New Caravan on Order - A conundrum.

Message added by CT Advertising,

CoachmanEach Coachman caravan is built to our exacting standards using state-of-the-art construction methods and materials and finished with the highest levels of specification and features.

We strive to move forward in our quest to create the perfect caravan.
Visit Coachman.co.uk for further details.

Very nicely and eloquently put. Hope it all works out for you, and all the CTers as well. 

• Like 1
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A caravan that is manufactured in say August will NOT be obsolete in September. What it might be is slightly different to a “new” model that is introduced in Sept.    Think of it terms of a

My Bailey Estoril should have been delivered around about now but I'm not getting all wound up about it.   I'm only 73 (so perhaps a bit younger than you) but I can't really see that either

As I write the last two weeks in April should have resulted in Coachman beginning the build of a new VIP 565 with delivery to the dealer in early May. Both now closed for business. Yes I know and resp

A very thoughtful post.

I assume the caravan firms are trying to plan, but without knowing when restrictions will be lifted and to what extent they can say very little.

Bernard, I ordered a 565 in June but was told my new one would not be ready until August and would be the last van on the 2016 production line. I went ahead and bought it and was so glad I did because they made a couple of alterations to the 2017  model that would have put me off.

for what it’s worth, stick with the van you fell in love with, you might otherwise be disappointed.

btw you will love the layout, it is so nice to just fall into bed without the faff of moving cushions and sleeping bags/duvets around, plus you could even be saving yourself a few bob......Peter

• Like 1

Peter and Sandy pulling a 2016 Coachman VIP 565 with

2016 Ford Kuga 2. 0. 180 ps. Titanium Nav.

Retired and loving it.

Lovely post Bernard-wishing you all the very best. Hopefully things will be resolved and you will be delighted and we'll be all heading off to caravan sites soon! Keep safe.

Like Peterjohn we did buy our caravan late in the season, we did look at the updated ones next year and were glad to see we liked the one we bought better. If you are happy with it then stick with what you like if you can.

• 5 weeks later...

Just an update on my position.

Contains both some good news and perhaps some, not such goods news. Hope it's not in the long term as Private Fraser in Dad's Army infamously said, We're doomed, doomed!!

17th May phoned by Dealer to say that as a dealership they would be returning to business on the 8th June and that the van ordered in January should have been arriving the following day, 18th May, for the obvious reasons of the coronavirus delayed  but that confirmation been given by Coachman that it would now be received on the 20th July - approximately nine weeks behind schedule;  then available after the PDI, approximately a week,  for collection, we have nowhere to go!! Yes, might have improved arising from the Boris July announcement; and the extent of any further opening up of the economy; we shall see.

Thats the good news. Now for the 'iffy' bit. Just scrolling through the forum this morning and seen under the sub-heading Caravan Chat the news that Broadlane Caravans, Alcester; yes the supplying dealer, were in negotiations with the supermarket Aldi for the purchase of their site for redevelopment. It's worth a read.

OK, yes this will not happen overnight and at least I will have the van. The unknown for me is in terms of any warranty issues and the yearly service, and equally worrying for everyone else including the employees,  is the long term future; will it move location into nearby and brand new purpose built premises, continuing to exist or is this the signs of an early demise.

This will be my first major acquisition from Broad Lane at seventy plus miles travel as opposed to present 35 mile journey. I hope I don't come to regret it!!

Let's hope its a new chapter of confidence and that as Fraser said; we're  doomed, doomed. Never rains, but it pours!!

Keep safe in these challenging times.

Bernard in Tring

There's Talk in the industry and that's all it is at the moment, that "new" 'vans will be model year on the 1st January. So a 2021 model 'van will actually be that, a 2021 model, not a  2021 model from October 2020. Not sure how the two big shows in October and February will be affected, maybe one will go?

2019 Adria Adora Thames

40 minutes ago, Pebble said:

There's Talk in the industry and that's all it is at the moment, that "new" 'vans will be model year on the 1st January. So a 2021 model 'van will actually be that, a 2021 model, not a  2021 model from October 2020. Not sure how the two big shows in October and February will be affected, maybe one will go?

To make that model year change, they'd have to make the model change during the Christmas shutdown - that's not likely to happen.

2015 VW Touareg 3. 0 V6 TDI + 2013 Lunar Clubman ES

Posted (edited)

As you say, about Broad Lane, if/when they sell their current premises to Aldi, it’s not likely to be for a while, and more importantly, they are not selling up to end their dealership, they have said that they will relocate (hence the possible delay in moving out so that Aldi can move in). So, any warranty work and dealership backup will still be in place. They are a very well respected and established dealership. 

They will not be closing!

I hope that allays your fears?

Edited by nigel207
Additional information
  • Like 2

1958 Morris Minor towing 2012 Hobby Landhaus

42 minutes ago, Black Grouse said:

To make that model year change, they'd have to make the model change during the Christmas shutdown - that's not likely to happen.

Why can't it happen at Christmas, current changeover occurs at the summer shut down, just delayed by 5 months.

New models are normally launched at the Lawns in September so that's when the next years models need to be on display.  My last two caravans were actually built late in the previous  year and were sold as the following  years caravans.  Christmas would be too late given that the years models would not even appear till some time into the year as there has to be time to build them.

