Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Mr Plodd

Cancelled Ferry crossings booked through CMC, ?

Recommended Posts

I have a ferry crossing booked with Brittany Ferries VIA the CMC.

 I know that BF are offering those who booked directly  with them, for what are now cancelled crossings, are getting either a voucher or the opportunity to reschedule their crossing.

 

Has anyone any experience as to how the CMC are dealing with cancelled BF crossings booked through them? are they offering the same options? Cant find any info on the CMC website (no surprise there then eh?) 

 

Thanks

 

Andy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Andy. 

I had a return fare booked through CMC for June with Brittany. 

Obviously cannot go so rung up about 4 weeks ago and explored my options. 

As I had only paid the deposit I was offered a refund of the 75 pounds. The money was in the bank about a week later. I was told it was a gesture given the circumstances. 

However I know somebody else who booked through club Poole crossing and again with Brittany and was told no refund and he got nowhere

Why the different outcome I don't know. 

Andrew 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I am in a similar position with a direct booking that should be going next Tuesday to Spain and have rescheduled it to this October when I will reschedule it again for next June (2021) 

 

What I am trying to ascertain is how a booking via CMC for a little later will be dealt with if it’s cancelled because I have paid the full amount up front rather than just the deposit.

 

Andy

Edited by Mr Plodd

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi,

 

Early January booked via the CMC for a P&O return crossing ,  Hull / Rotterdam for the end of May, return early July and paid deposit.  Remainder of cost due to be taken from credit card eight weeks prior to departure (end March / early April).  Spoke to CMC who agreed to put a stop on the automatic deduction until they were able to discuss with me alternatives .  They were unable to do so at time as busy repatriating member from abroad .  Following later discussions with CMC I was offered the chance to rebook for later in year or a full refund of the deposit I had paid.  Accepted refund as not sure what our situation would be later in year.

 

Not sure if we received a refund due to having taken four nights camp site vouchers as part of the deal (made crossing cheaper than P&O direct cost).  Possible that this made the transaction classified as a holiday.

 

Not sure if this helps but hope you are able to deal with it to your satisfaction.

 

Dave

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We originally booked Brittany Ferries with the CMC and paid in full ready to go last October.  My husband's sudden

ill health meant postponing it to March this year for £20, which I have done in the past when necessary. In January I learned that I would be having a hip replacement in March/April and rang CMC to postpone again to October. This was before all the Corona problems but I was told that under their new terms and conditions Brittany Ferries would only postpone for a month or I could cancel and have a refund of £250 from my £1100 payment. I had to point out quite forcefully that I had not booked under their new terms and eventually it was agreed that I could postpone the outward bound to the end of October and they would hang on to the other £500 for booking the inward trip back when their booking period opened.

 

Now I doubt very much if we will want to go unless a vaccine has been found or it is possible I will be having the hip operation which was cancelled in April because of the virus, so I expect that we will lose the money anyway. 

 

The so annoying thing is I could have claimed from Red Pennant for the original postponed trip as hubby had a doctor's certificate to say he couldn't travel, but thought at the time that that would cost £200 RP fee and we would want to go in the spring so might as well just postpone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I booked a DFDS crossing through the Caravan Club and seven nights on a site in France for June. Spoke to someone at the club last week and was told the deposit on the site would be refunded but the full amount I had paid for the ferry could not be refunded but I could change the date of the crossing for another time so long as I changed it before the date of the original crossing and the new date is before the end of December 2020.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Blackbird said:

Hi,

 

Early January booked via the CMC for a P&O return crossing ,  Hull / Rotterdam for the end of May, return early July and paid deposit.  Remainder of cost due to be taken from credit card eight weeks prior to departure (end March / early April).  Spoke to CMC who agreed to put a stop on the automatic deduction until they were able to discuss with me alternatives .  They were unable to do so at time as busy repatriating member from abroad .  Following later discussions with CMC I was offered the chance to rebook for later in year or a full refund of the deposit I had paid.  Accepted refund as not sure what our situation would be later in year.

 

Not sure if we received a refund due to having taken four nights camp site vouchers as part of the deal (made crossing cheaper than P&O direct cost).  Possible that this made the transaction classified as a holiday.

 

Not sure if this helps but hope you are able to deal with it to your satisfaction.

 

Dave

Strange thing but my 4 vouchers arrived yesterday despite having cancelled and had money back. Great result 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

If the ferry is cancelled you should get full refund.

Edited by AndersG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The plot thickens.  Don't assume ferry cancellations will continue. 

 

Statement today from CEO of Brittany Ferries (see their website) says he hopes sailings will resume before too long.  So if the ships are sailing, but passengers decline to travel,  there might still be the chance of amending a booking , but little chance of a refund. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

BF to Spain can be booked from mid May.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Andy,

I had ferry + vouchers booked with CMC sailing BF to Caen on 1 May returning mid June.  Earlier this month,, I was told in an email from the CMC that BF were still going to charge me 15% increasing as the sailing date approached to cancel as BF had not cancelled the ferry at that point.  The CMC agreed to exchange my booking for an October crossing at the same price with a view to moving it again to 2021 when next years crossings are available - I will have to pay any fare increase.  This was done by an exchange of emails and I now have a new email booking for October and an email trail so that I can insist on the change at no charge by the CMC to 2021. 

