beautiful scenery up there but, really, some people do take the proverbial.

Right, rant over and back to the topic. Some of you may remember my posts from earlier this year. We have had some "good" news. The first site, in Scotland, we were booked to stay at has decide to stay closed at the time of our visit, so has agreed to refund us. The refund should be back in our bank account at the end of MAY! If it has not been received by then "please feel free to get in touch"! Not bad for a company who wanted payment in full at the beginning of March not sure if we will use them again. The second site has allowed me to cancel my booking with them without penalty, they were a delight to deal with, and we will be booking with them in the future. Our third site has decided that they will be opening on 14th May, so far, and do not have a refund policy in place yet.

Apologies for the long post.

Retirement, the best job I've ever had. The only problem is, I don't get a day off.

You know you're an intellectual when you hear The William Tell Overture and you don't think of the Lone Ranger.

14 minutes ago, Sea&Sand said:

Ironic is it not that some who complained about others going off-topic in this thread are doing just that. :D

As it came after my post I guess that was aimed at me, just need to point out though.  I have not complained.

John

Volvo V70 D3 SE (was Peugeot 4007, SsangYong Korando), Pulling a Lunar Clubman SI 2015. If you are depressed, you are living in the past. If you are anxious, you are living in the future. If you are at peace, you are living in the present.

As I started this Topic am I allowed to close it if so how?

Regards, David

We are still hanging on and hoping for our August booking when we traditionally take the grandkids away for a couple of weeks in the van. If it doesn't transpire, then if the restriction are relaxed a bit, they might come to stay and we'll camp out in the van on the drive and for walks in wide open spaces.

Our tour of Scotland in May is highly unlikely but I've not yet cancelled a couple of the campsites for which we've paid our deposits - I'm waiting for a bit closer to the date but I don't really expect to get the money back. In the whole great scheme of things their need for the cash is probably greater than mine and we'll save a fair few bob by not going in the first place.

I guess that visiting museums, stately homes  and other enclosed spaces wont be a good idea for some time

Our big events this year was to the British GP at Silverstone which is probably going to go for a burton and the big Lincoln Steampunk Festival over August Bank Holiday for which my wife has been busily sewing several new outfits. It's still a vague possibility but I suspect it will be a much scaled down affair if it does go ahead.

11 minutes ago, JCloughie said:

As it came after my post I guess that was aimed at me, just need to point out though.  I have not complained.

John

That was just coincidence John, and I know that you did not complain, it was not aimed at you in any way whatsover.

Edited by Sea&Sand
  • Like 1
On 24/04/2020 at 10:08, Flying Grandad said:

I can't go out to play (BooHoo):angry: Haven't been flying for two months now:( Damn, it's a hard life.;)

I haven’t been flying for 24 years now. I miss it so much that once or twice a month I sit under the stairs all night and read the electricity meter every hour.

• Haha 2
  • I do not understand 1

Talk today about how long the economy can stand the lock down. At some point the powers that be will need to decide if they should ease restrictions to allow people back to work.This may impact on the leisure and tourism industry with some sites opening. If so we will then need to decide if we wish to travel or not. If my august bookings are open I’ll be tempted to go, but only if the local traders are also operating