Compass 450 wall and floor issue

Hi all. Bought our first caravan last November and it's been a hard lesson ever since, bought a lemon and should have scrapped it but took on the refurb. Damp is all dried out and I am now in the process of fixing some faults before re panelling. Came across an issue with kitchen side all and floor, wall has bellied out and floor has sagged.  Any ideas on how to repair/make structure sound again.  Thanks in advance 

20200222_142816.jpg

20200222_125503.jpg

As you will realize by now, the floor is a sandwich construction made up of two sheets of ply with a slab of foam in between.   It is essential that the sandwich is firmly bonded together into one.  If it isn't, the floor will begin to sag at those points.   Plywood and foam needs to be made good and firmly bonded.   If you Google "Floor delamination" you will be led to the required materials.

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

Thanks jaydug & mick for the replies.  It seems to be more structural and not delam as the floor seems to have dropped and the wall bellied out. Making the sandwich structure is straight forward but how to I get the support beams raised level again? 

Hi Chris 19, to lift the floor up I would use a length of strong  wood and one or two jacks. Putting the wood under the caravan floor, I would jack it up so that the floor is in the right place. I would do the same for the wall. Using a jack against a wall and a length of strong wood against the caravan side (putting a towell or blanket between the wood and caravan to limit damage to the caravan finish.) Jack the wall into place then repair at leisure!   I hope that helps. 

Good look and stay safe. 

• I agree completely 1

Thanks Zeberdee, that sounds like a plan. I will hopefully get time in next couple week ends to give it a go. Wont get use this year with the pandemic but hoping to have it in shape for next year. Thanks for the advice, will update once I give it a go. 

9 hours ago, Zeberdee said:

Hi Chris 19, to lift the floor up I would use a length of strong  wood and one or two jacks. Putting the wood under the caravan floor, I would jack it up so that the floor is in the right place. I would do the same for the wall. Using a jack against a wall and a length of strong wood against the caravan side (putting a towell or blanket between the wood and caravan to limit damage to the caravan finish.) Jack the wall into place then repair at leisure!   I hope that helps. 

Good look and stay safe. 

This is good advice. Some strong timber say 4x2 underneath and a trolley jack. You could even screw it (or them) in place temporarily.

You also need the same bracing inside the van. Without this you will get an upward bulge as the delamination resin expands in the one direction. The underside would be perfect and flat, but what good is that if the inside surface that you walk on has  lifted? I wouldn't rely on weight alone (e.g. old car batteries). Screw the wood down. It will also save you ££ in resin.

If your foam core has compressed in places like mine had, you will need braces and screws inside to bring it flat even with the timber underneath.

My similar repair worked out perfect. But watch for water pipes crossing in the lamination. I fell foul here and drilled into one, fortunately I was able to pull new ones through but this wouldn't have been possible if the void was full of resin.

One last thing, absolutely no need to be perfect with the spacing between holes. The resin will flow ok. Get a 8mm drill depth stop to prevent you drilling through the other side. I stopped just short and then used a screwdriver to reach the other ply.

One more last thing. Absolutely no benefit to using two-pack resin. Just get the one shot green stuff which is brilliant and doesn't smell too bad.

oneshotepoxy.jpg

bracing.jpg

Edited by limecc
1 hour ago, Chris 19 said:

Thanks Zeberdee, that sounds like a plan. I will hopefully get time in next couple week ends to give it a go. Wont get use this year with the pandemic but hoping to have it in shape for next year. Thanks for the advice, will update once I give it a go. 

Pictures would be great!

Thanks limecc,  it is great to see the job you done and get advice on it. Gives me hope that my cause is not lost. Hardware stores still closed here (Ireland) so once I can get access to the the materials I need (if I dont have them lying around) I'll get cracking and send some pics. The previous insulation came away with the top board do need to replace this fully so hopefully i won't need the resin in much other places.  Will update once progress is made. Thanks again for the advice