 

This suited my circumstances and future plans and I had used this method with DFDS  on the Newcastle - Amsterdam route a couple of years ago when a medical problem prevented our trip that year.  If your ferry is cancelled, I understand that you should be entitled to a full money refund even if they offer vouchers.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Had a call today from cmc who asked what my intentions were for our upcoming 22may return crossing to Holland 

 

the lady told me stenna line  are 

hoping  to restart on the 15 May but we can ask for a refund if we don’t want to go, 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A big “Thank you” to everyone who has responded, the situation would appear to be as I suspected.

 

IF the sailing is cancelled then it appears there are  a few couple of options

1. Take a refund

2. Rebook for a later date (within 12 months of the original sailing) 

3. If I am “disinclined to travel” then I will lose my deposit at least, if not all of the money paid, depending on how close to the sailing date I cancel.

 

I have taken option 2 for my (cancelled) sailing next Tuesday to Spain which I booked direct with BF.

My trip to France (booked via CMC to get the “free” caravan offer, Hence my question as to their policy) is not until August so I will wait and see what the overall travel situation is then. 

 

I am somewhat surprised that the ferry companies are taking bookings for mid May seeing as we don’t know when our travel restrictions will be lifted OR the FCO change their advice from “Essential foreign travel only” thus voiding most holiday insurance. 

 I wonder what the situation will be if the Ferries start  running again for passengers (not just freight as now) but places like France, as has been suggested they might, keep their borders closed to non Schengen agreement countries I.e. the U.K. ?

 

In the end I reckon I would rather lose my money than my life. 

 

Andy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a booking with the Camping and Caravan club due to depart in a months time, I cannot contact the club as there lines are closed and have sent emails , with a reply that they are understaffed and contacting people in date order.

 

DFDS state “Sailing to normal schedules for freight and those undertaking essential travel.”(Newhaven route)
 

My travel is not essential , so I will not be carried.

 

I also contacted DFDS , who said the agent should deal with This, But they will give me a future travel credit, I replied and said I will deal with the club.

 

Any one else had dealings with C&CC lately.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

FWIW ...

Maybe a point to consider ....

Sadly whenever there is any chaos with bookings & cancellations or Travel trauma, as there was again recently, I would much prefer to have booked direct. You then at least have the opportunity to speak to the actual operator direct (often 24/7). The two clubs operate their own telephone switchboard limited opening times (or if even answering and not call jammed) and often have just old third hand news.

£300 in extra costs were incurred by us for our 17/3/20 crossing due to inability to contact CCC and amend bookings & un-told personal worry & trauma. Booked Direct on Eurotunnel website at 3.20am that day eventually. Dont think via CMC bookings were doing any better. 

I do accept being able to argue with CMC or CCC can equally sometimes be helpful. 

Now the dust has settled it's easy to discuss things at leisure.

Personally will definately just pay the bit extra for our next direct booking with the Operator, but as always await critic ....

M

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can’t see how the ferries can start carrying passengers if this country or the country people are travelling to are still saying “essential travel only” .

 

It will be pretty obvious that people towing Caravans are not on essential journeys.

 

Ian

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, montesa said:

£300 in extra costs were incurred by us

Hi montessa, just posted in another thread re the savings to be made booking a 'combined fare' with CMC on a BF crossing-its not much less than your costs which are for what is a very unusual situation. I have had reason to contact both CMC and BF direct when changes needed to be  made and had no real issues with either but that might not be the case at the moment.

 

3 minutes ago, IanV8 said:

can’t see how the ferries can start carrying passengers if this country or the country people are travelling to are still saying “essential travel only” .

Hi Ian, it may be that the ferry companies are better informed than we are as they viatl to the transport of medicines and goods that are needed?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

According to the P&O site I can still book a ferry from Dover to Calais tomorrow even though the French government  will not let you disembark.

 I am still trying to get a full refund for my trip booked through the CMC for the first of June.

As I am in "Shielding" until the 18th of June, obviously. I will not be able to travel.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, tonyradstone said:

I have a booking with the Camping and Caravan club due to depart in a months time, I cannot contact the club as there lines are closed and have sent emails , with a reply that they are understaffed and contacting people in date order.

 

DFDS state “Sailing to normal schedules for freight and those undertaking essential travel.”(Newhaven route)
 

My travel is not essential , so I will not be carried.

 

I also contacted DFDS , who said the agent should deal with This, But they will give me a future travel credit, I replied and said I will deal with the club.

 

Any one else had dealings with C&CC lately.

 

 

Hi Tony

I booked ferries to/from Bilbao through C&CC last December. I travelled out to Spain in February and was due to return at the end of this month. Due to the virus and lockdown in Spain I brought the return sailing forward to the end of March, (through the C&CC) this was then cancelled by BF and I was given an new date of 16 April (by BF direct), which was again cancelled by BF.

 

Due to the deteriating situation in Spain and closure of borders we booked direct with P&O and drove to Calais and sailed from there. The net result was that I am still owed the cost of a cancelled Bilbao/Portsmouth sailing.

 

I contacted C&CC two weeks ago via the website form (all phone lines are closed). I am still awaiting a reply. I realise that there are a lot of people to deal with, but the reason for contacting them was that I paid for the end of March return as a new booking receiving the refund for the end of April a few days later. What I was looking for was confirmation that they acknowledge the payment for the cancelled Bilbao/Portsmouth sailing is still outstanding.

 

Tom

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I received a full refund this week for the deposit we had paid for a combined BF crossing and sites trip in June. I chose to cancel myself on 26th March, because I didn’t want to pay the balance on 2nd April. At the time I was asked if I wanted to move the booking, but explained we couldn’t, so was advised we would get a refund within 14 days. It actually took 26 days to arrive, so a bit of patience is needed. I think it helped that we had booked a package, not just a ferry crossing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...