Crikey, cabin fever strikes !

What does it matter what year it was manufactured in? Many motorhomes spend 2 or 3 (.org sometimes even more) years between being built and being sold. They are viewed as being new on the date of original registration, and that’s the date that is used in working out its value at present at PX time. 

Andy

• Like 1

Experience is an awful teacher who ends up sending you simply horrifying bills

3 minutes ago, Wildwood said:

New models are normally launched at the Lawns in September so that's when the next years models need to be on display.  My last two caravans were actually built late in the previous  year and were sold as the following  years caravans.  Christmas would be too late given that the years models would not even appear till some time into the year as there has to be time to build them.

It's quite simple, cancel lawns and October shows, launch at February show, doubt if anyone will be going to any shows this year anyway!

• I agree completely 1

Lawns won't happen anywa y this year or any year after that-the University has closed the site and the 'Lawns show' is relocating to Harrogate. Whether or not it'll go ahead is I suppose dependent on covid! 

4 hours ago, Bernard in Tring said:

This will be my first major acquisition from Broad Lane at seventy plus miles travel as opposed to present 35 mile journey. I hope I don't come to regret it!!

Bernard in Tring

Bernard

According to Google Maps, the other branch of Broad Lane at Kenilworth is about 5 miles closer to Tring . . . . . . !!

We have also been contacted by our local dealer (Kimberley) to advise that our VIP 565 is due to be built by the end of July (was to be end of May). I was also offered an existing van from stock at Darlington (built in February) but decided to wait for the new one.

I hope all goes well for you (and me !!)

Mike

• Like 1

Be positive man, why are you worrying about " Warranty Work " , not everything made is faulty ! I got a new car last July , done nearly 10,000 kilometers now and it hasn't had one fault ! Trust your judgment of the right choice.

• Like 1

have you looked up Coachman  NCC Approved  Workshops for any warantee work?  Also while you are waiting go to the Coachman website and download  your hand books and have a read

• 3 weeks later...

The caravan design process starts usually after the summer shutdown and is usually finished by mid feb. Then the new models are run down the production lines to make the first sample vans, in between normal production. Any snags will be reworked and the final design will be re run down the lines for the show vans.

Production vans usually start full production in August, bust sometimes can be slotted in before the summer shutdown if needed.

It would be very difficult to get the design and sample builds done before Christmas, unless they are only doing graphic changes and no furniture or layout design changes

In the current climate, and it was me in charge of a caravan manufacturer, I think I would be adopting the attitude “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” and basically “jump” a year model wise.

I would think very few owners are now looking to change this year anyway.

Andy

• I agree completely 1

Experience is an awful teacher who ends up sending you simply horrifying bills

Posted (edited)
On 23/05/2020 at 15:46, Mr Plodd said:

Many motorhomes spend 2 or 3 (.org sometimes even more) years between being built and being sold. They are viewed as being new on the date of original registration, and that’s the date that is used in working out its value at present at PX time. 

Andy

Im not sure this is right. Caravans are alocated VIN's at the production planning stage and then built to that VIN and despatched with it on the plate, and documents.  Caravan dealers usually base their PX values on the year given in the VIN.  I dont think caravan manufacturer will alter the VIN number after build planning is complete as the VIN determines the BOM (bill of material). 

Edited by Ern

Ern

One of you says motorhomes the other caravans, are we confused?

Regards, David
Ford Kuga ST line 2ltr. Diesel 2017,  Bailey Pursuit 11 400/2 2018, Emove em303 motor mover, Hyundai 1000i Generator.

14 minutes ago, David 38 said:

One of you says motorhomes the other caravans, are we confused?

The thread is about a caravan. It doesnt actually matter much though because motor homes are bult the same way as any other vehicle aren't they - a Ducato base vehicle can only have the VIN it was produced with, so its age is undeniable. Pehaps I am missing something (I often do!). 

Ern

3 minutes ago, Ern said:

a Ducato base vehicle can only have the VIN it was produced with, so its age is undeniable.

The major difference between caravan and motor homes. 
for a caravan, dealers use the VIN number to find age, then use this for valuation. 
For Motorhomes, they use the registration plate. I.E. when it was registered, which is the assumed date of being put into service  
Effectively you could have a Motorhome and a caravan, both 2 years old before being sold / used. Come trade in time, the caravan would be viewed as been older

8 minutes ago, Lost in the wilderness said:

The major difference between caravan and motor homes. 
for a caravan, dealers use the VIN number to find age, then use this for valuation. 
For Motorhomes, they use the registration plate. I.E. when it was registered, which is the assumed date of being put into service  
Effectively you could have a Motorhome and a caravan, both 2 years old before being sold / used. Come trade in time, the caravan would be viewed as been older

Well thats a point.  When we sold our motorhome privately I advertised it as the Reg year and didnt even look at the VIN number on the V5. I didnt look when I bought it either. I still refer to the point of the thread though, which is about caravans. What will happen to the 2020 caravans?  

Ern

As the Prof says-perhaps consolidation of current ranges  and layouts-rather than new designs ; but I bet there will be a spruce up  eg different worktop colours, cupboard colours, upholstery and exterior graphics just to make them look that bit different?

• Like 1